Mandatory helmets for pitchers after player dies

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Yes I do realize that. You do realize I was using sarcasm when I used the term whopping, but carry on....

If you reduce the exit velocity to say 70mph off the bat from 90 by deadening the bats you now get 0.487 seconds of reaction time at 50 feet and you don't have to move the mound at all. You and I both know when we started playing back in the early 90s the ball was not moving as fast as it is now off the bats.

so you don't think rocks and swingin ultras, og synergys were not coming off as hard as they are now....u gotta be crazy

In the early 90s we were swinging 34+ ounce aluminum, not ultras and synergies

I never said the early 90s I was swingin that, it was TPS and Easton 28 oz. I actually tried to swing one of those steeles 36oz logs, just ridiculous to swing

RIF

AydenB00

The Rookie
ok
we get your point but you are minimizing the issue at hand.
This young man was out having fun and lost his life over a freak accident that we all wish on NO ONE.....
Seriously you need to stop making useless points on a serious issue...
This was a FUCCKED up situation and you are making it WORSE with silly azz points...
STOP IT..and sit your azz down somewhere
So either you get my point or they're useless points, make up your mind. when someone dies it is a bad situation no matter the circumstances. explain to me how I could make it worse then that....now get off your high horse

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
first off, it's a terrible tragedy and should be treated as such. my condolences to the family.

secondly, whenever the debate comes up about requiring pitcher protection, i draw my argument from the same spot that i get my motorcycle helmet argument. a lot of people feel like they shouldn't have to wear a helmet if they don't want to because it's their life and should be free to do what they want. i don't see it that way because that's an incredibly selfish way to think of things. think about all of the people you know that could be affected by your death. i also argue that the poor person who hits a motorcycle rider/was the batter in this case has to live forever with what happened and always wonder "what if they had worn a helmet." people that don't think beyond themselves or deflect/find the blame are a real problem. it sounds like their is no real fault here as it sounds like it is a freak accident, but accidents happen and planning for them can make a real difference. always gear up. any other argument can be picked apart as well but that's not the road we should go down.

thirdly, i'm rambling

AydenB00

The Rookie
people need to start looking in the mirror on who is to blame. Its all a trickle down effect and there are too many hands in the cookie jar trying to make money. if the associations would say use this ball and this ball only things could change but they leave the rules to wide open, so now the local leagues will pick and choose which ball to use, then the players get all pissy if the ball sucks.

Country469

people need to start looking in the mirror on who is to blame. Its all a trickle down effect and there are too many hands in the cookie jar trying to make money. if the associations would say use this ball and this ball only things could change but they leave the rules to wide open, so now the local leagues will pick and choose which ball to use, then the players get all pissy if the ball sucks.

Last edited:

blakcherry329

Unlimited Arc is an aberration and should be outlawed. :eek:;):p
I stopped playing ASA a few years ago cuz I hated trying to hit 14'+ arc pitches.

The higher the arc, the more time you have to set up and get ready. So it stands to reason that you have a better chance of making a play/protecting yourself in Unlimited and even some ASA leagues that still give you the really high arc pitches.

Most of the time I see a pitcher getting hit is when he is moving around, trying to cover a hole. My philosophy is step back and get set. I try to position the middle fielder according to the hitter, if I know them. Some might say that leaves a hole up the middle on one side or the other. I say how effective of a fielder will the pitcher be if he's moving as the ball is traveling to the plate, even if he is in the right area?

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
first off, it's a terrible tragedy and should be treated as such. my condolences to the family.

secondly, whenever the debate comes up about requiring pitcher protection, i draw my argument from the same spot that i get my motorcycle helmet argument. a lot of people feel like they shouldn't have to wear a helmet if they don't want to because it's their life and should be free to do what they want. i don't see it that way because that's an incredibly selfish way to think of things. think about all of the people you know that could be affected by your death. i also argue that the poor person who hits a motorcycle rider/was the batter in this case has to live forever with what happened and always wonder "what if they had worn a helmet." people that don't think beyond themselves or deflect/find the blame are a real problem. it sounds like their is no real fault here as it sounds like it is a freak accident, but accidents happen and planning for them can make a real difference. always gear up. any other argument can be picked apart as well but that's not the road we should go down.

thirdly, i'm rambling

Just to add to this, the decision to not wear a helmet affects other people's decisions as well. New and inexperienced players, kids, opponents, etc. When they see you not wearing a helmet pitching, they either think that's how the game is played or don't want to look like a wuss. They also might not be aware of the risks, like more experienced players. Making pitching masks/helments mandatory take these issues completely out of the equation, hugely mitigates the risk of head and facial injuries, and has a tiny impact on the way the game is played.

Anyone who says there are risks to everything and to move on is an idiot. Do you make your kids wear a seatbelt in your car? Do they wear a helmet riding a bike? motorcycle? hockey? football?

If mandatory pitching helmets saves 1 life, that's pretty ****ing good for such a tiny change.

tattooball

I don't know what ball was being used but a .44 has higher speeds in the first 120 ft than a .52.

Either way this is just a horrible tragedy that should not have happened. The bad part is bats are to hot.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Bats are too light too, which highly contributes to the problem. I had whiffle ball bats that were heavier than what some of these guys are swinging today.

This I agree with. I think there should be a minimum weight bats can be... and it shouldn't be below 28 oz. Look at what NCAA baseball did with BBCOR bats. -3 length to weight ratio. The bats are FAR deader in college baseball now than they used to be. Softball needs something very similar to happen.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
I never skied with a helmet until a few years ago when the wife got one for me and asking, not demanding I wear it. Took a little getting used to but now I don't even notice it really. Last year a less experienced friend checked his speed right into my line and had a bad collision and landed on my head and got a concussion even with the helmet. It would have been much much worse if I didn't have it.
Point is, we can feel really confident that we are in control and can handle a situation and damn it if we make a mistake, we'll take it like a man. You know what? **** that. It's easy to say before it happens, or with a near miss. But if something bad does happen, you might really regret not putting your pride aside and protecting yourself. Life is full of curveballs(pun?), and you never know when it is coming your way.
It's your life, your journey, so do what you will. This is your one trip unless you believe in more. Whatever.

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
I play in a wood bat league, an aluminum bat league and ASA approved composite league. I don't pitch in the wood bat league because it is modified but I do play first and third. I pitch in the Aluminum and Composite leagues.

I don't have any scientific proof, but the difference in reaction time is exponential. Also the severity of the bruises from catching one off the leg is much worse with a composite.

If the associations have any concern for safety they need to dial back how hot these bats are. If LDs are concerned about safety they need to tests bats regularly not just at the start of the season.

I would also advocate for raising the arc to 15 feet.

LeftBench

Addicted to Softballfans
for a guy who says it's their own fault for getting killed by a batted ball in a thread where one of his good friends is talking about his family, yes. this qualifies for the all decade award

coming from a guy who has been banned for commenting about another board members deceased mother.........

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans
Well this thread went as about expected.. lol. All I can say, that if this tragedy keeps someone else from getting injured or causes someone else to lose their life, is it worth it. As I sit here on Christmas, knowing he will not be, his WIDOW beside herself kind of gets me in the feels. His background was he played ball all his life, played college ball (starter) and all. Played at a high level with exceptional hands AND if this could happen to him, it could happen to anyone. The game is just that A GAME..... I'm not trying to alter someones life by playing it. It has altered many lives as it is. Many associations are making adjustments (offering a screen or a helmet) to pitchers which in my opinion is great.

Play hard, be safe and enjoy the game!!

May you ALL have a Merry Christmas and may Greg R.I.P.

Last edited:

jhitman

Well this thread went as about expected.. lol. All I can say, that if this tragedy keeps someone else from getting injured or causes someone else to lose their life, it is worth it. As I sit here on Christmas, knowing he will not be, his WIDOW beside herself kind of gets me in the feels. His background was he played ball all his life, played college ball (starter) and all. Played at a high level with exceptional hands AND if this could happen to him, it could happen to anyone. The game is just that A GAME..... I'm trying to alter someones life by playing it. It has altered many lives as it is. Many associations are making adjustments (offering a screen or a helmet) to pitchers which in my opinion is great.

Well said and my deepest sympathies for the loss of your friend.

daddyfrank

Addicted to Softballfans
I personally know 2 guys who now have titanium plates in their face due to being hit. One guy was hit with a Clincher F12 & the other with a Clincher F12G. It's very possible to inflict severe damage with a softer ball.

If I may be completely honest, you can almost predict who is susceptible:
  • No experience
  • No control
  • Letting your pitching motion carry you into home plate
  • Not getting into a proper defensive position
  • Bad overall mechanics
These are the things that I see from the majority of rec players & even some tourney players. A lot of them are totally oblivious to the danger. The level of danger is particularly heightened in coed when you have an inexperienced girl pitching & an athletic twenty-something year old guy with no knowledge of softball etiquette, not a whole lot of experience playing & looking to show off. They have no idea of where they're hitting the ball most of the time! Usually, when I see a potentially dangerous situation, I will be proactive & tell the involved parties to be mindful. Yeah, I know, not my job......, but I would rather do this than have to write an injury report in the aftermath.

Some things are totally unavoidable in the modified & fast pitch game. A pitcher's momentum naturally takes them towards the plate. But slow pitch? There's no excuse........

That wasn’t the case here. Greg was a very experienced player. Great glove, quick hands, played SS, middle infielder and pitcher. In my 12 years of playing tournaments I’m pretty sure I saw him at every one and he played in multiple leagues as well. As Hacker stated earlier Greg pitched the ball, dropped back to cover the hole and the ball deflected off his glove. It’s a freak accident and a tragedy and my prayers go out to his wife and family.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
yes common sense would say that, BUT what is the actual data. great ,move it back 3 feet and a ball coming at you 90mph, how much movement can the body make?
This has to be the dumbest reply back to one of the most logical statements in this thread . You’re asking for data on something that is proven by physics? That’s like saying if you get closer to a raging fire that you still need proof that it gets hotter. Unreal dude ... the further back you get the more time you have to react. How you need data for this is truly dumbfounding

AydenB00

The Rookie
This has to be the dumbest reply back to one of the most logical statements in this thread . You’re asking for data on something that is proven by physics? That’s like saying if you get closer to a raging fire that you still need proof that it gets hotter. Unreal dude ... the further back you get the more time you have to react. How you need data for this is truly dumbfounding

and this has to be the absolute dumbest reply to a reply, no **** Sherlock on there would be more movement the further you move back....the data I would be looking for, would be how much movement can you make. I mean it would take a little common sense on your part to think that would be the data someone would be looking for.... just think it about for a minute

dunkky

well.. i might have some data.. If i am wrong, then, math dude can correct it.
90 mph = 475200 ft
ball travels 132 ft per sec.

distance from a mound to home is about 50 ft(not sure on this one, seems to vary)
according to a brain surgeon above, it registers our brain when ball is about the half way which is 25 ft.

so, 25/132 = 0.189 sec. so you have 0.189 sec to react and save your face.
now if you take a few steps back, which i think is about ~5ft (assumption made based on what i saw from major league pitchers from youtube)

that give us extra 5 ft, so 30/132 = 0.227 sec to react and save your pretty face.

0.227 - 0.189 = 0.038 sec.
you gained 0.038 sec by moving a few steps back.

0.038 sec is ~20% of 0.189 sec.

that number is significant enough i think. it gives you extra 20% more sec to save your life.

i kinda did some stupid thing trying to see how fast i can raise my arm from my chest to my face.. I didn't measure but it takes about 0.2 sec or even less from my observation.

remember, every inch counts here where the ball will hit you. within an inch difference you are looking at no injury - light injury - serious injury - death.

so, from practical point of view, is it worth?, answer is HELL yes. Remember, it's not just fast ball, even 50mph can kill you when it hits right spot. not everyone has same reaction time, some are more athletic than others. that case, slower the ball, more reaction time you gain, so, it is no brainer to take a few steps back.

tonys1

Sorry guys for the noob question. There’s a lot of talk that the new bats are too hot, but why hasn’t ASA updated their banned bat list in so many years? I can’t speak for other associations as I don’t know if they’ve updated anything...

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry guys for the noob question. There’s a lot of talk that the new bats are too hot, but why hasn’t ASA updated their banned bat list in so many years? I can’t speak for other associations as I don’t know if they’ve updated anything...
When people make a bat that's not for ASA, they just don't put an ASA stamp on it. Back in the day they were banning previously legal ASA bats so they had to keep a list. It became pointless when people realized they were making a ton of bats without the stamp.

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
Well this thread went as about expected.. lol. All I can say, that if this tragedy keeps someone else from getting injured or causes someone else to lose their life, is it worth it. As I sit here on Christmas, knowing he will not be, his WIDOW beside herself kind of gets me in the feels. His background was he played ball all his life, played college ball (starter) and all. Played at a high level with exceptional hands AND if this could happen to him, it could happen to anyone. The game is just that A GAME..... I'm not trying to alter someones life by playing it. It has altered many lives as it is. Many associations are making adjustments (offering a screen or a helmet) to pitchers which in my opinion is great.

Well said Bill. I didn't bother to go through the middle 4 pages of this thread after I saw the direction it was going in. I can't say I was close with Fusco as I wasn't, but I couldn't even tell you how many league and tournament games I played against him. Stand up dude with a very solid glove. Couldn't believe the news when I first read he was in a coma, really couldn't believe it when I heard he passed. Horrible situation for everyone and it probably couldn't have happened to someone that loved the game more than Greg.

melkyway11

That is my friend that died. I was/currently playing ball with him and have been for the last almost 15yrs. A terrible accident. He got married, went on his honeymoon, came back mid that week and played Saturday when he got hit. They air lifted him to Jax due to the severity of the injury where 2 weeks later he passed. His wife Taylor will have been married , gone a honeymoon and widowed in less than 30days. A true tragedy!!! May Greg R.I.P. and Taylor find the peace that she needs to cope with all of this. God Bless!
So sorry man