Middle retaliation question.....

SigAlphAblott

Addicted to Softballfans
They were determined to get you. League Night All-Stars in FULL EFFECT!

I don't understand why the blue took your bat. If middle's open and the ball hit the ground before it hit him, all is fair. If it hit him on the fly and he took it then yes I'll go for that. Some tournaments are that way.

Had an incident last week with this. Lost bat control a little, didn't let the high pitch get deep enough to push it backside and I buzzed the tower, but only off the side of the pitcher's head. Guy on deck said looked like he got the glove up just in time, but from my angle he didn't glove it, the pitcher turned his head just enough to make it an angled surface to hit off of rather than square on. I didn't even go to first, went straight to the mound and him. Appologized a few times during the game, but the opposing guys with bat control did go at our pitcher a few times. So clearly appologizing and acknowledging your bad and no intentions of that isn't enough for league nights anymore.

If I'm trying to go middle I'm hitting it at his feet because most of us have families and jobs to go to after the game, and it's not malicious I'm just trying to spread the field and fix my timing. Except for single wall leagues, if the pitch is there I'm going middle if you you aint a chick or above 50.

Just Enough

Addicted to Softballfans
I like staring out at the pitcher, and watching the middle infield and outfield pinch and leaving the gaps open to be exploited.

Classax

Act Like You Know
If you pitch outside and low, you are asking to get one back up the box. Most guys won't go with the pitch to the oppo, and even fewer have the bat control to still place that pitch where they want. That said, accidents happen. I've accidently blown up a pitcher or two or tweenty over the years looking to hit the CF gap and catching too much of the ball resulting in a missle right at them. When that happens, I don't even run to first, I apologize and take a seat (unless its a tourney). Its funny, I've only once had to have a non verbal conversation with the opposing team about sportsmanship via their pitcher after having a teammate be illtreated. It resulted in my instant ejection from the game and the need for a new pitcher. Now in that particular league against that particular team whenever things get tense, I always wind up with intentional walks for the duration of the game... That was a really extreme case, but as a rule I see no need to intentionally risk hurting anybody over the out come of a game of softball.

His bat was probably taken because he hit the pitcher. That's how it should be always. Anytime a pitcher is hit the bat should be taken and tested. If it passes, it's returned and you continue to buzz middle. If it doesn't, enjoy your ban for being a ***** and swinging cut ****.

batting4th

Addicted to Softballfans
I blow middle all the time. Just to either side of the pitcher depending on where the five man is, I don't try to hit the pitcher. If it happens I still apologize. My suggestion is play at a higher level when the pitcher is expected to be fielder and understands his roll. I stay away in league though. As far as retaliation goes, middle is open, no retaliation, if pitcher is hit, our first few, 2-3, batters blow middle and call it even. Usually both teams are ok with it

slugger13

This The Gun Line Boss!!"
Well hittin middle can loss u the game o have played teams tht want u to thats whn they go 5 man and double play u to death lol..

Dysfunctional

Don't be hatin'
I was pitching at my kids baseball game the other night. 3 or 4 kids hit lazers at my ballzack and I had to do the funky chicken to avoid getting hit. THEN they had the nerve to show off with a bat flip over their left shoulder and trot down to first.

Nobody said sorry.

I always tell them to hit the ball at me in practice. 6-8yr olds seem to have more bat control than those clowns you were playing! :p lol

00BigMattyC00

Addicted to Softballfans
I hate garbage like this because I never played baseball and I am not good at softball. I can hit well for power and average and once in a while I hit middle on accident and **** but just cause someone HITS middle doesnt mean they are SHOOTING middle. Huge difference

TEXSTRO

Star Player
An kicked their dogs.....you can never forget the dogs...

Well, they take our bats up and weight them to make sure they have not been shaved. Mine is a legal z1000. They return it at the end of the night. If it happens in tourneys they do the same but you usually get it back at the end of the tourney regardless shaved or not. They are not too strict about compression testing here.

Last edited:

TEXSTRO

Star Player
I was pitching at my kids baseball game the other night. 3 or 4 kids hit lazers at my ballzack and I had to do the funky chicken to avoid getting hit. THEN they had the nerve to show off with a bat flip over their left shoulder and trot down to first.

Nobody said sorry.

I always tell them to hit the ball at me in practice. 6-8yr olds seem to have more bat control than those clowns you were playing! :p lol

It was just so horrible cause they were shuffling in the box towards middle and still popping up and grounding out. I also noticed they changed bats to go middle. I guess just in case.

lost1o

Addicted to Softballfans
Look I see old men in tourney's here in cali with full catcher gear on!!! It doesnt stop them from playing......U got a glove use it....Im a pitcher myself and am out for a year bcuz of it....Do I want sympathy???? NO!!!!! Look its part of the game.....I read earlier, U want to be a man get in a cage and fight....If not QUIT YOURE CRYING!!!!!!

Cubsuns

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not cowardly or heartless enough to try and hurt the pitcher. I'll talk **** behind their backs, on the internet, or out the car window as I'm driving away like a normal person.

^^^^^ This is the gentlemanly way to handle this situation ;)

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
**Cool story brah alert**

So I get two strikes on which Is the norm cause I always wait for first strike. I get a pitch on the outside and it it goes back up the middle and hits the pitcher. It bounce first though hits him in the shin. Not intentional at all. I apologize and walk to first cause the ball somehow made it to the outfield. They start running their mouth. Blue takes my bat. we kept quiet cause obviously to them its a big deal we understand. Their next at bat they tried to hit middle intentionally which I understand. They want revenge. The problem is they tried 4 or 5 times and failed throught the next two innings. On top of that my last at bat I hit one passed third I will go ahead and brag and say it was a rope. I get to second and I overhear some dudes in the dugout not even playing telling their third baseman to plow me over if i make it to 3rd. I pitch so i understand being pissed off but I know its bound to happen. It will always happen. I dont understand why these MEN cry like girls when they get hit. Its the nature of the beast. Now the question. If plan on retaliating and you make it obvous how many goes should you get at it if you fail the first time?

I would hit the ball over the fence and stand at home plate till it cleared. Then I'd piss on the catcher.

SandyWH

#Delicious
I pitch. I can usually tell the difference between being a target and someone looking for a hit and an accident.

Last night in league our first batter hot the pitcher. It wasn't intentional, but he still popped him good. I expected one back at me the rest of the game. Its the way it goes. Later in the game I sent one back up the middle (tried to go the other way on an inside pitch) and hit the guy too. Again, I fully expect to have one back at me after those. But I usually draw the line at one. League ball should definitely be just a 1-up situation. Tournament ball is a different animal. I think everything's coming back at me in tourneys, and against some teams I'm right.

Caseyj7

Addicted to Softballfans
being a pitcher, I never intentionally shoot middle.. But occasionally it happens, like everyone has said "its part of the game" and 9 times out of 10 around here there is usually an applogy and you move on and thats the end of it, but when a guy goes 3-3 or 4-4 up the middle everytime is when I start to get pissed, as any pitcher would. Tourneys you expect it, you have to or you'll get killed. League ball is a different story, I know some of the teams I play on my players get more upset when somebody shoots middle on me than I typically do. Accidents happen but there is no reason to go out there and try to intentionally hurt somebody.

I will usually say something to one of the other teams players to warn whoever is doing it if it is a league game, that whoever needs to "cool that **** out or we're gonna have some problems" and thats the end of it. Most people I've played with and around are the same way, its a game, we all have lives outside of softball, and nobody wants to Kill, Injure, or ruin somebody elses life from something that is spose'd to be fun

Schiffy

If you pitch, shoot middle all you want cause your the one going to catch the **** coming back your way. if you don't have bat control and you shoot the middle apologize for being a ****ty ball player, if you're like me, and you feel your most comfortable with ropes up the middle(typically over the pitchers head) do what you do. everyone has a glove on, wear a mask or shin gaurds or both if your scared.( NOTE; i can and will pitch if need be, and realize it's my pretty face or body that will get hurt if i don't get the glove up)

Skov18

Stuck in E Ball
Hell i even walked to first after I stood there and apologized. He didnt acknowledge it so I went ahead and got on 1. I usually sit down out of respect.

Are you ****ing serious?! You hit the ball. They didn't get you out. Get your stupid ass on first base. This is the dumbest thing I've ever read on here.
Oh yeah, and I pitch.

Odog

Addicted to Softballfans
lots of lulz here fellas..... if its league then middle maybe (if the guy is a ****), but for money games (tournaments) all is fair play :)

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah I appologize when I hit a shot to the gap for a double. It isn't fair to those that don't have the desire to practice and become better hitters so we just split the difference so everybody has the same batting average. When I don't get a hit I expect the guy that put me out to say sorry because if he doesn't I am going middle.

5rings20

The Veteran
I hit it up the middle on accident every once in a while, to do so in purpose is irresponsible and stupid.