Minnesota Thread

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Negative. Beardsley told me they pretty good tho. Just spendy.
It'd be interesting to try one, but I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money.

Nope. I'm sure they are good but what USSSA bat isn't nowadays? Miken/Worth still tops IMO.
That's pretty much all I ever see now is Miken and Worth. Maybe the occasional Easton.

Dewey's Mn Monsta = open state 2018.. this should be fun..
Hit dingers.

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
You will still see Easton and Demarini but it's not often and typically it'll be one guy on the team swinging it. We have a guy who bought a Torq and randomly swings it or a Freak30 or a CL22... he sort of grabs whatever. It's interesting but when you bat around .700 most weekend there is not much to say to him about it.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Yeah, if they're hitting .700, you just let them go. Also, you curse them out of jealousy.

I guess we do have one Combat that two guys swing on Wednesday nights (I forgot about it). But it's really because one guy bought it for cheap at Firemens, and only plays Utrip on Wednesday nights. Swing it until it breaks. Plus, Combat had pretty solid Utrip bats.

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
Yeah, if they're hitting .700, you just let them go. Also, you curse them out of jealousy.

Agreed. Agreed. He bought a black Easton Flex last year in Lac Lavon, took the wrapper off and hit a HR out of wrapper. Then finished the tournament as one of our top averages. Meanwhile, I'm swinging a red hot Freak ASP and look like it's my first time playing...ever. #noskillz

Beauner

Starting Player
You will still see Easton and Demarini but it's not often and typically it'll be one guy on the team swinging it. We have a guy who bought a Torq and randomly swings it or a Freak30 or a CL22... he sort of grabs whatever. It's interesting but when you bat around .700 most weekend there is not much to say to him about it.
My game bag currently has a Freak12 (stupid hot at this point, I'm sure it'll blow up by the end of the year, it passed on the line last year at state but only because they tested a side I hadnt swing on all year), a Miken Gamer, the 2017 DB44 Juggy and the Jeff Hall Z1000. I'll rotate my 2015 Connell, Helmer Flex, and 2016 Super Z in every once in a while too. I'm gonna get some swings on my Demarini Twisted Mistress here soon and if the hype is real I'm sure it'll go in the bag.

My go-to is still the Freak12 but if we're out of HRs or nobody is on base I'll mix it up more often because the 12 has gotten to the point where oopsie HRs are pretty common. I hit a line drive with it on Monday that carried over the fence that never climbed higher than like 20 feet.

mnballer

Addicted to Softballfans
My game bag currently has a Freak12 (stupid hot at this point, I'm sure it'll blow up by the end of the year, it passed on the line last year at state but only because they tested a side I hadnt swing on all year), a Miken Gamer, the 2017 DB44 Juggy and the Jeff Hall Z1000. I'll rotate my 2015 Connell, Helmer Flex, and 2016 Super Z in every once in a while too. I'm gonna get some swings on my Demarini Twisted Mistress here soon and if the hype is real I'm sure it'll go in the bag.

My go-to is still the Freak12 but if we're out of HRs or nobody is on base I'll mix it up more often because the 12 has gotten to the point where oopsie HRs are pretty common. I hit a line drive with it on Monday that carried over the fence that never climbed higher than like 20 feet.

You going to let us use a cpl of those bats in dec..? Going to play the all world thing in vegas.. and no one has played utrip stuff b4 besides arne.. no even sure if he owns a bat

tsfingrocks

Average, at best

We had a Freak30 last year that was disgusting. One guy has a Freak12, that we can only use in league now, and he pretty much uses it to see how far he can hit a HR. They are typically creatures. He twice hit it over the 385' LC at Disney last year as no doubters. Which means it was beyond the 310 snow fence and the actual fence. Legitimately 400'+ shots. Granted we hit ZNs there. Freak12 problems.

Bell44

Addicted to Softballfans
We had a Freak30 last year that was disgusting. One guy has a Freak12, that we can only use in league now, and he pretty much uses it to see how far he can hit a HR. They are typically creatures. He twice hit it over the 385' LC at Disney last year as no doubters. Which means it was beyond the 310 snow fence and the actual fence. Legitimately 400'+ shots. Granted we hit ZNs there. Freak12 problems.

This smells like Scotty....

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
So Wednesday night we had three of the weirdest outs that I've seen playing ball happen in two games:

In our first game, guy hits a ball to the gap, and our relay gets him at third, but the ball pops out and rolls out of play. The guy goes into the dugout and high fives everyone all excited, but never touched home. He's out. No run.

Then that same game they used a courtesy runner for one of their slow guys with their fastest guy. Not a bad idea. Except for that guy was on second base when it was his turn to come up to bat, so the ump called him out. The third out of the last inning. Game over.

In the second game, guy has a strike on him, and the pitcher throws a ball inside. The guy isn't swinging, but as he's going to bring the bat down by his side, the ball hits the bat. The ball rolled foul and the inning was over.

These weren't some weird scrub teams, either (I thought that was an upcoming question).

Maximus Decimus

Slap Hands!
That's a weird night. The 4th ump in Waconia is super old and can't see which makes for frustrating games. In our 9pm game he called 3 home runs foul that were all fair. Called another hit foul that landed on the fair side before low trimmed grass for the foul line so it was at least a foot fair. I had a pitch land next to my foot in the batters box that's called a strike. The other teams catcher and pitcher start laughing and he tells us it crossed the plate. This is the same umpire that called a runner out last year on a force play at 2nd but the issue was the 2nd baseman was standing in the grass 10 feet from the base. He told everyone he saw him touch the base. Then this old bleep calls time limit for the first time in the the 10 years I've played there. We were the 2nd to last game to start and the first done.

Kenny Powers

Addicted to Softballfans
That's a weird night. The 4th ump in Waconia is super old and can't see which makes for frustrating games. In our 9pm game he called 3 home runs foul that were all fair. Called another hit foul that landed on the fair side before low trimmed grass for the foul line so it was at least a foot fair. I had a pitch land next to my foot in the batters box that's called a strike. The other teams catcher and pitcher start laughing and he tells us it crossed the plate. This is the same umpire that called a runner out last year on a force play at 2nd but the issue was the 2nd baseman was standing in the grass 10 feet from the base. He told everyone he saw him touch the base. Then this old bleep calls time limit for the first time in the the 10 years I've played there. We were the 2nd to last game to start and the first done.
I call him Mr. Magoo. He is awful.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Oof, good luck with that.

Those kind of umps are the proof that there is a shortage of umps.

mnballer

Addicted to Softballfans
I would like to become an ump.. but starting out would suck.. well till you get the strike zone down.. asa that is..

Beauner

Starting Player
You going to let us use a cpl of those bats in dec..? Going to play the all world thing in vegas.. and no one has played utrip stuff b4 besides arne.. no even sure if he owns a bat
He owns at least one I think.
If you guys swing 28oz bats I could send one or two with him.

Beauner

Starting Player
There's a reason I've got 3 more in the wrapper for safe keeping :)

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
I don't think I'll ever have more than 4 bats again. Hell, odds are pretty high I never get above 3.

2 for ASA leagues and tourneys, 1 for my Wednesday utrip league.

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
Hey fellow softball dud muffins... I have two bats I'm looking to move. 27oz Freak ASP game ready (Last years "Hot Sauce" version) and 27oz Worth SIS Mutation R/R/B. Slide into my DMs or PMs if you're interested.