New to Slowpitch Softball

Redsfan

Scott, if you are an ex minor league baseball player having the best bat probably doesn't matter for you. I'm sure your mechanics are good and are alot better than the majority of players. Good players smash with whatever bat they use. Lower level players don't. They are the ones that need technology to make them better.

Joker

The OP should just quit softball and take up golf in all honesty
he's a former minor league baseball player and a self proclaimed slugger, he'll be playing conference in no time when someone sees him in his singlewall league swinging the best bat recommended on here

Projectcam

I love people hating on the OP because he wants to swing the best bat he can get. I’d find a league that not limited to such shifty bats Scott. If you played any level past high school it won’t be fun for you. At least in the composite leagues you will get some heat hit at you and will keep your hands quick defensively. P/S, I played minor league ball myself. Doesn’t mean I want to swing a ****ing coppercell against new tech

Joker

I love people hating on the OP because he wants to swing the best bat he can get. I’d find a league that not limited to such shifty bats Scott. If you played any level past high school it won’t be fun for you. At least in the composite leagues you will get some heat hit at you and will keep your hands quick defensively. P/S, I played minor league ball myself. Doesn’t mean I want to swing a ****ing coppercell against new tech
i love idiots weighing in by just casually mentioning they played minor league ball cause they want to feel important by trying to relive their glory days in a slowpitch league

Projectcam

i love idiots weighing in by just casually mentioning they played minor league ball cause they want to feel important by trying to relive their glory days in a slowpitch league
Because someone bashed OP for playing in the minors? Stfu troll.

Rooster210

P-Pumpah #1
jesus y'all used to swing wood bats and i hope did well. now y'all want the best singlewall bat for underhand slow pitch? come on now. just buy something and swing it.

Projectcam

jesus y'all used to swing wood bats and i hope did well. now y'all want the best singlewall bat for underhand slow pitch? come on now. just buy something and swing it.
I am just defending the Op wanting advice from people who can help. I don’t see anything wrong with that. Just people hating because they assume his skill level is higher

Rooster210

P-Pumpah #1
if he was in minor league ball his skill level is higher than most on here. hence the reason why its important to not care what bat he uses - that creates the notion that he needs "x" bat to perform well. its the indian not the arrow.

dcz3

The OP played professional minor league baseball so his skill level and talent is going to be better than 99.999999% of the players he’s going to play against. Just swing one of your old Maple Maruccis from your minor league days, you’ll still be the best damn hitter on the field.

I’ve played against some former major and minor leaguers and they don’t seem to last more than a few seasons. The OP has already quit playing adult rec league baseball so I’m sure he won’t last long in slowpitch. So pick a bat and just go out and have some fun, hit some dingers and drink some beer.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
I
New guys don't always get the gentlest treatment here, don't take it personally.

The thing with singlewalls; the difference between a brand-new, high-end $200+ bat and a $20 flea-market mid-'90's TPS is marginal. Some would even argue that some of the older singlewalls (Ritch's Superior, Powerdome, etc.) are better than anything made since. And the beauty of buying an older singlewall for $20-$40; you may love it and it may be all you need, and if it isn't you can sell it for what you paid for it.

I will say the one major advantage with buying a new bat for a restricted one-piece singlewall league, especially if you play a lot and/or play in cold weather, is the one-year bat manufacturers warranty. It doesn't take much to dent a singlewall bat and having that warranty gives you a 2nd one for free. The Anderson and Rip-It REAP5 bats were the only ones I have found to have any kind of durability. Those older bats are great but will dent real easy if using anything other than 52/300 softball.

dunkky

Scott, as much as i often disagree with froggy and country, i think avg bat will do just fine for you in the league you are in. believe it or not, at your level and bat speed, hitting bomb is not a challenge, it's the opposite due to HR limit. Just ask Harvey. just play there a season or two with a bat and move on to a higher level and swing the hottest bat in the world. I suggest go see one of the major tournaments and see how those guys play and get an idea where you stand. if you think you can hang with them, talk to harvey, john williams, or others how you can start from maybe A level, and go from there. if i have your talent, that's what i will do.

Maybe talk to Ken(swing makeover), perhaps he might able to hook you up.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I will say the one major advantage with buying a new bat for a restricted one-piece singlewall league, especially if you play a lot and/or play in cold weather, is the one-year bat manufacturers warranty. It doesn't take much to dent a singlewall bat and having that warranty gives you a 2nd one for free. The Anderson and Rip-It REAP5 bats were the only ones I have found to have any kind of durability. Those older bats are great but will dent real easy if using anything other than 52/300 softball.

The only problem with buying a new bat for the warranty is having to pay $150. You only get one return and you're without a bat while your return is being processed. Meanwhile I have an armload of old bats that I got for $15-$40 each. ;)

But yeah, some of the old models are tin cans. I had a beautiful Worth Lighthouse that I triangled with one bucket of BP balls. Hard to believe some of those bats were out when guys were still hitting Blue Dots.

Scotth36

I appreciate everyone's insight. Again, I'm new to slow pitch softball. I went to D i c k's and saw bats for $49 to $249. I figured the best way to see if there was a difference was to go on line and do some research. I saw this website and thought this might be a good start. It seems that for this starter league I'm in (Senior League), I'll find a bat that will get me through this league/Season. I will look for another bat when I find another, more competitive league.

Last edited:

blakcherry329

I appreciate everyone's insight. Again, I'm new to slow pitch softball. I went to D i c k's and saw bats for $49 to $249. I figured the best way to see if there was a difference was to go on line and do some research. I saw this website and thought this might be a good start. It seems that for this starter league I'm in (Senior League), I'll find a bat that will get me through this league/Season. I will look for another bat when I find another, more competitive league.
Don't overthink it. If you're coming from baseball, grab a bat that you like and you'll do fine. Everyone has an opinion on which bat to use. Only way to really find one is to use it. It's like buying shoes. You have to try it on first. 99% of bats out there are good.

Redsfan

To piggyback on to what Country said. We had an ex Ohio State baseball player play on our team about 20 years ago. Defensively maybe the best SS I've ever seen play in person. Stopped everything and had a canon. Offensively it was another story. He had no patience. Pulled everything down left field line. Other teams only needed a third baseman and LF to defend him. Played half a season and quit.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Don't overthink it. If you're coming from baseball, grab a bat that you like and you'll do fine. Everyone has an opinion on which bat to use. Only way to really find one is to use it. It's like buying shoes. You have to try it on first. 99% of bats out there are good.
THis is what i told Scott as well. Basically all the top of the line bats perform the same, find the one you like and swing it hard

redado74

The Veteran
Scotty,
Here are a couple old reviews/summaries for singlewall bats circa 2014/2015, that are still pretty useful. The 1st was done by Frisco Kid and is a good summary of the available singlewalls (back in 2015). Not much has changed except the L7.0 is no longer made and the L9.0 turned back into the Salvo Scandium in 2015 and is now called a Ronin. The 2nd one was a comparison done by me and several friends (actual feedback from rec league hitters)

View attachment 54178
View attachment 54179
Excellent post, Have you any data of Powerdomes?

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Excellent post, Have you any data of Powerdomes?

Those old TPS Powerdomes/Ritch's Superior, etc. are good bats. I did not use them in my research because 1) they are hard to find and 2) if u got one you definitely would not be using it in BP sessions. I've had a number of them and would say they are comparable to a Demarini Ultimate Weapon.