NFL Week 13: Aren't you a little young for full contact?

hbwb

~~~~~~~~~~~~
rooting for them to win does not mean i signed off on them as legitimate contenders.
they just the least hated team in the nfc who has a shot at postseason now. atlanta may be 2nd and a shootout between matts would be nice.

i pretty much hate all afc playoff teams but the raiders but i am not jumping on that bandwagon. just somebody beat the pats is all i ask and i think any team not in the south or east could do it.

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
Most of those guys were gone by then though. Jags were competitve up until about 2009. I saw a Garrard-led Jags team lose a playoff game in Foxborough. Coldest sporting event I ever went to. Had to be '06 or '07.

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
Jimmy Smith was drafted by the Cowboys in the 2nd round in '92 and waived after 2 years due to injuries. Signed by Philly in the '94 pre-season and then waived before landing with Jax. So, he could have been the WR2 opposite Irvin for a couple of those Super Bowl teams if they kept him.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
Most of those guys were gone by then though. Jags were competitve up until about 2009. I saw a Garrard-led Jags team lose a playoff game in Foxborough. Coldest sporting event I ever went to. Had to be '06 or '07.

i was talmbout the 99 team which destroyed people

3XC

Big Truss
The 99 team was 14-2 and beat miami 62-7 (roflomgbbq) in the playoffs. They had like 300 rushing yards and gave up like 20 rushing yards. It was not as close as the score indicates.

Dan Marino final game lolololol. Talk about going out like a chump. Lose by 55, get benched for Damon Huard in a playoff game... so fitting.

Take Philip Rivers' talent level and success, replace his persona with Tom Brady in a game when he's losing and his receivers keep dropping the ball. Say, the 2012 AFC Championship. That was Dan Marino for his entire post Orange Bowl career. Constant red assed yelling. Not enough buses in the USA to throw guys under. He's throwing guys over the Atlantic to get run over by London double deckers. (but such a quick release!)

3XC

Big Truss
Credit where its due though - 1984 Dan Marino was a ****ing studbeast and he changed the NFL forever. He also beat the overrated 85 Bears just by throwing the ball downfield, which is fun. People who think the 85 Bears were some unbeatable superteam that could crush anyone would be real sad if they played a modern team, ANY modern team, that can throw the football. The 2016 Steelers, who have one receiver that isn't retarded and will go 9-7, would score 30 on the 1985 Bears and probably win.

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
In that ****show MNF game they showed career TD passes through 66 games (i think, i forget the exact number) and Marino was way ahead of Luck. I was surprised to say the least. I knew Dan chucked the ball around but the game is so much different now. 35 TD passes in the 80's is like 50 now.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
In that ****show MNF game they showed career TD passes through 66 games (i think, i forget the exact number) and Marino was way ahead of Luck. I was surprised to say the least. I knew Dan chucked the ball around but the game is so much different now. 35 TD passes in the 80's is like 50 now.
more like 70

Primo

fat and famous pablo
i really dont want to live in a world where Cris Carter wins man of the year...

was Irvin busy? Dave Meggett not open his mail?

what the holy ****

3XC

Big Truss
You say that, and I said similar things in the past, but Marino was just the forerunner of today's passing offenses. Miami could put up crazy pass numbers because they abandoned the run and exploited archaic defenses. There was no "Tampa 2" until the 90s. D coordinators hadn't yet figured out how to properly lock down long pass plays with a top heavy zone. There was no such thing as zone blitzing either. Yes, DBs could chuck guys downfield, but teams stupidly actually lined up the strong safety over the TE and left him there, as if he was required by the NFL rules to be on the "strong" side.

Look at Clayton/Duper's receiveing numbers from the 80s. Both averaged like 20 yards a reception. They were catching balls in stride and running to open grass. They weren't putting up Julio Jones 15 reception games. Both averaged around 4 receptions a game, neither hit 100 catches ever, but both were 1000 yard guys every year. What does this mean? It means Marino would simply eye fake the safety, he'd bite because he's horrible and on the 84 Jets or whatever, and he'd throw a gimme 60 yard TD. That's how you get to 48 touchdowns in the 80s.

Neither sniffed 100 receptions. Duper never had more than 71. Clayton had one year with more than 73, later in the 1980s. These werent possession guys. He simply threw deep ball after deep ball like a 13 year old playing Madden. It worked because the defenses were primitive and still played run first. Also, Marino had that awesome fast release, and Miami really did have a good pass blocking O line. Fewest sacks against in the NFL helps.

9 yards per pass attempt over the course of a whole season. Dude.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
so the fact no one else had figured it out or had EVER done it makes it less or more impressive?

3XC

Big Truss
He was the forerunner, but he wasn't God. 48 touchdowns in 1984 isn't 70 in 2016, all I'm saying. He was good enough, and on a good enough team, and in an offense that wasn't trying to keep the obsolete power run game alive.

Like I said. Marino's skill set is akin to Rivers, not prime Peyton or anything. He had the arm talent but not the mental acuity. I seem to recall Marino's wonderlic being awful for a QB, like low teens.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
i pretty much disagree by about as much as i possibly can

how many hr's in 2016 is the equivalent of 60 in 1927?

i mean lots of people can hit 60ish in todays world. the fact he hit more than other teams means no one else had figured it out?

3XC

Big Truss
Negro league era stats when starters threw 300 innings a year and it wasn't unusual to have 35 complete games have what to do with anything? Its not even the same sport.

Marino was mechanically perfect but mentally unable to put it together. His very mediocre mid/late career overwhelms his early career in terms of impact. He accumulated a lot of stats based on volume, but he never sniffer 40 TDs again, let alone 48. Do it more than once and prove it wasn't a fluke.

His 1984 was actually quite flukey. You can't have two guys averaging 20 yards per reception in 2016.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
and i would be in the HOF if i could magically transport my 18 year old self back to 1965.....

you're being a real guy, guy......"not being possible" in todays game is some entry level bull****......

they were as good as they were against the best competition of their time....

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
You say that, and I said similar things in the past, but Marino was just the forerunner of today's passing offenses. Miami could put up crazy pass numbers because they abandoned the run and exploited archaic defenses. There was no "Tampa 2" until the 90s. D coordinators hadn't yet figured out how to properly lock down long pass plays with a top heavy zone. There was no such thing as zone blitzing either. Yes, DBs could chuck guys downfield, but teams stupidly actually lined up the strong safety over the TE and left him there, as if he was required by the NFL rules to be on the "strong" side.

Look at Clayton/Duper's receiveing numbers from the 80s. Both averaged like 20 yards a reception. They were catching balls in stride and running to open grass. They weren't putting up Julio Jones 15 reception games. Both averaged around 4 receptions a game, neither hit 100 catches ever, but both were 1000 yard guys every year. What does this mean? It means Marino would simply eye fake the safety, he'd bite because he's horrible and on the 84 Jets or whatever, and he'd throw a gimme 60 yard TD. That's how you get to 48 touchdowns in the 80s.

Neither sniffed 100 receptions. Duper never had more than 71. Clayton had one year with more than 73, later in the 1980s. These werent possession guys. He simply threw deep ball after deep ball like a 13 year old playing Madden. It worked because the defenses were primitive and still played run first. Also, Marino had that awesome fast release, and Miami really did have a good pass blocking O line. Fewest sacks against in the NFL helps.

9 yards per pass attempt over the course of a whole season. Dude.
Blake to Pickens was another like that. Just following the script.