Notable differences

I'm joining a 40+ team starting this coming year, as long as 2020 is all out of curve balls and nothing else drastic happens this year.

Question is: What are some of the major differences that you've noticed when joining senior softball vs traditional ball (ASA, utrip, whatever)?

Is it just bats, speed of the game, more small ball, etc?

Redsfan

I'm sort of curious about this too. I hit the big 5-0 this winter and may look into some 50+ stuff around here next year.

ju25

Addicted to Softballfans
5 run rule, mat, no touching plate,force at plate no tags, commitment line at third, good ball, 6-10/12 arc, pinch runners, and hot bats. Some leagues use the extra fielder, a pitching screen, and allow runners from the plate.

smoke

50AAA USA National Champs
the hardest think I noticed when we first started was the force out at home, we had quite a few runners thrown out
SMOKE

5 run rule, mat, no touching plate,force at plate no tags, commitment line at third, good ball, 6-10/12 arc, pinch runners, and hot bats. Some leagues use the extra fielder, a pitching screen, and allow runners from the plate.

A lot of this is similar to coed ball, so the familiarity will be beneficial. I imagine the basics of the game will be mostly what I'm use to already.

In speaking with someone else who recently started playing on the 40+, he said it's very different. The batters are much more patient and selective of their pitches, fielding is more difficult because of that. The 5 run limit is almost always hit each inning - overall, his take was that it is more difficult than traditional play.

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
Softball is softball. Sure bats are hotter, strike if it hits mat or plate, safety plate/commit line, etc
But biggest difference that I noticed was the attitude of all involved. I don't miss the cocky attitudes and viscous trash talk that has made it's way into local league play .... even on church league night. I absolutely LOVE playing ball with "kids my own age"!

Mont 25

Addicted to Softballfans
I find the bats and the balls to be a little hotter, but not a huge difference. Max 5 runs per inning outside of the open inning. The pitch is a strike if the ball hits the mat and is on an arch of 6-12'. The homerun is back! There are 3 for AAA; 6 for major; 9 for major+. And there is plenty of opportunity to travel. Here's a link to the SSUSA rule book https://seniorsoftball.com/wc/wc2019/SSUSA-Rulebook-2019-Web.pdf. I completely agree with ogWarlock78 attitudes are much better. Welcome to Senior ball.

mariagarcia9593

The hardest think I noticed when we first started was the force out at home, we had quite a few runners thrown out
SMOKE. Any recommendations?

longball101

Part Time Player
I had been out of softball for numerous years while coaching my boys in baseball. Got back into it about a year ago with the young guys in a local league. Started looking into 50+ teams but wanted something very competitive so I was very hesitant a. After watching a lot of "senior" guys play at a field near me. Ended up throwing my info on a site as "looking for team". Ended up hooking up with a team in the FHC(florida half century) 50+. Teams are broken down into regional area so there are rules that limit who you can play for. Got a call from a guy, talked for about an hour and decided to give it a go. After some rules adjustments, like previously mention..commitment line, plate etc, I was pleasantly pleased to see that there is no lack of talent, big hitters and good ball being played. The biggest adjustment for me was the pitching plate, after playing USSSA it took some getting use to, still adjusting actually. But, the "trash talk" is more playful banter and everyone is just out to play good softball and have fun...and bang serious home runs!

Dan Schneider

The 50's Club
I had been out of softball for numerous years while coaching my boys in baseball. Got back into it about a year ago with the young guys in a local league. Started looking into 50+ teams but wanted something very competitive so I was very hesitant a. After watching a lot of "senior" guys play at a field near me. Ended up throwing my info on a site as "looking for team". Ended up hooking up with a team in the FHC(florida half century) 50+. Teams are broken down into regional area so there are rules that limit who you can play for. Got a call from a guy, talked for about an hour and decided to give it a go. After some rules adjustments, like previously mention..commitment line, plate etc, I was pleasantly pleased to see that there is no lack of talent, big hitters and good ball being played. The biggest adjustment for me was the pitching plate, after playing USSSA it took some getting use to, still adjusting actually. But, the "trash talk" is more playful banter and everyone is just out to play good softball and have fun...and bang serious home runs!

Looking to do the same in the near future with the FHC league.

longball101

Part Time Player
I don't think you'll be disappointed. Some of the legs and arms have slowed down but not the bats! I honestly think that there is no need for many of these guys to swing a SR bats from what I've seen in the 3 tourny's I've played in.

Dan Schneider

The 50's Club
I don't think you'll be disappointed. Some of the legs and arms have slowed down but not the bats! I honestly think that there is no need for many of these guys to swing a SR bats from what I've seen in the 3 tourny's I've played in.

I tend to agree, especially with a 375 ball & the reflexes not as sharp from 15 years ago.:eek:

smoke

The hardest think I noticed when we first started was the force out at home, we had quite a few runners thrown out
SMOKE. Any recommendations?
For us it was getting used to the force play at home at all times. It doesn't really take a perfect throw,catch and tag to get you out.
SMOKE

denthepitcher

SF Native
One big difference in Seniors is you play very few night games, which is great cuz I can't see well at night at all.
I think I've played 2 night games in 10 years.

Last edited:

smoke

5 run limit at tournaments until the open inning, so you will hear 5 on 2 (5th potential run on 2nd base) or 5 on 3
SMOKE

msw4indy

Addicted to Softballfans
Softball is softball. Sure bats are hotter, strike if it hits mat or plate, safety plate/commit line, etc
But biggest difference that I noticed was the attitude of all involved. I don't miss the cocky attitudes and viscous trash talk that has made it's way into local league play .... even on church league night. I absolutely LOVE playing ball with "kids my own age"!

100% why I was excited to turn 50:)

longball101

Part Time Player
Just played the U-Trip 50+ at Spacecoast. Sorry to see only 5 teams entered. Was my first visit to this complex, pretty impressive. All the teams were great to play against, sportsmanship is definitely more enjoyable with this age group.

ju25

Addicted to Softballfans
Participation is down this year due to Covid. In 60 and 65+ were only drawing 3 or 4 teams

BruceinGa

always online
I believe that in addition to Covid, Utrip is having problems with rules/balls and rosters, making that association less than desirable for competition.

longball101

Part Time Player
Yep, told us were were hitting the Pro M, then gave us all Classic M, had issued with an Umpire on one field who had his own set own own bottom height limit...he was finally asked to go home after a lot of complaints...scheduling wasn't very good either. Oh well, I did like the complex and wouldn't mind playing there again, but doubt our SR team will after this experience

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
ProM or Classic are not close to the Stote Microcell, especially in the heat. The 1 thing I noticed is the pitchers are quite good at nibbling the front edge of the mat, then short pitching you. If you dont already stand up front in the box you will want to or those front edge strikes never really get into your hitting zone. Almost need to have your back foot inline with the front edge of the mat. It seems most of the pitchers I faced are better at hitting the front edges and struggle a bit more with hitting the back of the mat.

dunno

no sliding, lots of wrapped up appendages and plenty of available info on knee replacements and/or cataract surgery

Hawkeye92

OG Midget Mafia
I'm joining a 40+ team starting this coming year, as long as 2020 is all out of curve balls and nothing else drastic happens this year.

Question is: What are some of the major differences that you've noticed when joining senior softball vs traditional ball (ASA, utrip, whatever)?
Is it just bats, speed of the game, more small ball, etc?
With 40+, I don’t think you’ll se much fall off compared to regular league/tournament unless the team is well past 40. Most 40 year olds are still balling hard, and play a smarter game so they’ll be tougher to beat. you’ll just have to get useD to whatever rules differences there are but softball is softball.

I'm sort of curious about this too. I hit the big 5-0 this winter and may look into some 50+ stuff around here next year.
I started 50+ this summer and I must say, I’ve been pleasantly surprised. Most teams are just out there to have fun playing a game they love in the twilight of their careers. Don’t get me wrong, it’s highly competitive and teams are out there to win, but as others have said, the sportsmanship and camaraderie are very high. No matter the outcome, teams have been very complimentary of our play and vice versa.
Aside from all the rules changes which have been well documented on here, the biggest differences that I see are mostly on defense. Everyone can still hit but many guys can’t get to balls on defense like we use to. I see a lot of what I call “Senior Singles”. Basically a ground ball that would normally be scooped up by a younger fielder gets through the infield in senior ball.

Overall, Senior ball has been a great experience for me.
At freshly 50, I’m the young guy again :)

msw4indy

Addicted to Softballfans
With 40+, I don’t think you’ll se much fall off compared to regular league/tournament unless the team is well past 40. Most 40 year olds are still balling hard, and play a smarter game so they’ll be tougher to beat. you’ll just have to get useD to whatever rules differences there are but softball is softball.

I started 50+ this summer and I must say, I’ve been pleasantly surprised. Most teams are just out there to have fun playing a game they love in the twilight of their careers. Don’t get me wrong, it’s highly competitive and teams are out there to win, but as others have said, the sportsmanship and camaraderie are very high. No matter the outcome, teams have been very complimentary of our play and vice versa.
Aside from all the rules changes which have been well documented on here, the biggest differences that I see are mostly on defense. Everyone can still hit but many guys can’t get to balls on defense like we use to. I see a lot of what I call “Senior Singles”. Basically a ground ball that would normally be scooped up by a younger fielder gets through the infield in senior ball.

Overall, Senior ball has been a great experience for me.
At freshly 50, I’m the young guy again :)

I started 50+ this year. I've played the league for the last 4 years, so I knew what to expect and was excited to get to this point! I have had guys a bit younger than me ready to give up playing, not because of their ability, but because of a lot of fun was gone due to some of the younger folks attitudes. They are glad they stuck it out, got involved in Sr league, and can see the light at the end of the tunnel:)

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
I just started 50 this week. Well they opened it up for 47+ as maybe with COVID or not many 50 years olds are playing as much as before.
Been playing utrip and it’s a big adjustment for the higher arc as most pitchers seem to hit the 12’ or higher arc and it hits the mat for a strike. A lot of these older guys can play ball. They hit line drives all day over the infields head. I swing my utrip bat but now it’s time to get a senior bat and gain more distance.