Ok, some of you make my head hurt....

djcs1204

King Jackie!!!
How in the blue flying **** does a bat have great exit speed, but the distance is lacking?

Someone just said "I am a line drive hitter so I am more concerned with exit speed, not overall distance."

How can you have one and not the other? In guessing I should now start looking for a bat to swing in hr derbies that hits the ball 500' but gets through the infield at the speed of 40rod's thought process?

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
So you are saying that the line drive bat I just bought it also good for hitting 400 foot bombs?

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
How dare you speak ill of 40rod! He's my hero and I miss his drunken softball stud troll threads.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
You want a bat with slow exit speed but good on distance so all the babes can stare and say 'yeah'.

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
lighter bat (for me) will have exit speed but not the same carry as a heavier bat of the same model

-Six-

Weiner
i prefer the judy bats with tons of pop but no carry. So the out field cant judge the shot. once the finger me out though im screwed.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
it's a flight restricted bat.

But realistically wouldn't speed have to decelerate as distance increases?

Milez28

Addicted to Softballfans
I like slower exit speed so my Home Runs last longer that way everyone can stare and awe at them slowly leaving the park in slow motion

Buckeye20

Addicted to Softballfans
I like slower exit speed so my Home Runs last longer that way everyone can stare and awe at them slowly leaving the park in slow motion

I was thinking the same thing , but I have to have a bat with excellent spinnig speed so when I do my bat flip it Spins so fast that appears as if I opened a umbrella ! :)

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
All my bats hit the ball 120mph. If it seems different, it must be an illusion.

MaverickAH

lighter bat (for me) will have exit speed but not the same carry as a heavier bat of the same model

Yeah, um, that's physically impossible.

No it's not. It's his truth.

You'd be right if we were talking about a science experiment under controlled conditions. Real world is different. As much as people would like to think that their swing is the same with every bat weight & bat balance, it's not! Angle of attack & point of contact will change for most people as they change from light to heavy or balanced to end-loaded even if they are somehow able to keep the same bat speed.

If Ball go far's swinging a lighter bat allows him to maintain a more level swing, swing through the center of the ball & retain more bat speed after contact, he may indeed experience more exit speed on the ball.

A heavier bat may slightly lower his bat trajectory allowing him to make contact with the ball below its median thus giving him more backspin & lift which can result in better carry.

If I were to guess, I'd say that Ball go far's experience is typical & definitely not impossible. Softball is not played in a lab & there are other factors involved in hitting a softball that are not being taken into account.

Real world........

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
How in the blue flying **** does a bat have great exit speed, but the distance is lacking?

Someone just said "I am a line drive hitter so I am more concerned with exit speed, not overall distance."

How can you have one and not the other? In guessing I should now start looking for a bat to swing in hr derbies that hits the ball 500' but gets through the infield at the speed of 40rod's thought process?

Probably one of my favorite debates. Makes me laugh every time. It's up there with "pop". What the hell does that mean.

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^ This is why I don't use the outdated term "pop" anymore. I now have bats with "KAPOW, THWACK, and WHAMOOoooo."

djcs1204

King Jackie!!!
If a heavier bat causes you to hit a different part of the ball, then I think I need a 21oz bat to hit grounders and a 30oz with 7oz endload to hit a pop fly.

Milez28

Addicted to Softballfans
i guess im getting me a 25oz Mercy so I can hit sizzling line drives that fall off before they reach the outfieldiers then..