Ok, some of you make my head hurt....

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
When I first started hitting the 52/300s I noticed they weighed less--on a scale. They fly farther with the wind at your back and die quicker into a headwind than a heavier ball. Check that math.

Yup, they're like .25oz lighter and .25" smaller. So they have less momentum, but also less drag.

Unfortunately I don't have the CFD software to accurately model a spinning softball, or the time to care, at what speed there's a break over point for momentum vs. drag, if there is one.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Yup, they're like .25oz lighter and .25" smaller. So they have less momentum, but also less drag.

Unfortunately I don't have the CFD software to accurately model a spinning softball, or the time to care, at what speed there's a break over point for momentum vs. drag, if there is one.

Just divide the quotient by .321 ****s.

croe33

Starting Player
I know right , Imagine if izzy hit with a 30oz bat instead of a 26 , I bet if he did that he could get his name on a bat some day ! :) The weight of the bat has absolutely no effect on a ball what so ever ! Smh ! Where do people come up with this stuff ?

Simple physics my friend. A heavy object moving at the same speed as a lighter object takes more force to stop/slow down. Ball speed and weight being equal. Even simpler, here is an equation disregarding the ball slowing the bat down upon contact.

I'll give arbitrary numbers, more research is needed to see the effects of bat speed due to weight of bat. I'll assume 10 mph pitch and 90 mph swing on the 26oz and 89 mph swing on the 28oz bats. the full equation also takes into account the elasticity of the ball which will change the numbers but would keep ratios the same.

velocity of batted ball= ((mass of pitched ball x speed of pitched ball)+(mass of bat x speed of bat)) / (mass of ball + mass of bat)
** this equation is a simple velocity of objects in motion colliding with each other. such as marbles we rolled in my first physics class and tried to predict how far each one would roll away. All variables such as wind, pressure, mositure, friciton, etc... have been omitted for simplicity.

26oz bat
((7oz x 10mph)+(26oz x 90mph)) / (7oz + 26oz) =
(70oz/mph + 2340oz/mph) / 33oz) = 2410oz/mph / 33oz = 70.03 mph

28oz bat
((7oz x 10mph)+(28oz x 89mph)) / (7oz + 28oz) =
(70oz/mph + 2492oz.mph) / 35oz = 2562oz/mph / 35oz = 73.2 mph

You can see that a 1mph difference in bat speed at point of contact still allows the 28oz bat to give an extra 3 mph to the exit speed of the ball.

If the bat speed of the 28 oz bat is 88 mph then the ball is still going 72.4 mph. Like I said, I haven't measured the difference of my bat speed between a 28oz and a 26 oz softball bat, but I can't imagine it is too much slower.

Keep in mind that a heavier bat will not lose as much bat speed when it strikes the same ball moving at the same speed as a lighter bat will.

I'd say bat weight has an impact. but thats just me.

As far as comfort and control with regards to the weight of a bat, thats a different story. some people can smack them out of the park with a 26oz and hit only pop flys with a 28oz becasue they can't control it as well, doesn't change the physics of the thing.

Edit: thus

Last edited:

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
You missed his point, though: a human being has an absolute maximum work output, irrespective of the weight of the bat. If you're capable of generating a KE of, say, 340J you're capable of generating 340J. So it's not just a "you'll only lose 1mph but by mathing proves that's okay" scenario; you'd have to take that energy output, work backwards to a swing speed from it, and then compare those values, not numbers pulled out of an ass.

croe33

Starting Player
You missed his point, though: a human being has an absolute maximum work output, irrespective of the weight of the bat. If you're capable of generating a KE of, say, 340J you're capable of generating 340J. So it's not just a "you'll only lose 1mph but by mathing proves that's okay" scenario; you'd have to take that energy output, work backwards to a swing speed from it, and then compare those values, not numbers pulled out of an ass.

Numbers pulled out of my ass are really all I have to go on. I had my bat speed recorded in HS some where in the low 80s, I'd like to think it is more then that now. I thought 10mph of a softball was a fair assumption. The equation was just to show how it works out on paper. The KE of an object that is heavier will be more the the KE of an object that is lighter, the velocity and weight of the bat are are directly proportional to the KE need to swing a bat a certain speed. If you know the speed and weight of the bat, you don't have to find out how much work it takes because you already put the work in to achieve the stated bat speed. When you know the speed and weight of something you are no longer dealing with KE, its now potential energy.

All I'm getting at is that if you can keep your bat speed of a heavier within a few mph of a lighter bat, you have more potential energy, producing a harder hit ball. I'm not even considering the momentum of the heavier bat. (would you rather be rear-ended by a SUV doing 50mph or a sedan doing 49mph?)

Joker, I really wish those balls would stop hitting that invisible wall in the outfield, its killing my slug %

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
You're still focusing on the wrong part -- the KE of a heavier object will be greater...if the force accelerating it can get it to a speed where the increased mass offsets the decrease from the quantity v^2. There's the problem: the human body has physical limitations. If you have a capability for X power, X is all you get, X is what you have to get that bat to speed. Changing the weight of the bat won't change that.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Sorry I'll go post other inane irrelevant bull**** to get my post count up. :rolleyes:

Now be quiet, people with triple digit IQs are talking,

gti44

Addicted to Softballfans
So? If two of the exact same same balls are used say Evil 52/300s are hit with two of the exact same bats (construction) except one is a 26 and one is a 30. Exit speed of say 98mph off the barrel same angle/wind/swing speed all the factors are the same except the weight of the bat. Do the balls land in the same place or will the heavier bat hit farther due to applied momentum?

Or say a balanced verse a endloaded bat the same weight...both built to the 98mph standard and every factor the same? Land in the same spot in the outfield?

Not being a **** or a troll, I really want to know?

croe33

Starting Player
I get what you are saying completely. What im saying is that if your power X with a 26oz bat allows you 90mph bat speed, and your power X with a 28oz bat gives you 89 or 88mph, you are still going to hit the ball further wait the 28oz bat. I'm arguing that I believe that most people can accelerate a little heavier bat within that window that allows the mass to offset the the decrease of velocity when swinging the heavier bat. From my experience, in BP if I use a 2oz heavier bat I don't really start my swing earlier to compensate for the extra weight, this gives me the assumption that I can get my bat speed up fast enough to the same speed with the heavier bat and keep my point of contact pretty close to where it was with the lighter bat.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
So? If a two of the exact same same balls are used say Evil 52/300s are hit with two for the exact same bats except one is a 26 and one is a 30. Exit speed of say 98mph off the barrel same angle/wind/swing speed all the factors are the same except the weight of the bat. Do the balls land in the same place or will the heavier bat hit farther due to applied momentum?

Or say a balanced verse a endloaded bat the same weight...both built to the 98mph standard and every factor the same? Land in the same spot in the outfield?

What? Applied momentum? What are you talking about? Once you establish velocity of the ball that's the only momentum there is.

If the ball left the bat at 98mph, that's it, it's not quantum entangled with the bat. They'd land in the same place.

croe33

Starting Player
Sorry I'll go post other inane irrelevant bull**** to get my post count up. :rolleyes:

Isn't the whole point of this thread, and the majority of the board for that matter, to post a bunch of nonsense?

Just trying to have conversation. I didn't realize that this was the only thread on the site and everyone was forced to read it.

Edit: My bad, didn't realize you were responding to Joker.

Joker

So? If a two of the exact same same balls are used say Evil 52/300s are hit with two for the exact same bats except one is a 26 and one is a 30. Exit speed of say 98mph off the barrel same angle/wind/swing speed all the factors are the same except the weight of the bat. Do the balls land in the same place or will the heavier bat hit farther due to applied momentum?

the bat creates the exit speed of the ball. after it leaves the bat it has no more effect on the ball. all other variables being equal 2 balls with the same exit speed will land in the same spot

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Post anything relevant in any thread or GTFO.

I get it, you think you're some big hero here, that this forum makes you "legit" or something. Frankly, it's a bit played.

Joker

Isn't the whole point of this thread, and the majority of the board for that matter, to post a bunch of nonsense?

Just trying to have conversation. I didn't realize that this was the only thread on the site and everyone was forced to read it.

i'm going to bring a protractor up to the plate my next at bat. its a simple game and unless you're designing a bat or a ball none of this really matters to a player. people over think it way way way way too much

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans

Softball related nonsense, yeah. Joker just posts useless ****. All. The. Time.

Like literally every post of his 35,000+ qualifies as "low content".

Joker

Post anything relevant in any thread or GTFO.

I get it, you think you're some big hero here, that this forum makes you "legit" or something. Frankly, it's a bit played.

Softball related nonsense, yeah. Joker just posts useless ****. All. The. Time.

Like literally every post of his 35,000+ qualifies as "low content".

i'm glad you could post such useful information with these posts

Joker

you guys should complain about me some more, it helps your triple digit IQs look legit