Ok, some of you make my head hurt....

MaverickAH

Why is everybody seemingly insistent on focusing on the bat/ball interaction & not the bat/player interaction?

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Pop, Distance, Exit Speed, Hotness......differences are obvious like when at the Voting Booth and pick between a Douche or a Turd Sandwich....

TRaj2327

head-explodes-confetti-o.gif

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
How in the blue flying **** does a bat have great exit speed, but the distance is lacking?

Someone just said "I am a line drive hitter so I am more concerned with exit speed, not overall distance."

How can you have one and not the other? In guessing I should now start looking for a bat to swing in hr derbies that hits the ball 500' but gets through the infield at the speed of 40rod's thought process?

exit speed = bat's performance
distance = batter's performance

I'm with ya all the way. the only reason a bat could hit the ball hard and not far, is if the batter is unable hit the ball hard while going for distance.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
No it's not. It's his truth.

You'd be right if we were talking about a science experiment under controlled conditions. Real world is different. As much as people would like to think that their swing is the same with every bat weight & bat balance, it's not! Angle of attack & point of contact will change for most people as they change from light to heavy or balanced to end-loaded even if they are somehow able to keep the same bat speed.

If Ball go far's swinging a lighter bat allows him to maintain a more level swing, swing through the center of the ball & retain more bat speed after contact, he may indeed experience more exit speed on the ball.

A heavier bat may slightly lower his bat trajectory allowing him to make contact with the ball below its median thus giving him more backspin & lift which can result in better carry.

If I were to guess, I'd say that Ball go far's experience is typical & definitely not impossible. Softball is not played in a lab & there are other factors involved in hitting a softball that are not being taken into account.

Real world........

Then he needs to learn to use the lighter bat more effectively, since the objective measure of exit speed indicates it would be better. The rest is subjective, essentially hitter error.

STLCoach

Nobiscum Deus
How in the blue flying **** does a bat have great exit speed, but the distance is lacking?

Someone just said "I am a line drive hitter so I am more concerned with exit speed, not overall distance."

How can you have one and not the other? In guessing I should now start looking for a bat to swing in hr derbies that hits the ball 500' but gets through the infield at the speed of 40rod's thought process?

It depends on the ball.. From what I've experienced with the 52's is that exit speeds are gtg but they die in the OF's.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Come on meow, that's from the Demarini section, everybody knows those bats have mystical powers over the softball.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I want a bat that slows the ball down immediately after it leaves the infield. Judy's all day long

Square up on 52's and they'll zip through the IF and die well before a 44/375. Has to do with ball weight and ball/bat collision.

Pop vs distance vs exit speed = inconsistent swing plane and contact point. 52's exaggerate the batter's input to the equation.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Not without the Demarini remote control handle that will be included on the new 2015 ASA only line, they're going to be hotter than ever!

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Only in the lighter weights on balanced models due to faster swing speeds and in heavier weights on end loaded models. Know the model bat your swinging and adjust your timing accordingly, it's all about knowing your equipment.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
No it's not. It's his truth.

You'd be right if we were talking about a science experiment under controlled conditions. Real world is different. As much as people would like to think that their swing is the same with every bat weight & bat balance, it's not! Angle of attack & point of contact will change for most people as they change from light to heavy or balanced to end-loaded even if they are somehow able to keep the same bat speed.

If Ball go far's swinging a lighter bat allows him to maintain a more level swing, swing through the center of the ball & retain more bat speed after contact, he may indeed experience more exit speed on the ball.

A heavier bat may slightly lower his bat trajectory allowing him to make contact with the ball below its median thus giving him more backspin & lift which can result in better carry.

If I were to guess, I'd say that Ball go far's experience is typical & definitely not impossible. Softball is not played in a lab & there are other factors involved in hitting a softball that are not being taken into account.

Real world........

well yeah obviously but thats essentially saying, "the bat has great exit speed but only hits grounders" well damn i'm not buying that bat. its not the bat thats the cause for the grounders. when judging just sheer physical abilities of the equipment itself, you have to control the variables so that they are the same. if a balls exit speed off 2 bats is 100 mph and all things are equal, one ball will not travel farther than the other.

I don't get good distance out of the bat, even thought it has great exit speed, because it changes my swing to hit more grounders than a fly ball is a completely valid review/reaction to a bat. I just don't think thats how its used in the majority of reviews.

Joker

well yeah obviously but thats essentially saying, "the bat has great exit speed but only hits grounders" well damn i'm not buying that bat. its not the bat thats the cause for the grounders. when judging just sheer physical abilities of the equipment itself, you have to control the variables so that they are the same. if a balls exit speed off 2 bats is 100 mph and all things are equal, one ball will not travel farther than the other.

I don't get good distance out of the bat, even thought it has great exit speed, because it changes my swing to hit more grounders than a fly ball is a completely valid review/reaction to a bat. I just don't think thats how its used in the majority of reviews.

gtfo with this, common sense has no place here

Livestrong63

Addicted to Softballfans
I like a bat with a lot of loft so the ball travels out towards the outfield then hits the ground with backspin.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian

Way to go thread killer.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
They MIGHT die quicker into the wind, since they have less momentum, but even that may actually be offset by them being more aerodynamic. Too close to the end of the semester for me to care enough to do the math, though.

Joker

i've seen 52's knuckle more. so again its the swing, spin, wind, contact point on the bat, contact point on the ball, launch angle that determine the ball dying not the exit speed

croe33

Starting Player
If you swing a 26oz and a 28oz bat with the same bat speed, would not the heavier bat, more follow-through have? The ball would have a lesser effect on the inertia of the heavier bat, correct - I assume also that the same can be said for a stiffer vs a more flexible bat. I was going to correct my yoda, but then I realized I said stiffer as well.

Joker

after the ball leaves the bat, the bat has no effect on the ball unless you happen to hit the ball a 2nd time

Buckeye20

Addicted to Softballfans
If you swing a 26oz and a 28oz bat with the same bat speed, would not the heavier bat, more follow-through have? The ball would have a lesser effect on the inertia of the heavier bat, correct - I assume also that the same can be said for a stiffer vs a more flexible bat. I was going to correct my yoda, but then I realized I said stiffer as well.

I know right , Imagine if izzy hit with a 30oz bat instead of a 26 , I bet if he did that he could get his name on a bat some day ! :) The weight of the bat has absolutely no effect on a ball what so ever ! Smh ! Where do people come up with this stuff ?

Last edited:

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
They MIGHT die quicker into the wind, since they have less momentum, but even that may actually be offset by them being more aerodynamic. Too close to the end of the semester for me to care enough to do the math, though.

When I first started hitting the 52/300s I noticed they weighed less--on a scale. They fly farther with the wind at your back and die quicker into a headwind than a heavier ball. Check that math.

***Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranties expressed or implied. Above terms subject to change without notice. All rights reserved. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. All sales are final.