Outing homerun derby "businessmen"

Devil Dog

You like soup?
Jesus H Christ on a popsicle stick. Increasing the inside diameter on a bat is a service. Just like putting a huge amp and speakers in a car to make it BUMP. Or putting whistletips in your exhaust. Or any other type of ANNOYING thing people pay to have done. (Stupid Tattoos) It is a CHOICE. Rather than ***** and moan about what OTHER people are doing, worry about how you live your OWN life. Rejoice in how righteous YOU are and lead by example. You are no better than the recovering alcoholic preaching about how people who drink are losers because THEY couldn't handle their booze and wrecked into a school bus...
Putting three 15" subs and a Rockford amp in your car couldn't possibly kill someone else.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Putting three 15" subs and a Rockford amp in your car couldn't possibly kill someone else.

It could, but would depend on the music you are bumping. I only want to hear Black and Yellow, because that is the only rap song I heard on the portable boom box for the first 18 months I lived here.

That would be a tight setup for Jason Aldean or Zac Brown Band.

Jesus H Christ on a popsicle stick. Increasing the inside diameter on a bat is a service. Just like putting a huge amp and speakers in a car to make it BUMP. Or putting whistletips in your exhaust. Or any other type of ANNOYING thing people pay to have done. (Stupid Tattoos) It is a CHOICE. Rather than ***** and moan about what OTHER people are doing, worry about how you live your OWN life. Rejoice in how righteous YOU are and lead by example. You are no better than the recovering alcoholic preaching about how people who drink are losers because THEY couldn't handle their booze and wrecked into a school bus...

first bold = exactly what I am doing

second bold = makes absolutely no sense

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
Dude ,even though not purposely,all you have done here is advertise. .... maybe you should see if those business owners want to let you earn commission

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I will start by calling you out for being a jerk, what possibly about this thread besides your own personality defect (the one that laughably has you referring to yourself as chrometip) gives you slightest inclination this is a hidden ad. Its like me saying your defense of these people makes you a bat altering business or customer

Lol, you think that up all by yourself or did you start a thread asking others for support?

Don't get mad

Dude ,even though not purposely,all you have done here is advertise. .... maybe you should see if those business owners want to let you earn commission

did you google homerun derby bats?

Then no that didnt happen not even not purposely.

This is my point the whole subject is so taboo we ignore it

WarHorse

Star Player
did you google homerun derby bats?

Then no that didnt happen not even not purposely.

This is my point the whole subject is so taboo we ignore it

The people giving you **** are the people who juice bats, bro. Ignore them. They're as sloppy as their game.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
They are legit business owners though, that is what you are missing. Nothing they are doing is illegal. You can argue morality all you want but the law doesn't really care about that. It's only concerned with what is written in the books.

No, I don't swing a shaved bat nor do I advocate such a behavior. But comparing bat altering to selling illegal drugs is apples to oranges.
Yeah, they're quite opposite. Bat altering is legal but unethical (unless they remove the association stamps or do something else to make sure it couldn't be taken as an unaltered bat), and selling drugs (just selling drugs, not all the other stuff that may or may not go on on the side) is illegal but not necessarily unethical.
maybe it sounds like semantics but legal and legit in reference to business are mutually exclusive in this case imo. OK lets say its legal, although I agree with JBO in that there are infringement issues, I am asking why we as a community and unassumingly ethical people allow these imbeciles to act with impunity.
What can you do to punish them? What evidence do you have that they're actually breaking rules?
But putting a turbocharger on it could.

frontagerdmaui

White Samoan
Dis really gon b gud.

I mean, honestly, why even have rules? Lets play anarchy ball instead, it's like softball but for people who totally suck at softball so they circumvent the rules in an attempt to be better.

For real though if you need to shave your bat, you need to play a different sport. Maybe curling is more up your alley?

****ing Canadians.... You have to be. Curling? Really? SMH. ****... worse... A PACKER FAN. LOL...

Ask the board if I have any skills. 6'5" 300lbs of HR hitting Silverback ape right here. If you want the link to prove it I will hunt it down.:eek::D

first bold = exactly what I am doing

second bold = makes absolutely no sense

I will clarify. I worked with a guy who didn't drink. At first he was cool but after a few jabs and comments about MY drinking became a bit personal, I had enough.

I said "You talk about how you used to drink a lot and were a fully functioning alcoholic. Now you are referring to me in that same manner. What is it about my drinking that makes me an alcoholic? That one morning I smelled like alcohol in the work truck? I don't know why YOU quit drinking and are all preachy about being sober but you must have done something REALLY ****ED UP to go cold turkey like that. What did you do, KILL SOMEONE?"

He never answered or talked to me for the rest of the 3 month job. Turns out he ALMOST killed someone. His Wife.

My point is not to you personally. But to everyone on here bitching about bat doctors. They are not advertising on this site so the mods have nothing to do about it. Just saying let those that shave bats live their life and you mind your own business. Unless it is affecting you (Bats in play in your league) then go to your league director to have them comp tested... They get caught, they get banned.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting for sure, wasn't aware of that. Thanks for this nugget.

Decals and altering are different. Would you agree? Printing a logo and affixing it to another item would create legal issues for sure. I see this and altering as being different from that perspective.

Thanks for looking.

We are in complete agreement regarding the immature nature of shaving a bat. I wish it weren't out there, but I just have so many more important things to do in my life than police something like that. Cheaters will cheat, I just teach my kids to live and compete in a manner that is above reproach. That's what I can, and should, control so that is where I will focus.

In my experience, the younger kids are more likely to swing altered sticks. They are, typically, more lazy and posses a lower standard of morals and self respect. That is simply my take on it. Others will disagree.

Decals definitely are, but they got the bat doctors under RICOH if I'm not mistaken, and the sticking point for them legally was "in commerce". By charging for their service(or by charging and shipping, I can't remember for sure which it was) the bats were legally considered entering into commerce and fell under the RICOH laws. Even though the customer wasn't always buying the bat, if they sent them the bat to shave, they still considered it a product entering the business market as a counterfeit as it had the companies trademark on it and the association stamp when neither were still accurate.

As you see from that other thread this was almost 5 years ago, so I may be getting some of the phrasing wrong, but that was the gist of it. I don't think shorel gets on as much as he used to. I'm sure he could tell you all about it if he did.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Decals definitely are, but they got the bat doctors under RICOH if I'm not mistaken, and the sticking point for them legally was "in commerce". By charging for their service(or by charging and shipping, I can't remember for sure which it was) the bats were legally considered entering into commerce and fell under the RICOH laws. Even though the customer wasn't always buying the bat, if they sent them the bat to shave, they still considered it a product entering the business market as a counterfeit as it had the companies trademark on it and the association stamp when neither were still accurate.

As you see from that other thread this was almost 5 years ago, so I may be getting some of the phrasing wrong, but that was the gist of it. I don't think shorel gets on as much as he used to. I'm sure he could tell you all about it if he did.

Interesting. Makes sense to me.

This is exactly the kind of treatment these people deserve!

WarHorse

Star Player
Lol like I said, the people defending the shaved bat heroes are the shaved bat heroes. Give them a real stick and they can't hit the broad size of their gigantic mothers.

#hysterical

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
Lol like I said, the people defending the shaved bat heroes are the shaved bat heroes. Give them a real stick and they can't hit the broad size of their gigantic mothers.

#hysterical

#pleaseloseyourfingersinaweedeateraccidentsoyoucan'ttypeanymore

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian

#hysterical

Sometimes you have to try a different lure, maybe something shiny....

bigsmooth13

Manager

Whistletips.......now I have Bubb Rubb and Lil Sis in my head. WooooWooooooooooo

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been playing ball for a loooong time. The one thing that I have learned is that the guy/team that complains the most about shaved bats are in fact the very ones with shaved bats. It makes no sense to me to risk injury to someone else for the sole purpose of hitting a softball another 20'.

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
Never carry a knife to a gun fight. Kinda like people like myself who have a Conceal Carry permit. I carry everyday, ALWAYS assume that they have a concealed weapon to0, never leave home without it. That being said, I ALWAYS have an "Outlaw" prepped Utrip stick in my bag at all times should the time arise that I need it to even out the playing field against the opposing team "should" they be using one against my team. Can I always tell if there is a cut stick on the opposing team, NO, do I use it anyway? NO, but I'm always prepared. I have pitched a many of games (playing Outlaw) where the opposing teams ALL have cut, painted and rolled bats. Is it scary, by all means. But it is apart of the game and should be expected at anytime. It's sad but true and it is all over the softball world.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course it's all over the softball world when you feel you can't beat them if you don't join them.

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
Of course it's all over the softball world when you feel you can't beat them if you don't join them.

This is true as well. Nothing will ever change until the LD's/leagues provide all bats, until then we must deal with what we are faced with on the field.

Jimmy34

Board Prick
I'll do the advertising since the OG poster knows about these guys he must have been looking for something...:thinking:

I know them both, don't purchase from them but I know them and they run a business of shaving bats to make them hotter and BOTH have disclaimers about not using the bats they cut in official play and BOTH guys advertise them as "for use in HR Derby's only"

No crime in taking someones bat and doing anything you want to use it for "fun" and not one bat company can do a thing about what you do to your bat UNLESS you use it in sanctioned play...they are not changing association stamps nor are they painting them on illegally, they are taking peoples bats and making them weigh less and have disclaimers...all legal...

It's the USER who is wrong, not the doctor...

Do I condone this...NO FRIGGIN WAY, but it is what it is, blame the end user, not the doctor...

Last edited by a moderator:

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll do the advertising since the OG poster knows about these guys he must have been looking for something...:thinking:

Suncoast Bat Pros and Exclusive Bats, both in Florida, both sponsor and play on teams, both guys are business men and everyone knows what they do...

I know them both, don't purchase from them but I know them and they run a business of shaving bats to make them hotter and BOTH have disclaimers about not using the bats they cut in official play and BOTH guys advertise them as "for use in HR Derby's only"

No crime in taking someones bat and doing anything you want to use it for "fun" and not one bat company can do a thing about what you do to your bat UNLESS you use it in sanctioned play...they are not changing association stamps nor are they painting them on illegally, they are taking peoples bats and making them weigh less and have disclaimers...all legal...

It's the USER who is wrong, not the doctor...

Do I condone this...NO FRIGGIN WAY, but it is what it is, blame the end user, not the doctor...

Well said.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not well said, and it's 100% wrong.

First of all, it is illegal. The links to the prior lawsuit are above.

Secondly, there is nothing illegal about a person doing anything they want to their bat. Taking money for it, however, is how the bat doctors were taken out previously. Again, see the above links. The bat has a trademark on it, and an association stamp that is based on meeting guidelines. Neither of those things are any longer accurate, and if the bat doctors don't remove said marks before returning the bat to their customer they are guilty of breaking counterfeit laws.

Thirdly, I blame the doctors and the users. There is no other way to look at it. It also doesn't matter if the other team has one in their dugout.

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans

Secondly, there is nothing illegal about a person doing anything they want to their bat. Taking money for it, however, is how the bat doctors were taken out previously. Again, see the above links. The bat has a trademark on it, and an association stamp that is based on meeting guidelines. Neither of those things are any longer accurate, and if the bat doctors don't remove said marks before returning the bat to their customer they are guilty of breaking counterfeit laws.

Thirdly, I blame the doctors and the users. There is no other way to look at it. It also doesn't matter if the other team has one in their dugout.

I understand your opinion on this and respect it as well, at the end of the day is is all about a choice the end user chooses.

Jimmy34

Board Prick

I know it's 100% debatable but see it this way...

I crack my bat, have a buddy cut the end, fill it with whatever, pay him for it and use it for BP...you really think my buddy is getting sued for that???

Tell me what's different??? And you can't say he didn't do it for profit because I paid him for it...the bat is ILLEGAL and he altered a bat I paid for with my money...once I buy a bat, IT'S MINE, end of story...if I want to paint it friggin rainbow colors and hit BP with it or hit HR Derby's with it, I can, I bought it, I do whatever I want with it...once it's in my possesion it's mine, END OF STORY...

The bat painters, to hell and back with them, the bat shavers, what can you really do...they are not doing anything illegal to a bat that was purchased by someone...if they are trying to sell it as a LEGAL bat, yes, that's a whole different game...

You can quote laws, court cases whatever you want...the bottom line is once they have a disclaimer that the bat is no longer legal for play, THEY ARE 100% LEGIT in their sales of shaving bats...the disclaimer is there because of lawsuits...without it they are going to get in trouble, with it the bat companies can't do a damn thing...and that's been proven in those cases against previous bat cutters...

Like it or not it won't stop...remember, the shaving guys are NOT passing the bat off as a legal bat, they are dissolved of any litigation by using the correct language in their disclaimers...

IT IS THE END USER, NOT THE SHAVER!!!