Outing homerun derby "businessmen"

Did a quick search and didn't see any previous thread like this just wondering if I am missing a thread shaming these people.

They advertise on auction sites, web, locally, etc. They use bat company logos. I don't understand how its just swept under the rug.

Case in point in Florida there is a local lowlife who sponsors teams named after his "business". Additionally I saw on auction site another business also in FL that talks about what experts they are at it.

Only thing I can think of by calling these people out, does it become an advertisement for these people?

Metaphorically speaking it's like the war on drugs..
(no disrespect or intent to trivialize anyone currently fighting that war)

But WTF!!!

Last edited:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will trivialize the war on drugs constantly, but I think I agree with your other point.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not on a message board. If you call them out here it's just more advertising for them. Email your state and national directors if you want their teams "dealt with".

Lord7

Banned User
Lets start a thread calling out these people who think they are legit business owners.

If a guy was selling drugs on your corner you would say something right ?

My kids got ahold of my home run derby bat and now they are addicted to dropping coed panty lubricating bombs! I blame the system really and demand reparations. I'm the victim here.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Lets start a thread calling out these people who think they are legit business owners.

If a guy was selling drugs on your corner you would say something right ?

They are legit business owners though, that is what you are missing. Nothing they are doing is illegal. You can argue morality all you want but the law doesn't really care about that. It's only concerned with what is written in the books.

No, I don't swing a shaved bat nor do I advocate such a behavior. But comparing bat altering to selling illegal drugs is apples to oranges.

lx_2nv

Coach
Leave it to L7 to bring laughter!

If the OP is talking about companies that alter bats....every ad I have seen was called them homerun derby bats...NOT to be used in league play. Not saying people may use them in league - but that is not the companies fault.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are legit business owners though, that is what you are missing. Nothing they are doing is illegal. You can argue morality all you want but the law doesn't really care about that. It's only concerned with what is written in the books.

No, I don't swing a shaved bat nor do I advocate such a behavior. But comparing bat altering to selling illegal drugs is apples to oranges.

It's actually illegal. I think it was the ASA that took down the major ones several years ago. They took them on under the counterfeiting laws I believe, because they're selling a bat with a TM stamp and an association mark that are no longer valid or correct.

I'll see if I can find the thread. Shorel explained all the legalese for us. :D

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

If the OP is talking about companies that alter bats....every ad I have seen was called them homerun derby bats...NOT to be used in league play. Not saying people may use them in league - but that is not the companies fault.

Especially since all his early bombs were Gilette aided.

Sbrazel21

BAT W#0RE
Hmmmm

if the bats are truly meant to be for "derby use only" why are the Dr's making sure to use NEW STAMPED bats?:cool:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't find it. It was huge back when it happened so it might have been deleted for being over 3K posts.

maybe it sounds like semantics but legal and legit in reference to business are mutually exclusive in this case imo. OK lets say its legal, although I agree with JBO in that there are infringement issues, I am asking why we as a community and unassumingly ethical people allow these imbeciles to act with impunity.

Lord did bring the laughter, but with a side of irony, I mean what does it say to the 23 yr old you bring on the team when the 35 year olds are swinging altered sticks.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
It's probably illegal if they are selling shaved bats since they will be selling a product with the associations approval stamps. I don't see how providing shaving or rolling as a service to a customer's bat could be considered illegal.

Aside from that, if you seriously want to rat them out, do like JBO said and call your directors and see if they can do anything. If business is just slow and you need some bats to work so you can make that paper, by all means call yourself out and have plenty of shipping boxes ready.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
It's actually illegal. I think it was the ASA that took down the major ones several years ago. They took them on under the counterfeiting laws I believe, because they're selling a bat with a TM stamp and an association mark that are no longer valid or correct.

I'll see if I can find the thread. Shorel explained all the legalese for us. :D

Interesting for sure, wasn't aware of that. Thanks for this nugget.

This is the thread about the Decals, and it was worth/miken doing the suing here.

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=446496&highlight=doctors

Decals and altering are different. Would you agree? Printing a logo and affixing it to another item would create legal issues for sure. I see this and altering as being different from that perspective.

Can't find it. It was huge back when it happened so it might have been deleted for being over 3K posts.

Thanks for looking.

maybe it sounds like semantics but legal and legit in reference to business are mutually exclusive in this case imo. OK lets say its legal, although I agree with JBO in that there are infringement issues, I am asking why we as a community and unassumingly ethical people allow these imbeciles to act with impunity.

Lord did bring the laughter, but with a side of irony, I mean what does it say to the 23 yr old you bring on the team when the 35 year olds are swinging altered sticks.

We are in complete agreement regarding the immature nature of shaving a bat. I wish it weren't out there, but I just have so many more important things to do in my life than police something like that. Cheaters will cheat, I just teach my kids to live and compete in a manner that is above reproach. That's what I can, and should, control so that is where I will focus.

In my experience, the younger kids are more likely to swing altered sticks. They are, typically, more lazy and posses a lower standard of morals and self respect. That is simply my take on it. Others will disagree.

It's probably illegal if they are selling shaved bats since they will be selling a product with the associations approval stamps. I don't see how providing shaving or rolling as a service to a customer's bat could be considered illegal.

Aside from that, if you seriously want to rat them out, do like JBO said and call your directors and see if they can do anything. If business is just slow and you need some bats to work so you can make that paper, by all means call yourself out and have plenty of shipping boxes ready.

I will start by calling you out for being a jerk, what possibly about this thread besides your own personality defect (the one that laughably has you referring to yourself as chrometip) gives you slightest inclination this is a hidden ad. Its like me saying your defense of these people makes you a bat altering business or customer

WarHorse

Star Player
I will start by calling you out for being a jerk, what possibly about this thread besides your own personality defect (the one that laughably has you referring to yourself as chrometip) gives you slightest inclination this is a hidden ad. Its like me saying your defense of these people makes you a bat altering business or customer

tHw0b.gif

GoldGlove4

Addicted to Softballfans
Part of the game until they make end caps that are not replaceble or do something different I don't see it going away. Calling out these companies isn't going to do anything. If I know my warranty is voided by shaving a bat and I do not use it in any association play then what's the problem? If your are blowing up a pitcher in league play with a shaved bat then I don't agree.

frontagerdmaui

White Samoan
Jesus H Christ on a popsicle stick. Increasing the inside diameter on a bat is a service. Just like putting a huge amp and speakers in a car to make it BUMP. Or putting whistletips in your exhaust. Or any other type of ANNOYING thing people pay to have done. (Stupid Tattoos) It is a CHOICE. Rather than ***** and moan about what OTHER people are doing, worry about how you live your OWN life. Rejoice in how righteous YOU are and lead by example. You are no better than the recovering alcoholic preaching about how people who drink are losers because THEY couldn't handle their booze and wrecked into a school bus...

WarHorse

Star Player
Jesus H Christ on a popsicle stick. Increasing the inside diameter on a bat is a service. Just like putting a huge amp and speakers in a car to make it BUMP. Or putting whistletips in your exhaust. Or any other type of ANNOYING thing people pay to have done. (Stupid Tattoos) It is a CHOICE. Rather than ***** and moan about what OTHER people are doing, worry about how you live your OWN life. Rejoice in how righteous YOU are and lead by example. You are no better than the recovering alcoholic preaching about how people who drink are losers because THEY couldn't handle their booze and wrecked into a school bus...

Dis really gon b gud.

I mean, honestly, why even have rules? Lets play anarchy ball instead, it's like softball but for people who totally suck at softball so they circumvent the rules in an attempt to be better.

For real though if you need to shave your bat, you need to play a different sport. Maybe curling is more up your alley?

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
Dis really gon b gud.

I mean, honestly, why even have rules? Lets play anarchy ball instead, it's like softball but for people who totally suck at softball so they circumvent the rules in an attempt to be better.

For real though if you need to shave your bat, you need to play a different sport. Maybe curling is more up your alley?

i shave my stones

WarHorse

Star Player
i shave my stones

I'm all natural. When I curl though I have to ghetto curl. We don't use stones, we use cinder blocks, and when we're done curling we return the brooms to the janitor and use the cinder blocks to prop cars up on and steal their rims.

/true story