Pitchers... Fielding the middle

southpaw15

Addicted to Softballfans
T. Heck, great questions and some interesting responses. First and foremost, it comes down to being comfortable with your own abilities before you toe the rubber. If you are confident that you can protect yourself, mentally you've won the hardest battle when it comes to pitching. Going into every game, every inning, expect to get a ball or more hit at you. The second you don't expect the ball, it will happen and you're not prepared. For me, it was all about a rhythm I could get into after the pitch is thrown. Some can back pedal multiple steps, some can just do one step, some just stand there. It comes down to what works best for you!! It takes practice, no doubt about it. If you're in a cage, pitch from the very front of the screen as it sits in front of you, then try 1 step, then try 2, and see what works for you. If you can get to 2 steps, great, if only 1 that's fine also. Like many have already stated, setting your feet like an infielder is key to catching anything. If you're body is in motion, so are your eyes and that directly correlates to your equilibrium. If you are balanced, your eyes are steady and your body can react accordingly.

I've been very fortunate to pitch at the upper levels of softball now for quite a few years. I've been hit, and hit hard, but for some unknown reason I keep going back out there. It's one hell of an adrenaline rush, and if you're a leader in life, this is a position for you. You set your infield how you want them set, and then try to pitch into that defense. Your defense is your protection, so try your hardest to pitch to them. ASA, NSA pitching is different for me than GSL or USSSA because of the rule differences foremost, but also the reaction time you have. First, get comfortable with yourself and your body!! Once you feel you have that conquered, then move onto throwing different pitches that move if you can. Knuckle balls are the obvious choice, but they are also the hardest to throw for strikes, especially in windy conditions. Work on throwing curve balls, or runners with the wind also. Finger position on the ball is key to making a ball move. It all comes down to practice.

Andy Purcell is probably one of the greatest pitchers ever in slow-pitch, if not the greatest. I've played against him for years, and talked to him about what he does and how he thinks. What has worked for him, doesn't necessarily work for others. He has large hands, and obviouly this helps controlling pitches. Billy Messina has enormous hands, and it's hard to pick up what he's doing sometimes. The best advice I've ever gotten on pitching and attempting to throw strikes comes down to something very simple. Your thumb is the most important part on your hand when it comes to pitching!!!!!!! Your thumb will dictate where the ball goes 99% of the time. If your thumb is off to the right on the ball, the ball is probably going right. Thumb to the left, probably going left. This sounds very simple, but try it out you'll see how simple adjustments can make a huge difference!!

I hope some of this helps you gain confidence, but it's really up to you at the end of the day. Lots of people want to pitch, but it is a HELL of a lot harder than most people think. My favorite are outfielders yelling to throw strikes from hundreds of feet away. I always just turn around and tell them to come on in and try it out. Guess what, none of them take the challenge!!

Best of luck!

Dan Bean
Taylormade/Mizuno

blakcherry329

Pretty much my style.

But I am a chubby big dude.

So I am not exactly able to back pedal quickly and be ready enough to make plays. More likely to be set and ready if I pitch and focus.

If I played higher level, I probably would be a little more worried and back pedal.

I do wear a helmet with face guard, so perhaps this is why I am a little more confident to pitch and set and get the glove up and ready.
Yeah, me too. I also have bad knees, so I'm not back pedaling too far anyway. I played 3rd, back in the day, so the speed of the ball doesn't scare me. I step toward the plate when I pitch, for the most part. (i also pitch Modified). So I take a step back, and get ready. I also pitch from a little behind the mound. I have a LaX Helmet, so I don't worry about grounders off the rubber

Like others have said, step back as far as you can and still be completely set before the ball is hit. Otherwise your eyes will be bouncing and it'll be difficult to pick up the ball. 3 steps back is worth about another 1/10th of a second. 1/10th is the difference between getting your glove from below your waist to your chest to your head.
I recommend pitching with your glove basically across your chest when you release the ball. Protect your head and your heart first, anything you can get a glove on after that is a bonus.

As frustrating as it may be sometimes, don't get angry when your defense fails you. It's going to happen.

There's nothing to be gained as a pitcher talking ish, all that'll happen is more and more middle shots. Sooner or later you'll lose.

Good luck and remember EVERY SINGLE PITCH YOU THROW IS COMING RIGHT BACK AT YOU. Keep that mindset at all times when you pitch and you'll be alright.
You can never get mad at your team making errors. It's a team win or loss. You don't want them yelling at you when you can't find it or getting shelled.

Play some ping pong....
I love ping-pong. Had a table, growing up. Don't get to play much, anymore.

Well after pitching in the tunnel today I dont think this will work out lol.... Just not comfortable.

Havent hit or anything in a few months but was quickly reminded why I never pitched before.

You have to have a certain mind-set to pitch, for sure. You can't pitch scared. If you get some shin guards and a Helmet, you should be gtg. Don't give up too fast.:biggthumpup:

The leagues around here have the pitchers box (not the dead ball out halo) so I start 6 feet back from the get go.

I've pitched enough I usually don't need to step when I pitch so I back pedal a couple of steps and set up but if there is a runner on first base I'll take a couple more steps and cover two.

I usually don't defend as well when I cover two but I feel like we get a lot more outs from the middle infield because they can play deeper.

The biggest thing is don't let down on a pitch that is clearly going to be a ball because those are the ones where a dude changes his swing and lasers you lol.

I also where a mask regardless of what level I'm playing. People can make all the jokes/comments they want. We had a dude almost lose an eye and had several facial surgeries from a shot to the face after a bad bounce. Its just not worth the risk.

I think those days are over. Nowadays it's more talked about if the pitcher isn't wearing a mask, imo. Better safe than sorry. The only time I don't wear a mask is in my Clincher modified league. Not too worried about a Clincher doing damage.

Last edited:

lanikeas

O2BSURFN
Get yourself some shinguards as well, preferably with some ankle protection. It's very hard to get all the way down and getting hit happens. You need to understand that you are going to get hit, yes you may field some or even most, but you are going to get hit eventually. It's not fun but it's part of the position.

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
Southpaw, Blackcherry and Ian thanks for the advice.... Looking forward to playing with thumb placement.
Really want to get on the field and do some pitching, hopefully the weather breaks soon!

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Great advice from all the guys, especially Southpaw. Pitched for years, no protection, but I play only E ball. Even so, still considering mask, and definitely looking for some shinguards before the start of next.

Getting too old to play to field balls that low anymore. The hockey reference is superb. Shinguards will let you knock down a fair # of groundballs without breaking your shins.

I will say this, I've been clocked many times, and kudos to the softball associations for putting safety above the whining of some p***y hitters who can't hit. Last year took 3 shots off the L shin with the 52/300, and pretty sure the 2nd or 3rd one would've broken my tib/fib. As it is, shin was sore for several weeks, but not much of a red mark from multiple impacts. Game's a lot safer, but still an inherent risk when you're pitching.

Clint Eastwood said it best: Protect yourself at all times (Million Dollar Baby)

Good luck!!

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
Great advice from all the guys, especially Southpaw. Pitched for years, no protection, but I play only E ball. Even so, still considering mask, and definitely looking for some shinguards before the start of next.

Getting too old to play to field balls that low anymore. The hockey reference is superb. Shinguards will let you knock down a fair # of groundballs without breaking your shins.

I will say this, I've been clocked many times, and kudos to the softball associations for putting safety above the whining of some p***y hitters who can't hit. Last year took 3 shots off the L shin with the 52/300, and pretty sure the 2nd or 3rd one would've broken my tib/fib. As it is, shin was sore for several weeks, but not much of a red mark from multiple impacts. Game's a lot safer, but still an inherent risk when you're pitching.

Clint Eastwood said it best: Protect yourself at all times (Million Dollar Baby)

Good luck!!

Next time you are considering a mask, look at the pictures from Madbeers recent incident
http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1419064
and then go buy one.

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
I lucked out and found a pitcher for league, But will have a chance to maybe pitch in church league so I figure that will be a good start.

blakcherry329

I lucked out and found a pitcher for league, But will have a chance to maybe pitch in church league so I figure that will be a good start.

LOL, that is probably MORE dangerous than a regular league. Bat control is at a premium.:biggthumpup: Definitely armor up there.;)

TheSilentMan35

Senior baller...don't let the age bothers you!

Ah...gotta be careful in church league, who knows if some guys there have fake halos...

Anyways, important to wear mask (that is a must regardless of what level you play)...and to improve pitching quality, do alot of pitching in BP, team practices, games, etc..you will hone your skills over period of time.

I am currently playing on 50+ major team.

Calli4120

ASA Free Since 05
This year I have been thinking about gearing up like a goaling. After I release the pitch I am going to charge the plate and try to block the hit like on a punt.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Next time you are considering a mask, look at the pictures from Madbeers recent incident
http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1419064
and then go buy one.

Suppose anything can happen, but this is what happened to Madbeers:

He was tossing bp in a cage, threw a pitch and while releasing he hit his leg slightly. Making the pitch fall short, so he assumed the guy wasn't going to swing. Bent down to grab another ball, dude swung and nailed him right before he could react and get behind the screen.

Been pitching 20 years, only times I have come close to being hit is when I'm not set for defense. That being said, if I were playing upper level I would wear a mask and chest protector.

pkc31887

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw one more but can't remember what game it was. I'm pitching around the 9:15 mark. Lockdown sports. But nothing is hit at me in this game

hitsone

I've been pitching for a lot of years, sometimes I can even throw a strike.
I can not emphasize how important it is to armour up. Knee/shin guards, cup, wrist guards, facemask/helmet, even chest protectors.
Yes, you have a glove but you are not always fast enough. Back peddling is important not only for safety but for fielding position.
I know this because I was in the ER Sunday with a nasty dislocated pitching hand thumb. Pissle out of the shadows at the plate. Got my glove on it enough to bruise my little finger and deflect it into my thumb.
Boy sure looked weird. $500. medical fee. They drove me to the ER but nobody grabbed my bat. It has disappeared,...so has my season. I'll miss 2 tourneys and 2 league playoffs. Could have been worse. Out 6+ weeks.

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
My priorities on the mound are:

1) Stay safe
2) Pitch strikes

I stick to rec leagues these days, so anything I field while pitching is a bonus.

bdavis812

Addicted to Softballfans
I read a lot of the posts but not all. The ones I read were decent advice. I have been pitching a LONG time. Too long. The first thing is to know where your defense is and know where you want the batter to hit the ball. Obviously its not easy but its important to know what you WANT to happen. Then I rock backwards as I am pitching towards whatever hole in the infield I need to cover. A couple of steps back then set up.....and hope they don't hit it at you. If they do, you are ready. And always wear at least a mask. Good Luck!!!

PeteJC

Addicted to Softballfans
Halo Rule

I'm hoping to get a Halo Rule added to our E tourneys. Too many pitchers are getting hit and hitting the middle is being used as a way to intimidate pitchers. I'd like to see the rule follow along some of the MLB rules on pitchers throwing at batters. Here are some of the rules proposed to this point.

-Create a pitchers alley by putting lines on each side of the rubber.
-Any ball sharply hit through the pitchers box violates the rule.
-Dribblers, pop ups and balls hit out of reach over the pitchers head don't count.
-First occurrence in a game is warning to both teams.
-Second occurrence is a DBO.
-Third occurrence is an ejection of the hitter.
-Fourth occurrence is a forfeit.
-Any pitcher that engages the other team trying to draw them into a violation or mocks them because they can't by rule hit a them will be removed from the pitching position.

These rules are meant to prevent pitchers from getting hit and injured. Only initiating a warning or punishment after a pitcher gets hit kind of defeats the intent of the rule. Accidents happen but our skills shouldn't be used to drill pitchers. We love HOT bats and balls that FLY. Lets try to keep out pitchers just a little safer at 50 feet from a ball that travels well over 300 feet in just a few seconds.

whiterabbit35

Addicted to Softballfans
What size and what make glove do you guys use? I have a 12 3/4 Vinci I've had for years but it's time to get a new one. Any advice?

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I'm hoping to get a Halo Rule added to our E tourneys.

How about forcing pitchers to pitch from 55-60 feet away to have more reaction time?

How about awarding a walk to the batter any time the pitcher does not take at least one set backwards and places his glove in a defensive position in front of this chest?

How about forcing pitchers to pass a pitcher's defensive pitching test?

How about forcing TDs to have the balls to disqualify NON-E teams or players from E level games?

In most cases, pitchers get hit because they are not defending themselves properly - Why not address THAT ISSUE as part of the solution?

I know not every hit is catchable - but if your glove is already chest high & you are concentrating on the bat contacting the ball, it's highly unlikely that you cannot get your glove up 12" to protect your face... It's when pitchers fail to follow this practice that they are getting hit...

Even in the latest event, Madbeers admitted to 'assuming he wasn't going to swing' and so he did not protect himself...

Even if you put up a screen in front of an improperly defensive pitcher, if he chooses to step out from behind it, he's still likely to get hit - If 36" isn't wide enough to prevent them from being stupid, maybe we need 48" screens, or 56" screens - Or just wall off the pitcher completely and make him throw over the wall????

Eject the pitcher if he's not protecting himself! It's his responsibility...

%%%

b#7

CAPN MORGAN
I'm hoping to get a Halo Rule added to our E tourneys. Too many pitchers are getting hit and hitting the middle is being used as a way to intimidate pitchers. I'd like to see the rule follow along some of the MLB rules on pitchers throwing at batters. Here are some of the rules proposed to this point.

-Create a pitchers alley by putting lines on each side of the rubber.
-Any ball sharply hit through the pitchers box violates the rule.
-Dribblers, pop ups and balls hit out of reach over the pitchers head don't count.
-First occurrence in a game is warning to both teams.
-Second occurrence is a DBO.
-Third occurrence is an ejection of the hitter.
-Fourth occurrence is a forfeit.
-Any pitcher that engages the other team trying to draw them into a violation or mocks them because they can't by rule hit a them will be removed from the pitching position.

These rules are meant to prevent pitchers from getting hit and injured. Only initiating a warning or punishment after a pitcher gets hit kind of defeats the intent of the rule. Accidents happen but our skills shouldn't be used to drill pitchers. We love HOT bats and balls that FLY. Lets try to keep out pitchers just a little safer at 50 feet from a ball that travels well over 300 feet in just a few seconds.

Why don't you just put a red shirt on the pitcher that says it's off limits like QBs in practice for football? I've played with some of these rules and they do absolutely nothing but add more interpretation for the umpires and players and make the game less fun b/c there is more arguing will happen.

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
We tried the Halo rule in our league a few years ago. Before the next season started we held a coaches meeting and it was put to a vote. I don't know if it's true everywhere, but here a lot of pitcher's are either the coach/manager or the "second in command". It was voted down almost unanimously. As others have stated, if it's really E-level, the chances of batters having enough control to stay out of the middle is unlikely. I still don't know why individual players aren't given ratings based on ability. They're able to do it in tennis/USTA and it does keep the competition fairly balanced.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
What size and what make glove do you guys use? I have a 12 3/4 Vinci I've had for years but it's time to get a new one. Any advice?

For me, the bigger the better when on the mound. Mine is marked 15" but measures at 16". Looks like a damn pizza box.

I use a 13.5" - I would move bigger than 12.75" but bigger than 14" for me becomes ***bersome to wield accurately...

When anything is hit close to me, I like to make a stab to catch it - My 13.5" is still quick enough to make a lot of plays where the ball is just barely inside the glove...

%%%

HAVOC34

NorCal COMbatant
I know I'm not saying anything new here, but I'll tell you my thoughts:
I wear soccer shin guards with the protective ankle stirrups and a simple mouth guard most of the time. I use a 15" glove, which I can get away with since I'm a big guy. I also own a lacrosse helmet for use in certain tournaments.
No matter what level you play, the fundamentals never change. Assume every pitch will be hit back at you. With a 5 man infield I will move back and over just a couple steps towards the vacant spot. In a 4 man infield It will depend on the batter and pitch to determine which way I move. But even if I don't move left or right , I will always be moving at least one or two steps back, while staying on the balls of my feet. It's very important that your feet and glove are set before contact. Even a seemingly easy play could become dangerous if you aren't in fielding position. It also helps to have the mentality that you want every ball hit at you and that you can field any ball hit in your direction. Without confidence, you are useless out there.

SoCalChappy619

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd imagine with ss and 2 filling in the holes a little it would help a ton, definitely something I want to work on.

Our pitching height is 6 to 10 or 12 so should be plenty of time to get back and ready I would think.

Follow your pitch. If you are pitching inside to a righty drop to the 1-6 hole and set your feet. Or vise versa. Do not back pedal and try to get as far back as you can. Just get to where you can be set and balanced to defend your position. If you are not running a 5 man that's my advice. If you are always pitch to your 5 man and jump the opposite hole and get set.

SandyWH

#Delicious
We tried the halo rule for a couple of years, and it went OK.

The problem then became pitchers throwing low and away to try and "bait" teams into hitting middle.
Then as the teams/players got better pitchers started talking all sorts of trash knowing they were relatively safe to mouth off.

We revoked the rule and things have been pretty smooth since.

Unfortunately there are some very good ball players in the league and not many pitchers are wearing protection. So we've had a few instances where guys got hurt.

We've been pushing for mandatory fielding masks for pitchers. I hope it eventually goes through. Because right now the only pitchers wearing masks are the ones that know how to pitch, get back, and are ready. The statue guys haven't smartened up yet.