Pitchers?

slick303

B(.)(.)BS
When pitching right hand throw do you step? If so, do you step forward with your right foot or left? Do you ever mix it up? Tell me if it is pitch specific....same questions for the lefties. Go!

THESHOE

Starting Player
RHT - step forward with my left foot. A little closed or open stanced along with my grip and release to get the arc curving a little left to right or right to left.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Lefty- one step forward with right foot. I try to keep that part of my motion consistent. May take a long step or short step depending on wind and if I want to throw short or long

SandyWH

#Delicious
RHT - No step forward. Primarily I'll throw with left foot forward. But will switch up my stance just to add to some trickeration. With right foot forward and throwing with my right hand The all come out of the arc later. Usually throw backhanded with with feet even. I'll also step off the side of the rubber and step toward third base with a little "fade away" move. It doesn't help the pitch but it adds to fun of it.

I've learned not to do anything pitch specific. Spent a few off seasons and BP sessions learning how to throw every pitch I have from the different feet positions. It makes it more fun to pitch and adds usually gets the other team trying to guess what I'm throwing from the different positions.

slick303

B(.)(.)BS
Most who step, step with the same foot they would if they throw overhand. Have you ever tried the other way? I was playing around with it the other night and found it more natural than I thought it would be and was p,eased with the results...

addicted2bats

RHT - I stand with left foot on the corner of the rubber 3B side and have my right foot about 45 degrees forward and to the side. I do this for a bit, and vary the width of my stance toward 3B. Sometimes I'll stretch out as far as I can toward 3B and release more side arm than normal to maximize the effect it has on the angle of the ball coming in to the plate.

Then I'll switch it up and put left foot toe forward on the back corner of the rubber on the 1B side and run it in on the hands of a righty.

You can do a lot if you learn a curveball. Varying the angles mixed with the break of the pitch can make it tough on hitters.

But the first stance with the right foot forward is the most comfortable for me now after years of throwing that way.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
RFT - Full follow thru with left foot. Try and keep delivery the same on all my pitch's.

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential
RHT

I keep it simple; right foot on the rubber, left leg towards the plate.

-G

BigGilly44

The Rookie
RHT - I dont step or really ever throw it the same twice. Left foot on rubber (or close to it) leaning to the right. Or right foot on rubber when ptching from behind the rubber or off the the left of the rubber. I dont step. Just practice that arm flip, shouldnt need to step. Never give the batters the same view or step all that does is help their timing. Throw them off. Us pitchers only have a few options since the ball is going what, 7mph? High and slow, faster and flat, knuckle, curve, backwards spinner. Just practice my friend youll figure it out.

hitsone

I have my left foot on the rubber, at the very right edge, so I throw from as far right as I can.
With the right foot back it gives me a 3 foot start at my back peddle.
The further you are away from the batter the better you can play defence....and keep away from those liners that can catch up to you.

pitcherman

Used to almost be good
RHT, right foot forward, pitch and push off backwards to take a few steps and then get set for missiles coming back at me.

b#7

CAPN MORGAN
I pitch with my right foot forward. I've found that it puts less stress on my right knee than putting my left foot forward and using my right leg to push off of.

denthepitcher

SF Native
Righty here. I will start with either foot on the rubber and NEVER step toward the plate.
That's just distance you'll have to make up getting back to your defensive set.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
b is a righty, and he only has his right foot slighly forward if I remember correctly. I have my left foot forward. I'm not saying some of these guys are wrong, but I'd love to see the motions they're describing. I also don't step.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
RHP, left foot forward, no step. I used to step when I first started pitching a few years ago. I have been playing with having my right foot forward as opposed to left, but I'm not quite sold on it yet. I find it easier to take a few steps back and get set by not stepping forward.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
RHP, left foot forward, no step. I used to step when I first started pitching a few years ago. I have been playing with having my right foot forward as opposed to left, but I'm not quite sold on it yet. I find it easier to take a few steps back and get set by not stepping forward.

People keep saying stuff like that, and I don't see the benefit of having your non-glove hand forward on release. I did see a guy pitch like that in a church league years ago. I have no idea why he did it or how he didn't get blasted. Stepping with the same hand you're throwing with is just awkward IMO.

b#7

CAPN MORGAN
Which hand do you throw with?

I throw with my right. About a year and a half ago I had some major popping going on with my right knee while pitching with my left foot in the front which caused my second bone bruise in my right leg. I was on the shelf for about 4 months after that happened and had to change the way I pitched. Once I was able to hit, play and pitch again I started working with my right foot in the front and am way more comfortable with the motion and have become more consistent with it.

b is a righty, and he only has his right foot slighly forward if I remember correctly. I have my left foot forward. I'm not saying some of these guys are wrong, but I'd love to see the motions they're describing. I also don't step.

Yes it used to be slightly when I pitched BP. My curve works a lot better with my right foot a little more in front and off to the right side.

slick303

B(.)(.)BS
People keep saying stuff like that, and I don't see the benefit of having your non-glove hand forward on release. I did see a guy pitch like that in a church league years ago. I have no idea why he did it or how he didn't get blasted. Stepping with the same hand you're throwing with is just awkward IMO.

This is why I asked the question. Not looking for advice. I just started playing around on day and didn't find it as awkward as I thought it would be. I tent to mix it up. Step left, step right, parallel no step, right foot forward no step, left forward no step. All right throw.

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
RHT - Left foot forward always. Mostly step, sometimes still with a pump or two before release. (USSSA)

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
RHT. Left outside toe on rear 3B corner of pitching plate. No step forward. As as soon as the ball is released I'm backpedaling.

blakcherry329

I pitched modified up until last year, so I usually step when i pitch, especially deep into tournaments(the extra push with the legs help when I'm getting tired after 4 or 5 games).

I do mix it up with a no step delivery, just to give the batter a different look. I would say about 60-70% of the time i step when pitching.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes it used to be slightly when I pitched BP. My curve works a lot better with my right foot a little more in front and off to the right side.

You left out you're built like a gorilla with a 8'7" wingspan.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is why I asked the question. Not looking for advice. I just started playing around on day and didn't find it as awkward as I thought it would be. I tent to mix it up. Step left, step right, parallel no step, right foot forward no step, left forward no step. All right throw.

I do have one thing I'll do where it's like a double clutch where i step with my right. I hate faking so that's as close as i get. A lot of conference guys do itbut i don't have a vid here at my fingertips.

DFL

Addicted to Softballfans
Mix it up as much as possible unless you need to throw a automatic strike then get in your comfortable position

I pretty much switch it up constantly. Right hand thrower.

Go to would probably be step with my right leg but sometimes i feel more comfortable with left leg forward.

I feel that guys who throw the same exact way every single time get rocked.

** I pretty much only pitch UTRIP though***