Pst Guide

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
Question on PST

One a side note, how do you pull the shell off to replace shells? ...curious minds want to know. Thanks!

I have a broken frame and is trying to free the shell from the cracked
frame w/o damaging the shell.

Any help would be appreciated.

Maseco

The Rookie
PST 98 and PST 98Z

Is there anything different between PST 98 and PST 98Z bats besides years and colors? Thanks

esotericjester

Star Player
What PST's made befor 2005 are legal in ASA ? Thanks

If I remember correctly the red and black, black and gold, xtra, and recertified powder shells and vanadiums.

Is there anything different between PST 98 and PST 98Z bats besides years and colors? Thanks

It depends on who you ask. Some people will tell you that they are exactly the same and some will say that the z hits better.

Maseco

The Rookie
Thanks esotericjester... So what is your opinion?

Any other PST experts have anything to say, please?

If I had my choice to buy either NIW???

What would the value be for a PST98 NIW and the PST98Z NIW?

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
Thanks esotericjester... So what is your opinion?

Any other PST experts have anything to say, please?

If I had my choice to buy either NIW???

What would the value be for a PST98 NIW and the PST98Z NIW?

IMO the 98Z without a question. Just a guess but I would say maybe $200 for the 98 and 225 for the 98Z

Maseco

The Rookie
Thanks MarlSrSoftball and thanks again esotericjester...

I think i'm gonna go with the pst98z...
I might be wrong but what ive heard is they are pretty much the same but the pstz has a bigger sweet spot...

RamRod

Coach
Hey I have no problem if anyone wants to cut and paste or make toilet paper out of this information! :p And yes Sean, I do have pics of PSTs "strategically" placed throughout the house for alone time...... ;)

A few things about PSTs:

1) You cant give up on them after 50 cuts........takes many BP sessions to get used to the feel and also to consistently find the sweetspot.

2) They are not for everyone, but this great site allows you to buy or trade for one and try it out and if it doesnt work for you then you can trade or sell it!

3) DONT HIT THE FREAKIN TAPER!!!!!!!!!!! EVER! :eek:

Thanks to all for input on this, I wont take credit for all of it as many of you PM'd and responded on here with excellent points and information.

Kevin
what happens if u hit the taper?

stupid question: in the shell cat., what do ss/ls mean?

Legend 94

Addicted to Softballfans
If you hit the taper it will dent quite easily so don't hit it there...

SS Shell = Short Shell
LS Shell = Long Shell

longhorn21sb

Addicted to Softballfans
Vibration

Have a pst max 29 oz ls that when held by the barrel and tap on the ground it vibrates like its separated inside, does anyone know if this is fixable or what? The bat has monster pop and still has clear coat and all graphics so not really even used that much.

wes21

Copenhagen is good
my buddies does that and the thing is sick, but as far as fixin it I don't think there is anything you can do about the vibration.

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
Why did Worth never make a PST with a composite handle? Or better yet, go after the White Steel market and make a "singlewall" two-piece PST with a composite handle and write "singlewall" all over it so it'll be legal.

Joker

Why did Worth never make a PST with a composite handle? Or better yet, go after the White Steel market and make a "singlewall" two-piece PST with a composite handle and write "singlewall" all over it so it'll be legal.

the hybrid mayhem is the closest thing

Joker

But isn't Titanium ("Powder Shell", "Vanadium", "WS137", etc) > Stainless Steel > Lithium?

the PST shell definitely has better distance, but the lithium has a much bigger sweetspot and isn't too far behind

i can't say about the steel, never swung one

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
I guess I wasn't too impressed with the two regular Lithium bats I've swung. Anybody want a Revolver? Looks almost NOW. I just didn't see a composite handle making either hit anywhere close to my PST137. Right now my PST and an OG White Steel are king with my metal team. I'm going to try out a 2010 Reaper this weekend.

Joker

I guess I wasn't too impressed with the two regular Lithium bats I've swung. Anybody want a Revolver? Looks almost NOW. I just didn't see a composite handle making either hit anywhere close to my PST137. Right now my PST and an OG White Steel are king with my metal team. I'm going to try out a 2010 Reaper this weekend.

the hybrid was a little better than my OG ESTs and swung like a PST. just saying its the only composite/metal bat that worth makes. i have heard mixed reviews on the 2010 reaper

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
the hybrid was a little better than my OG ESTs and swung like a PST. just saying its the only composite/metal bat that worth makes. i have heard mixed reviews on the 2010 reaper

There's also the Hybrid EST. Might take some swings with that this weekend. The root of my original question is that you can make a million fancy alloys (nanotek, BCT, stainless steel, C555405+, etc.), but what is really missing from the market is a true Titanium bat that lasts a billion siwngs and produces when you find the sweetspot. I don't understand why they can't repackage that as an answer to the White Steel even if maybe they have issues making the natural evolution of the PST and sticking a composite handle on it to go after high end composites). Especially since the White Steel has a lot of durability issues.

Joker

There's also the Hybrid EST. Might take some swings with that this weekend. The root of my original question is that you can make a million fancy alloys (nanotek, BCT, stainless steel, C555405+, etc.), but what is really missing from the market is a true Titanium bat that lasts a billion siwngs and produces when you find the sweetspot. I don't understand why they can't repackage that as an answer to the White Steel even if maybe they have issues making the natural evolution of the PST and sticking a composite handle on it to go after high end composites). Especially since the White Steel has a lot of durability issues.

i just think the love of metals is not that big anymore. PSTs have a cult following and there are metal only leagues in places. but overall throughout the country its dominated by composites. its a better profit margin to put money into research for composite bats instead of metals. thats why the older metals of the late 90s are still better than most of the current metal bats.

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
Demarini and Anderson disagree, I image. I wonder how much profit those two companies are racking in on the $150-200 singlewalls. I'm just saying a $199.99 "singlewall" PST would eat up a lot of that market. At least as effectively as the $350 Nanotek (which ironically will cannabilze Pyrotech sales). The question is how much would that theoretic PST cost to manufacture compared to the Pyrotech and White Steel.

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
Also, why did the stupid handles always dent and get stress cracks? I thought they were CU31. That alloy is like nigh invulnerable.

wes21

Copenhagen is good
I was told by a rep from worth that the alloy used to make the PST shells increased in price by about 100%, so a new PST would be very expensive, He told me if they ever came out with another PST they would have to charge like $700 because of the cost of the materials