Question about leg press vs. squats

sirwin6

Manager
How does the weight lifts compare between leg press and squats? If you leg press 450 what does that probably equate to in squats?

crushthatball

それに愚痴を吸う
I have not seen a good coorelation between the two due to stability and torso strength variables. With a guess, maybe 75%?
I'm thinking it's even less than that. Maybe closer to 50%? It's an ego boost to stack a bunch of plates on a leg press but I think a real measure of strength would be to get under the bar for the squat.

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE
I would say regular squats would be around 35%-40% with front squats being 10%-20%. Squats are not easy but front squats are on a whole different level.

wcoastsoftball

I'm thinking it's even less than that. Maybe closer to 50%? It's an ego boost to stack a bunch of plates on a leg press but I think a real measure of strength would be to get under the bar for the squat.

You could be right, i was just basing that off my own lifting. i don't use the leg press often, I might be able to do 500#, maybe. But max squat is around 350 or slightly less.

skew12

I would say regular squats would be around 35%-40% with front squats being 10%-20%. Squats are not easy but front squats are on a whole different level.

I would agree here.

I've seen some roiders leg press some hiiiigh numbers but not have the guff to do half of that.

And I don't blame them.

sirwin6

Manager

It's not an ego boost for all of us. Some of us have a bulging disc and an unrepaired knee (torn ACL) that makes getting under a squat bar a little scary. I am just trying to get a gauge on my leg progress and every one uses squats as a basis.

Last edited:

PigInABlanket

Addicted to Softballfans
I love squats. I only use the leg press for burn out. Start with 5 plates on each side, hit for 8, cascade down...5 ,4 , 3, 2 , 1......40 reps total per set. I cant remember the name of this exercise, but my legs are jello by the time im done.

sirwin6

Manager
I would have thought a good place to start was subtracting the litters body weight as that is not being lifted in leg press as it is on squats. From there I would imagine you would have to subtract some more weight as you factor in the strength of the stabilizing muscles required in a squat.

I asked the original question to see how I am stacking up on strength gains. I am 5' 9" and weigh 182#'s. At 43 hrs old I have never done squats and for the most part ignored legs except for calves. I just did 4 sets of 5 reps at 450 and want to know if that is any good?

wcoastsoftball

I would have thought a good place to start was subtracting the litters body weight as that is not being lifted in leg press as it is on squats. From there I would imagine you would have to subtract some more weight as you factor in the strength of the stabilizing muscles required in a squat.

I asked the original question to see how I am stacking up on strength gains. I am 5' 9" and weigh 182#'s. At 43 hrs old I have never done squats and for the most part ignored legs except for calves. I just did 4 sets of 5 reps at 450 and want to know if that is any good?

When adding injury variables to the equation, it is really tough to say. I would say with the issues you say you have, those are decent numbers.

Permacatch

Relegated to 1B

That's pretty good for not even two days of age. :D

crushthatball

それに愚痴を吸う
It's not an ego boost for all of us. Some of us have a bulging disc and an unrepaired knee (torn ACL) that makes getting under a squat bar a little scary. I am just trying to get a gauge on my leg progress and every one uses squats as a basis.
seriously no disrespect.
I was just talking about myself. On the leg press I know I can do 540 for a 3 rep max, not sure 1 rep and it's 1/2 of that for me for 5 reps on low back squats. And that's with 6 weeks in on the 5x5.

Mark Rippetoe had an interesting article about novices on tnation. I'm definitely a novice at best. :(

Last edited:

sirwin6

Manager
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shannon1.htm

Found this one trying to compare the leg press and squats. Also points out the angle of the machine helps mechanically with the leg press. It also has some formulas with it. Good luck!

Thanks. It was very informative. Based on his calculation it works out to be a squat of 250. I liked his point about incorporating a combination if the leg press and a variation of a deadlift for those with back problems.

Buzzard

Addicted to Softballfans
IMO... Squats are a base exercise and Leg Press is an accesory move. You are hitting different areas all together. I'll do my regular 3X5, 3X3 or 5/3/1 squat and then hit leg press for maybe 2x20 or something.

As for injuries? You should try squatting... I know the injuries make you feel like you can't, but you'd be surprised. As of 1 year ago, I basically didn't train legs much at all because of seriously f'd up joints. I'd maybe do leg press or some light squats on the smith machine. Then I just decided if I wanted my legs to grow, I had to do squats... Now I'm squatting 550+. I was actually scared to do real squats and now I look forward to blowing them up...

sirwin6

Manager
IMO... Squats are a base exercise and Leg Press is an accesory move. You are hitting different areas all together. I'll do my regular 3X5, 3X3 or 5/3/1 squat and then hit leg press for maybe 2x20 or something.

As for injuries? You should try squatting... I know the injuries make you feel like you can't, but you'd be surprised. As of 1 year ago, I basically didn't train legs much at all because of seriously f'd up joints. I'd maybe do leg press or some light squats on the smith machine. Then I just decided if I wanted my legs to grow, I had to do squats... Now I'm squatting 550+. I was actually scared to do real squats and now I look forward to blowing them up...

I am getting to the point where I may be willing to try. I am now at the point where I can use the standing calf machine without by back hurting. I have spent the fall working on the core to strengthen it. A couple more weeks of good straight leg deadlifts and I will probably give squats a try. I am less worried about the knee then the back. I did the knee over twenty years ago and have been very active since then including indoor soccer which can be murder on the knees. I am most worried that the back gives out and the knee is unable to withstand that not the other way around.

crushthatball

それに愚痴を吸う

Up to 550 in a year? :eek:
I'm seriously slacking!

Last edited by a moderator:

crawl13

Addicted to Softballfans

not doubting you cause ive seen it done, but i would really like to see your form doing 550+. Not very many can do it with the correct form..

crushthatball

それに愚痴を吸う
not doubting you cause ive seen it done, but i would really like to see your form doing 550+. Not very many can do it with the correct form..

true...I didn't realize how bad my form was until I googled "rippetoe squats, deadlifts" on youtube.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
Make sure with concern for your back that when you do squat, form is very important. Squats are not dangerous as long as you use proper form.

In my personal experience, I am not amazing yet with squats though working on it. I squat about 350. I don't do the leg press because for one reason I spend too much time stacking on the weights. It's not even close to my squat numbers. I'm not currently dealing with any kind of injury though.

crawl13

Addicted to Softballfans
Make sure with concern for your back that when you do squat, form is very important. Squats are not dangerous as long as you use proper form.

In my personal experience, I am not amazing yet with squats though working on it. I squat about 350. I don't do the leg press because for one reason I spend too much time stacking on the weights. It's not even close to my squat numbers. I'm not currently dealing with any kind of injury though.

im right around 350-375. I do leg presses on deadlift days. i feel my squat form is good and my deadlift is getting there but still needs work

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
im right around 350-375. I do leg presses on deadlift days. i feel my squat form is good and my deadlift is getting there but still needs work

We all have our opinions but my opinion is that I would rather do exercises that use more muscles and are more of what I would call functional unless I need to isolate something. I don't feel like the leg press isolates anything useful for me. If it's working for you though, then that's cool.

sirwin6

Manager
We all have our opinions but my opinion is that I would rather do exercises that use more muscles and are more of what I would call functional unless I need to isolate something. I don't feel like the leg press isolates anything useful for me. If it's working for you though, then that's cool.

I understand your point about functionality but I think lev press is a functional exercise for quads. It is more isolated then squats so is not as functional for the lower back, shoulders and hips. Like I said above I may work my way to squats. I may also try to incorporate some other exercises that work the muscles I am missing by not doing squats. I know there have been gains in the size of my legs since I starting working them.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I understand your point about functionality but I think lev press is a functional exercise for quads. It is more isolated then squats so is not as functional for the lower back, shoulders and hips. Like I said above I may work my way to squats. I may also try to incorporate some other exercises that work the muscles I am missing by not doing squats. I know there have been gains in the size of my legs since I starting working them.
Have you tried walking lunges and reverse lunges? Both are easy on the back and more functional than a leg press.

sirwin6

Manager
Have you tried walking lunges and reverse lunges? Both are easy on the back and more functional than a leg press.

I am about to through Bulgarian split squats back into the mix just to change it up. Especially now that I have built up my grip strength a little. Those things kill.