Questions for those who have used The Centenarian and The Ambush

blackthidot

Addicted to Softballfans
Which bat performed better in terms of distance, and durability...throw sweet spot in there as well.

My Centenarian is running on 2 seasons now and I am looking to get a new bat. The Cent has just murdered the ball.

Only reason I am looking at something new is because of all the hype surrounding the Ambush (mostly by the people selling it)

I did a quick search on my phone in this thread and did not come up with anything so to all you sensitive guys...I am weawwy sowwy if this is a double post.

BruceinGa

always online
I've had both. This spring I was using a 30oz fl black Centenarian and a 300z 10" fl MM Combat. I bought a 28oz Ambush just to see what the hype was. At bp on a 315' fence I was clearing the fence by just a little when using the MM and the black Cent. I pulled out the Ambush and was probably hitting it about 40' further. The problem was that it broke after about 100 swings. Just to be honest, I don't know if the extra distance was because of a better bat or because it was a 28oz vs 30oz bats. Maybe I'm just getting older! :).
As for it breaking, I talked to Alan Tanner briefly in Dalton and he said that he thinks they have fixed the durability problem.
About 3 months ago I bought a 28oz fl black Centenarian and love it. Since then I bought two white Centenarians, both 28's. Once I recover from my up coming acl surgery I will be able to swing again.

blackthidot

Addicted to Softballfans
I've had both. This spring I was using a 30oz fl black Centenarian and a 300z 10" fl MM Combat. I bought a 28oz Ambush just to see what the hype was. At bp on a 315' fence I was clearing the fence by just a little when using the MM and the black Cent. I pulled out the Ambush and was probably hitting it about 40' further. The problem was that it broke after about 100 swings. Just to be honest, I don't know if the extra distance was because of a better bat or because it was a 28oz vs 30oz bats. Maybe I'm just getting older! :).
As for it breaking, I talked to Alan Tanner briefly in Dalton and he said that he thinks they have fixed the durability problem.
About 3 months ago I bought a 28oz fl black Centenarian and love it. Since then I bought two white Centenarians, both 28's. Once I recover from my up coming acl surgery I will be able to swing again.

Thanks for the info!

floo56

Addicted to Softballfans
No hype at all the Ambush is a good/fun bat to swing! Just check how many people you see selling their's! Used it in Vegas last year and had a blast with it! Aloha, Fabe

ju25

Addicted to Softballfans
For me, both my black & white Centenarians outhit my Ambush. Maybe I got a bad one , but my buddy bought an Ambush and ended up selling it. If you are hitting well with the Centenarian stick with it. Good bargains on the Centenarians as well.

bigcat21

THE OFFICIAL SBF SALSERO
I have swung all three Sr. Combat of late.. the issues with them is the durability.. however, when it comes to POP and DISTANT I rate them this way.. :D
1.AMBUSH
2.BLACK Centenarian
3.WHITE Centenarian

BTW... the White Centenarian is going for $110.... in the web ;)

War Chief

Addicted to Softballfans
Just so I understand, what did Alan do to fix the problem. Did Combat make a new batch of bats. Was thinking of buying one but how do we know they fixed it.... I am pretty sure they make the bats in batches or runs. Is the latest Ambush a new run? If so that is good...

War Chief
Geronimo!

BruceinGa

always online
Just so I understand, what did Alan do to fix the problem. Did Combat make a new batch of bats. Was thinking of buying one but how do we know they fixed it.... I am pretty sure they make the bats in batches or runs. Is the latest Ambush a new run? If so that is good...

War Chief
Geronimo!

He didn't elaborate.

lefty8

Coach
My Ambush doesn't out hit my centenarian but it's not a 28oz. It's a 27oz. I got it for 125.00 from one of my team mates. He didn't like it but he didn't wait long enough for he only put 50 or cuts with it. I jumped on it for that prise an glad I did.

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
I have an Ambush and three black Centenarians, all 27 oz FL. I honestly can't tell the difference. That being said, I have had my two best hitting tournaments ever using the Ambush (and a couple not-so-good). If there is a durability issue with the Ambush, it hasn't revealed itself to me. I have more Centenarians because they can periodically be had for a better price.

jbar2845

Officer Friendly
I like my Ambush. It hangs right with my OG U2 as far as distance...exit speed and sweet spot I give a slight advantage to the OG U2. I use the Ambush for league games, and only break out the U2 in playoffs and whatever tourneys allow them. I only hit the SB12's in my leagues as well.

I have not used the Cent....

Jimmy34

Board Prick
I just had BP with some 50+ guys, hopefully my new team come Oct/Nov (Florida Clutch) and they had tons of senior bats...I had a NOW Silver and Green Ambush and it was OK, I thought it was stiff and no better than my gamer Blackout...then I took a few swings with one that was used a lot, BIG difference...I also took a few with a black Centarian and that was used also, really good bat, as good as the used Ambush...I also swung a balanced Reebok melee and hated the weighting...

floo56

Addicted to Softballfans
No one bat is for everyone...the Ambush fits my swing and when it is game ready very fun to swing! I agree with the weight and the sound of the Reebok not what I desire! Aloha, Fabe

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
I have two black Centenarians (28 & 30 FL) - not really a Bombs away bat...some swings get distance but not as many as the gray or the red 10" (awesome bombs away bat - for me anyway)......I have not had a chance to swing the Ambush or the Dirty (would love to) but cannot say I was overly impressed with the black C's........seem durable though.....

If - as planned I head back in Feb to RV for a couple of months then I'll BP in whichever state I'm in at the time a test drive some new bats (probably bring 6 or so back - new toys)....

Bruce is a bomber along with being a productive hitter - and a good hitting technician (his knees suck though - LOL) but - I'd go to the bank on what information he has to impart.

Most of the guys I've played with are HOF's - There are maybe 25-35 guys across the nation I really pay attention too - Bruce is one of them.....

Last edited:

BruceinGa

always online
Bruce is a bomber along with being a productive hitter - and a good hitting technician (his knees suck though - LOL) but - I'd go to the bank on what information he has to impart.

Most of the guys I've played with are HOF's - There are maybe 25-35 guys across the nation I really pay attention too - Bruce is one of them.....

What, you trying to give me the big head?? (thanks)
btw, I'm walking now, sort of. I'll start physical therapy next week. Hope to see you soon.

Kipg1960

Extra Hitter
I have hit the Reebok (hot, but fragile) Ultra II (same) Ultra II 2 piece (stiff) Cents both white and black (durable but hard to break in and in my opinion no pop)
I went to the Ambush last year and it is by far the best combo of durability and pop. It takes about 50-75 hits to properly break in but afterwards, it sounds like a bat should when you hit the ball and performs on a line with the hottest senior bats. I dont think everyone has the patience to break it in properly as we all like that "hot out of the wrapper" feel, then scrap it after 50 hits because it hasn't opened up yet. I have heard very few complaints about durability or performance regarding this bat. Hey, everyone has their preference and this is the one I choose to go to war with at tournaments.

Jimmy34

Board Prick
I have hit the Reebok (hot, but fragile) Ultra II (same) Ultra II 2 piece (stiff) Cents both white and black (durable but hard to break in and in my opinion no pop)
I went to the Ambush last year and it is by far the best combo of durability and pop. It takes about 50-75 hits to properly break in but afterwards, it sounds like a bat should when you hit the ball and performs on a line with the hottest senior bats. I dont think everyone has the patience to break it in properly as we all like that "hot out of the wrapper" feel, then scrap it after 50 hits because it hasn't opened up yet. I have heard very few complaints about durability or performance regarding this bat. Hey, everyone has their preference and this is the one I choose to go to war with at tournaments.

Except Kip won't let anyone take BP with his broken in Ambush!!! :D

HITTS

I love my ambush. The feel of the swing, contact with ball and the pop. But i found something new & can't put it down, the Fossil one piece by Monsta Atletic.xit is worth the look.