ASA Runner picks up ball while off base

blackbeasst

Addicted to Softballfans
Runner first and second, fly ball to right, runner at second tags, ball coming in to third hits runner of back of leg buts stays in play. Said runner then steps off third to pick up the ball and spikes it down in anger cause he had just gotten hit.

No time or dead ball was ever called. What's the call?

beernbombs

Abby's dad
Out only if that action interfered with defense making a play. I'm probably just calling dead ball at the point runner picks up ball. It really depends on what is going on with the runner from first.

blackbeasst

Addicted to Softballfans
Runner from first moved up to second at the time the ball hit the runner and him picking it up. Umps talked and moved him back to first but allowed runner to stay at third.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Runner from first moved up to second at the time the ball hit the runner and him picking it up. Umps talked and moved him back to first but allowed runner to stay at third.

If the runner from first was off of his base and attempting to advance to second, AND if the defense actually had a remote chance at getting him out, then we'd have a dead ball, the runner on third is out, and the runner from first is returned to first.

Runner on third is also reminded to grow the **** up and stop the childish tantrums.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
Agreed - if this is a live ball there is no reason the runner should be picking up the ball. "Dead ball - You are out sir!"

dmac44

Addicted to Softballfans
If the runner from first was off of his base and attempting to advance to second, AND if the defense actually had a remote chance at getting him out, then we'd have a dead ball, the runner on third is out, and the runner from first is returned to first.

Runner on third is also reminded to grow the **** up and stop the childish tantrums.

BINGO. Good game management, but still good implementation of the rules.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Agreed - if this is a live ball there is no reason the runner should be picking up the ball. "Dead ball - You are out sir!"

ONLY if interference actually occurred. If the runner on first was staying put, the runner didn't do anything to hinder the defense.

Not saying I'd let it slide (I sure as hell wouldn't), only saying that you can't call someone out for being a douche.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
ONLY if interference actually occurred. If the runner on first was staying put, the runner didn't do anything to hinder the defense.

Not saying I'd let it slide (I sure as hell wouldn't), only saying that you can't call someone out for being a douche.

This would make softball more entertaining IMO

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....

The runner picking up the ball essentially puts himself in the way of the defense making a play on the ball. If he is off the base, they would not have the ability to make an out on the runner that is actually holding the ball. That seems to be hindering the defense whether there is anyone else on base or not.

I have an out and a dead ball. If there happens to be another runner on base, they would go back.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
The runner picking up the ball essentially puts himself in the way of the defense making a play on the ball. If he is off the base, they would not have the ability to make an out on the runner that is actually holding the ball. That seems to be hindering the defense whether there is anyone else on base or not.

I have an out and a dead ball. If there happens to be another runner on base, they would go back.

I'm pretty sure that interference requires the offensive team interfering with the defenses ability to make an out. If the runner on first is standing on first and not moving there is no runner in jeopardy of being put out.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

Well, yeah, you can. :)

In most cases, this is going to be INT as long as there is an active runner.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm pretty sure that interference requires the offensive team interfering with the defenses ability to make an out. If the runner on first is standing on first and not moving there is no runner in jeopardy of being put out.

What about the runner who is off the base holding the ball? It prevents the defense from making a play on him.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
What about the runner who is off the base holding the ball? It prevents the defense from making a play on him.

That is exactly what I am saying. If I am off the base and holding the ball, my action of holding the ball is impeding the defense from making an out.

Ive got an out and a dead ball..

sjury

The Old Man

How many teams would have to forfeit in the second inning if this was true????

But I agree, IF there was interference, then out.

Runner first and second, fly ball to right, runner at second tags, ball coming in to third hits runner of back of leg buts stays in play. Said runner then steps off third to pick up the ball and spikes it down in anger cause he had just gotten hit.

No time or dead ball was ever called. What's the call?

Runner on third is out and sent back to volleyball camp

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
If the throw was coming to third you would assume someone was there to catch it, at least be somewhat close.

blackbeasst

Addicted to Softballfans
If the throw was coming to third you would assume someone was there to catch it, at least be somewhat close.

correct. the 3b was stating there waiting to apply the tag had the throw been better. it just happen to hit him square on the back of the leg and roll far enough away the runner leaned off to get it, coming off the bag, and thrown it back down in anger.