Senior bats

jhitman

Did you see SSUSA's new rule? Bats must have SSUSA 1.21 bpf. That means ASA and USSSA bats illegal in that association.
My Nightmares are also illegal now since it says Senior Softball World Championship.
Thanks Bruce. I did not see this. I will be on alert before I make a senior bat purchase.

blakcherry329

Ok, sooooooo, I didn't realize that this is an alloy bat, Like a Steel.o_O:D It swings and hits like a Steel, for sure. I hit at Lefty's in Clifton, NJ. 70/85mph baseballs(dimpled). 3 rounds at each speed. It didn't take long to get used to the end-load(probably because I practice with that Torpedo with a mid-weight so it swings about 50oz or so). It feels nice in the cages. I played a DH on Sunday, got 6abs. Bat has nice pop with the clinchers. I hit like crap, but the bat felt nice. Not the bat's fault. lol
Definitely going to be my go to for practice and my winter pickup games. I put it on par with the Steels, so far. IF you are looking for a bp bat and you like a max end-load, I definitely recommend this for $50.

hV7zqJM.jpg

blakcherry329

It doesn't sound like a composite bat, especially because of it being a multi-wall bat. The description on Amazon is aluminum. It definitely sounds and feels like a Steel, not like the usual Easton multiwall composites that sound like the OG ASA Z-1000s.

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
Those "technical details" at the bottom of amazon ads are always "suspect". :rolleyes: It's "click click click" as fast as you can to fill in blanks by the person listing the item by that time.
From the rawlings-easton website;

easton.rawlings.com/product/SP23BHSL.html

scroll to bottom and note ......
Construction 2-Piece Composite

Someone did ask the question if it was composite. but amazon in their infinite wisdom, doesn't let you see Q&As unless you search for a key word, like "composite"

One person who wrote a review did mention the sound and said it changed at about 200 hits

n/c ;)

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
a little bit ago I posted question on the amazon ad asking the material and have already received 3 replies, including one from the seller, stating it is indeed composite.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
It’s composite, I unwrapped mine and hit 100 44’s and classic ms off a tee in my garage today and it had a lot of loud cracks sounds, doesn’t sound like a steel, but I will say your spot on about it feeling like a steel, endload is massive, most I ever swung, I regripped it to verify it has a composite handle, btw the worst grip ever to remove, the triple wall barrel does have me intrigued, maybe why such a huge endload, I’m sure it doesn’t have any gap tech like an asa since it is designed for 44 senior balls, I want to cut one open to see inside lol, the ss felt small, out towards the end in the “to” area, that’s where I got the most crack sounds, every well else it did have a different sound, softish pillowy sound from time to time, probably just the balls or lack of sweet spot, I did hit a couple of 52’s and got that same kind of sound even on the sweet spot, it was hard for me to swing, I had to adjust my swing because of the endload, it’s a log and I will give it a ton of bp hits to see if it opens up more, it very much reminds me of bats 10 years ago where you have to put in the work to make them game ready, I’m used to these newer asa bats hot out of the wrapper,

blakcherry329

It’s composite, I unwrapped mine and hit 100 44’s and classic ms off a tee in my garage today and it had a lot of loud cracks sounds, doesn’t sound like a steel, but I will say your spot on about it feeling like a steel, endload is massive, most I ever swung, I regripped it to verify it has a composite handle, btw the worst grip ever to remove, the triple wall barrel does have me intrigued, maybe why such a huge endload, I’m sure it doesn’t have any gap tech like an asa since it is designed for 44 senior balls, I want to cut one open to see inside lol, the ss felt small, out towards the end in the “to” area, that’s where I got the most crack sounds, every well else it did have a different sound, softish pillowy sound from time to time, probably just the balls or lack of sweet spot, I did hit a couple of 52’s and got that same kind of sound even on the sweet spot, it was hard for me to swing, I had to adjust my swing because of the endload, it’s a log and I will give it a ton of bp hits to see if it opens up more, it very much reminds me of bats 10 years ago where you have to put in the work to make them game ready, I’m used to these newer asa bats hot out of the wrapper,
I thought it was a comp, but my friend pointed out the description on Amazon(which I didn't think to check, cuz why would I, but I digress). I also thought it was kinda strange that Easton would make a Senior metal bat. I was a little disappointed, glad that's not the case. I didn't need another bat, but $50 was too good to pass up. Having said that, I wouldn't have bought it if it was aluminum.
I haven't hit anything but dimpled cage baseballs and F12 Clinchers, so it may take a bit for the sound to change. Maybe I was expecting more of a crack sounds, since it's an Easton multiwall design? IDK. I've put about 100 swings on it with cage baseballs, it'll probably take about another 2-300 to make a difference. ;) This will be my bp bat from now on. I'm intrigued about the sound now. lol

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
seems nowadays "endload" has no consistent meaning. Back in the day, a Reebok, Adidas or Combat "endloaded" bat would balance fairly constantly at about 21" out from the knob, which is what I prefer (no digital scales needed, just balance on your finger, eyeball and measure).
The recent bats getting all the press seem to go way past this. If you can get the barrel around, fine, but I can't. (I swing 27oz endloaded Adidas that balance at 21")
A friend who bought this Helmer says it measures a tad greater than 22", which would feel like a total sledgehammer to me.
IF I was going to get one of these, I think I would drop down an oz and add weight to the knob to balance it out a tad (some knob cuffs are 0.8 oz alone)
And while I'm on the "endload" rant.....saying a bat has 1/4oz, 1/2oz or full oz endload is like the camshaft ads in the 70s that claimed the camshaft was a 1/4 race, 1/2 race or full race cam. It doesn't tell the story w/o the numbers ......it's marketeering. How a bat feels in your hands, is all about the actual balance point.

blakcherry329

Put another hundred swings on it. It feels great in the cages cuz I'm swinging a 50oz weight to get loose. In a game it still swings like a sledgehammer and I don't really put good cuts together until the second game, so far.
I do like the feel as a bp bat. I don't swing balanced bats unless they're over 28oz, so it's all good.
Haven't really felt the bat "change" yet, but it feels nice.

blakcherry329

Another hundred or so cuts. I really like the feel of the bat now. Should be opening up now. I don't notice a significant change in sound, but there is a bit of a difference.
Feels good in games, still haven't hit too many solid ones, but that's a me problem. LOL
Next time I'll post a video...you've been warned. lol