Senior softball is fun but

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
So I just turned 40, played my first couple of senor tournaments and gotta says it a lot of fun. First off its nice to be the young fast guy again, hitting is crazy the ball/bat combo is insane. I have a monsta fossil and a Dudley Lightning holy crap combine those with the rock hard balls and the ball go far and those line drives get through the infield fast. While its fun to feel like a masher again I still gotta say I think the idea of 40 year olds swinging senor bats is crazy. At 40 the bat speed isn't declining as fast as the reflexes. Last tourney our pitcher got hit in the forarm and they asked me if I wanted to pitch since I've pitched a lot of USSSA. Only got 1 middle shot and I fielded it but wow the ball come back really fast, its like facing conference players in standard USSSA. While its fun and I'll continue to play it seems like letting 40 year olds swing such crazy hot bats is asking for people to get hurt.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to be fifty around here to play senior, and I still agree that senior bats and 44/375 balls sounds like to much. They're not much hotter than utrip anymore though.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I hate the 52/300 ball it so freakin bouncy and far to many bad hops at my face so I'm not a fan of that plan. I've had a number of hot USSSA bats, the red knob DC41 after 1000 swings is nasty. Hitting classic Ms the senor bats are significantly hotter. I've been wearing my pitchers mask playing infield and I bought some motocross shin/knee guards for pitching. I am still having fun but it seems like a recipe for someone to get seriously hurt.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Have to be 53 to play seniors league here at 53 singlewall aluminum only, I believe at 65 doublewall aluminum can be used 70 and over can use whatever they want.. agreed with above statements, 40 year old allowed to use senior bat and hard ball is a recipe for disaster

Dogue

Evil Genius
Yeah, 40 is too young to swing the seniors IMO. We allow 47 and up to play senior league but they can't swing the senior bats til they're 50th birthday year.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Most 50 plus are 44 or 40 COR and single wall one piece around me. Would rather use a clincher and at leat two piece single wall (composite handles) or some double walls. The bats suck, only the older one dont dent and cant use pre ASA certified bats. Most guys buy Eastons and dent them. I swing my Nanotek, a One Cryo and a V12 Easton thats decent. Would love to use some of my RTs but noooo. Lets use a hard ball and ****ty bats

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'm 37 and I feel that 40 is a decade too young to allow guys to swing senior bats. A good hitter at 40 will still have most (if not all) of the batspeed from years ago. Senior bats and .44 375 balls is a lethal duo.

IMO, any division(s) between 40 and 50 years old should have to use classic + or some other .52 300 ball. That or not be allowed to use senior bats until you're 50. I know a lot of guys who are in their mid 40s and still mash the ball as well as they did a decade and a half prior. Bat speed is generally the last thing to go.

In fact, senior bats and hard balls doesn't even sound like fun. I hope the pitchers in those leagues armor up well.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Most 50 plus are 44 or 40 COR and single wall one piece around me. Would rather use a clincher and at leat two piece single wall (composite handles) or some double walls. The bats suck, only the older one dont dent and cant use pre ASA certified bats. Most guys buy Eastons and dent them. I swing my Nanotek, a One Cryo and a V12 Easton thats decent. Would love to use some of my RTs but noooo. Lets use a hard ball and ****ty bats

Yeah, I'd almost rather use a good bat and a crappy ball. Hard balls and singlewall aluminum is a dumb combo. All that happens is you end up denting a half dozen bats a year.

At least with composites and mush balls you won't wreck any bats easily.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I'm 37 and I feel that 40 is a decade too young to allow guys to swing senior bats. A good hitter at 40 will still have most (if not all) of the batspeed from years ago. Senior bats and .44 375 balls is a lethal duo.

IMO, any division(s) between 40 and 50 years old should have to use classic + or some other .52 300 ball. That or not be allowed to use senior bats until you're 50. I know a lot of guys who are in their mid 40s and still mash the ball as well as they did a decade and a half prior. Bat speed is generally the last thing to go.

In fact, senior bats and hard balls doesn't even sound like fun. I hope the pitchers in those leagues armor up well.

Its senor tournies not league but yeah pitchers are pretty armored up. Everyone wears a full mask, most wear shin guards too, if I could find a chest protector that didn't hinder my ability to move I'd wear one too.

They give each team 8 home runs and max of 5 runs per inning until the last inning which is open. Strike zone is 6 to 12 I think the idea is they think most people will swing up and the higher arc gives the pitcher more time to backpedal. Still is seems like 40 is to early to let guys swing senor bats.

MPT23

Putting on the foil
Senior league here in southern oregon is 45+ and we hit a tattoo 52/300 on 300 ft. fields. No lack of homeruns. Tournies are nor cal sanctioned and we hit a baden fire 44/375. **** gets crazy.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Yeah, I'd almost rather use a good bat and a crappy ball. Hard balls and singlewall aluminum is a dumb combo. All that happens is you end up denting a half dozen bats a year.

At least with composites and mush balls you won't wreck any bats easily.

Yea like I said composite handle single walls or double walls would be great

1STUNNA

Addicted to Softballfans
Yea like I said composite handle single walls or double walls would be great

Been playing 40+ ball for 8 years and have not witnessed any major injuries swinging senior bats with hard balls. Most players in this age group have played ball for several years and know how to hit so the targeting aspect for the most part is a non issue.
In the late 90’s early 2000’s we were hitting 47’s with ultras and synergies which to me is about the same velocity as what senior bats and 44’s produce now so In essence most players in that age group are familiar with the speed of the ball.
If you still play ball with the younger guys you will see some ridiculous exit speed from the bats made these days. Some of these bats have been altered so I think if safety is a concern the focus should be on the younger than 40’s group.

Redsfan

I live in central Ohio and I think all our Senior leagues are 50+. There is a big difference between most 40 year olds and most 50 year olds. 40+ should not be Senior in my opinion. I'm 47 and am probably in better shape than most of the 20 somethings on my team. I know how hard I can still hit a ball with a USSSA bat. I don't see any reason to have hotter bats to hit at people that have worse reflexes because they are older. If you can't hit one out, go to the gym or take some more BP.

1STUNNA

Addicted to Softballfans
I live in central Ohio and I think all our Senior leagues are 50+. There is a big difference between most 40 year olds and most 50 year olds. 40+ should not be Senior in my opinion. I'm 47 and am probably in better shape than most of the 20 somethings on my team. I know how hard I can still hit a ball with a USSSA bat. I don't see any reason to have hotter bats to hit at people that have worse reflexes because they are older. If you can't hit one out, go to the gym or take some more BP.

40’s ball will continue to increase due to the profit margin increase in senior ball and bat companies selling more senior bats.

SparksNVBaller

Gray Beard Ball PLayer
Look everyone an A$$hole. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Redsfan

Look everyone an A$$hole. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Wasn't being an a$$hole. I just don't see the reason to get hotter bats and balls because you get older. No need to injure slower reacting players because you want to feel 20 again with a super hot bat. Accept you can't hit it 350 anymore or if you want to still hit like that work to improve yourself instead of trying to buy talent.

Country469

your logic is 100% correct reds fan. if anything the game should slow down. for safety and for keeping the integrity of the game. But instead they don't want the original game as they played 20 years ago, they want the fast game.

You wanna know whats super ****ing lame? Limiting runs per inning

Country469

If you still play ball with the younger guys you will see some ridiculous exit speed from the bats made these days. Some of these bats have been altered so I think if safety is a concern the focus should be on the younger than 40’s group.

The young guys use a much safer ball 1
test bats far more 2
AND HAVE FAR BETTER REACTION TIMES AND DEFENSE

but then again they also didnt need to change the BPF of their bats like yall older ones did huh

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^^^^^^^^^
Hey get off my property, I like things the old fashioned way with 4 fingered gloves, wood bats, long polyester pants and shirts and only Gus the big fat 260 catcher could hit a ball 270ft!:rolleyes:. Here is an amazing statistic- there are millions of innings a year played by guys in their 40's and 50's with senior equipment and somehow everyone has survived;). To the guys who want to set up "safety" committees and make things like they were 30 years ago- go play something else. Somehow there are thousands of people who enjoy the game as is and don't need your repressed opinions on how to play the game.

Country469

I guess because I can still run, throw, and catch over 30 that puts me in like the top .5% of softball............but while you joke about **** above, the game has actually devolved into a hitting derby where its all bat and ball and zero skill. Its not even a safety thing, its a too ****ing easy and boring thing. So yeah, you can have it the easy way, and feel good about it. But know there are kids 150 lbs with zero skill doing the same thing. If thats your idea of softball, have at it.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
I am just about to turn 50 and still hang with the youg'ins. I don't understand 40 yro playing with sr bats playing against anybody but other 40 yro's...or anybody for that matter. Sr league should be 50+, period...and even then, some still shouldn't be swinging sr's.

Country469

Somehow there are thousands of people who enjoy the game as is and don't need your repressed opinions on how to play the game.

we're at the golf course now

the rest of yall are still out there thanking God the ones with talent quit already or play Major plus lol

Country469

This gator dude literally just spelled out he couldn't cut it in yesteryear and needed equip to be able to do ****, lol.

1STUNNA

Addicted to Softballfans
The young guys use a much safer ball 1
test bats far more 2
AND HAVE FAR BETTER REACTION TIMES AND DEFENSE

but then again they also didnt need to change the BPF of their bats like yall older ones did huh

1. Unless you talking about a 52 most balls will still hurt you when it hits you
2. Never had a bat tested in 40’s so as far your statement I can’t speak on it. I do know the history of why bats are tested being older I lived it (players dying from hit balls, extreme injurious to the face and chest, etc)
3. Youth does not always trump experience. I have seen younger guys with great reaction time but can’t read a ball coming off the bat or dirt so I disagree with your statement.
4. Softball changed due to associations changing the rules and toning down the exit speeds and softer balls which was the catalyst to bat shaving and painted bats

1STUNNA

Addicted to Softballfans
so its just en ego thing to need better equipment then, got it
Not sure how you got “ego” out of what I posted. Do you swing aluminum, wooden, or composite bats? If your answer is composite it means you must have an ego issue like everyone else that swings composite bats?

Country469

1. the 52 will still hurt you, just does 1/3 the damage.
2. Go back to wood or metal or whatever, or figure out the BBCOR baseball standard. They are simply too good man. When everyone on the team can hit hrs and they can end an inning on accident, the game has been perverted by equip. No wonder the game is dying on national level.
3. There are exceptions to every rules but I'll take a 25 year old reaction over 45 or 55 every single time and let the few % points chance Im wrong hang out there.
4. Exit speeds have been about the same or better for the past 10-12 years realistically speaking. I got to be a part of ASA data testing and such that led to the advent of the 52, yes cheating was a factor, but you can still cheat today, it just costs more to do so.

1STUNNA

Addicted to Softballfans
we're at the golf course now

the rest of yall are still out there thanking God the ones with talent quit already or play Major plus lol
So are you using clubs from the 70’s or the latest and greatest technology on the market?

Country469

Not sure how you got “ego” out of what I posted. Do you swing aluminum, wooden, or composite bats? If your answer is composite it means you must have an ego issue like everyone else that swings composite bats?

I don't play senior ball #1 so what I swing is irrelevant, but yeah for league we play metal only and its great. I attend any an all wood bat outings I can (own 2 evil bambooms)

And bro, if you know how to hit, you know hot to hit. You dont need a fire stick. If 22 guys play with a piece of rebar, the best hitters will still be the best hitters. Its the stupid ass equip that makes everyone good, and thats because guys can't take being a singles hitter, all ego. If it wasn't ego why would good hitters want bats that ruin their advantage?