Settle a bet for me

tattt3

Coach
have competed and won the longhorn open in my class in 06 and 09 pinched nerve and bulged disc kept me from it last year
bench 430 1x
squat 485 1x
dead 590 1x
will be competing again this year in oct and im hoping to better all these #'s as i had to take a year off i am hoping my body has had its oppo to rest and rehabilitate

ohhh my body weight is 203 right now

jt7

Addicted to Softballfans
No problem. It's just that the way your initial statement was worded made it seem like no-one 160 lbs or less could meet or exceed the 1200 lb mark (which actually is not that spectacular of a total).
Here's a quick rule of thumb we've used for years in competitive powerlifting:
Elite lifters will hit (or come close to) 3 x (or more) their body weight in the squat and deadlift. Some will hit that mark on bench as well. This is world class stuff.
For nationals competition, a lifter should be looking at twice his body weight as a goal for competing.
If you are looking to go elite, one normally looks to gain in increments of 2 x body wt, 2.25 x body wt 2.5 x body wt, etc.
A male in good physical condition should be able to bench his body weight, squat 1.25 his body weight, and deadlift 1.25-1.50 his body weight.
None of this is written in stone, but pretty much a guideline for people training with powerlifting in mind.

ok well were on the same page, im no powerlifter but i have been lifting for about 12-13 years mostly train bodybuilder style but used to focus on the three lifts in discussion

cobraklr96

Swings the best- STADIUMS
BW 225

Bench-450 with wrist wraps
Squat-605 with knee wraps and belt
Dead-575 With a belt, have a hard time with these my form is prolly the suck

Burger1976

Banned User
Until tonight I hadn't done a deadlift in over 5 years (other than demonstrating technique to clients) I did one rep of 275, then 315, then 365, then 405

I weighed 148 this morning

Burger1976

Banned User
I haven't done a 1 rep max on bench yet and probably won't because I always like to back off chest exercises during softball season. Here are a couple of sets of my last two chest workouts last Friday and today.

gorillaboy55

Addicted to Softballfans
average serious lifterdoesnt mean anything its all about the body weight. A guy who weighs 160 should never be compared to a guy who weighs 240. i personally go about 230 now and would have no problem hitting 1,200but a guy who weighs 160 could be extremely serious but never touch that.

this makes no sence at all...my buddy brian schwab is the #1 148lb lifter in the world he just hit 815 sq/ 605 bench/ 650 deadlift....tony conyers lifts in the 165 lb 900 sq/ upper 500 bench/ 650 dl

gorillaboy55

Addicted to Softballfans
Until tonight I hadn't done a deadlift in over 5 years (other than demonstrating technique to clients) I did one rep of 275, then 315, then 365, then 405

I weighed 148 this morning

you "teach" this tecnique? are most of your clients injured? your form is awful

Freak22

Addicted to Softballfans

Actually none of his clients are injured and he does a great job of motivating. As a current client if I did everything he said, I would be in the best shape of my life. Where are your videos of your work outs?

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Actually none of his clients are injured and he does a great job of motivating. As a current client if I did everything he said, I would be in the best shape of my life. Where are your videos of your work outs?

Just because he's a trainer and he motivates well doesn't mean he can't have bad form on a particular exercise. I'll give him some credit since he said he hasn't deadlifted in years, but it doesn't take away from it not being what you would ideally want to be doing during that lift. Lifting in terrible shoes for deadlifting could also be why his form is off.

jneff24

Addicted to Softballfans
Form definately isn't "terrible". Perfect? Maybe not. It is better than 90% of the donks I see pulling deads at my gym.

Haters in this thread

Burger1976

Banned User

I'll agree my technique was off when I went for a one rep max yesterday. I actually thought about not posting it because of my form in the 405 lift.

When I show technique to a client I'm only lifting between 18 lbs (body bar) to 135 lbs, in which case my form is perfect.

If a client's technique is compromised even a little and they are compensating in any way I stop them in any exercise.

Yesterday is a total case of "Do as I say, not as I just did" :eek:

DSNuts48

Badass

lol guy, motivating isn't anything if you're setting up your clients for injury.

Form definately isn't "terrible". Perfect? Maybe not. It is better than 90% of the donks I see pulling deads at my gym.

Haters in this thread

90% of those donks aren't teaching other people. I'm drinking haterade.

I'll agree my technique was off when I went for a one rep max yesterday. I actually thought about not posting it because of my form in the 405 lift.

When I show technique to a client I'm only lifting between 18 lbs (body bar) to 135 lbs, in which case my form is perfect.

If a client's technique is compromised even a little and they are compensating in any way I stop them in any exercise.

Yesterday is a total case of "Do as I say, not as I just did" :eek:

At least you admitted something was wrong. I stay away from heavy dead lifts right now because I need to work on form, and same with squat.

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
When lifting heavy deadlifts....form is going to slip......its a raw power exercise.

Last edited by a moderator:

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA
Bench-best I ever did was 330 twice, but don't lift like that anymore
Squat - never tried
Deadlift- never tried

I was 200lbs then.

I can however do

85 legit push ups/ 80 legit situps with 5 minute rest between each
and run 2 miles in 14mins.

@ 45

Untraceable

You wanna party?
wow guys, I expected to see some horrible deadlift. Nothing wrong with that lift. Of course form breaks down, thats why its your max. If I were to start critiquing that DL I'd say, Nice lift, try to get the bar in closer as you start. and thats it. Nice guns bro

Untraceable

You wanna party?
here is one of my training partners pulling 804 raw. please tell him thats a **** DL cause his form wasnt perfect

Last edited by a moderator:

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
wow guys, I expected to see some horrible deadlift. Nothing wrong with that lift. Of course form breaks down, thats why its your max. If I were to start critiquing that DL I'd say, Nice lift, try to get the bar in closer as you start. and thats it. Nice guns bro

You're right. It wasn't terrible. I'm sure I have some rounding at my max.

jt7

Addicted to Softballfans
this makes no sence at all...my buddy brian schwab is the #1 148lb lifter in the world he just hit 815 sq/ 605 bench/ 650 deadlift....tony conyers lifts in the 165 lb 900 sq/ upper 500 bench/ 650 dl

once again i will defend this same quote, i was not saying that small guys couldnt do it! i was simply saying that a small guy who couldnt do it could still take lifting serious and not achieve that. and also im pretty sure were not talking about competitive powerlifting numbers as this is a softball forum