"Sorry Pitch"

blakcherry329

i got blown up in the shins 3 times in a game pitching. Started taking shots then hit a shot past the pitchers face and yelled thats what you get to the other team and blue called me out. probably had 10 balls hit at me fielded 6. Felt like a **** after. Foot to the left and it was a face shot.

I'm sure he called you out for being a **** and not for hitting at the pitcher. Since when does yelling at the pitcher, after you buzz the tower, STOP middle shots, anyway???

I tell my teammates just hit it where you hit it. If you hit middle, then keep it up. But don't shoot middle just to prove a point. That's douche-baggery at its finest.:cool:

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
i got blown up in the shins 3 times in a game pitching. Started taking shots then hit a shot past the pitchers face and yelled thats what you get to the other team and blue called me out. probably had 10 balls hit at me fielded 6. Felt like a **** after. Foot to the left and it was a face shot.

I'm sorry sir..............I only rate this as the third best troll post.............The fifth best "**** Move" post and 7th best hidden brag, "I'm A Baddass" post I've read today. You must do better.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure he called you out for being a **** and not for hitting at the pitcher. Since when does yelling at the pitcher, after you buzz the tower, STOP middle shots, anyway???

I tell my teammates just hit it where you hit it. If you hit middle, then keep it up. But don't shoot middle just to prove a point. That's douche-baggery at its finest.:cool:

I'd rather keep it low. If you're hitting dookie shots to center that's one thing, but I've seen way more liners too low be near the head than ground balls get caught just a little low and come up to head height.

Nacirema85

Addicted to Softballfans
Got a guy in our league here, his whole team and himself apologizes before he comes up to bat. He has zero bat control and swings the bat in a weird tomahawk/fireaxe chopping motion. Swings from above his shoulder and just bashes **** all over the place. Cracks me up, but at least he and his team is completely aware of the fact that he may accidentally hurt somebody.

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
the dumbest thing is when they are fairly weak hits that get past the pitcher and someone says that

alteredzx

Bazinga
I used to hit middle to send a message to the other team after ive been hit at a few times. Last year, I had a B player send a pissrod back at my head, i wasnt wearing my mask, that hit my earlob. Never saw the ball. no time to react. scared the holy living piss out of me. It would have killed me. The umpire ended up quitting after the season. almosted called the game.

i have a whole new outlook at hitting middle now. I wont ever do it. It nots worth hurting someone so they cant provide for their family. Its game.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I used to hit middle to send a message to the other team after ive been hit at a few times. Last year, I had a B player send a pissrod back at my head, i wasnt wearing my mask, that hit my earlob. Never saw the ball. no time to react. scared the holy living piss out of me. It would have killed me. The umpire ended up quitting after the season. almosted called the game.

i have a whole new outlook at hitting middle now. I wont ever do it. It nots worth hurting someone so they cant provide for their family. Its game.

Gives me the heebie jeebies just reading that.

Iballsohard

Here for the pitches

Yeah just reading this scared the **** out of me. We had a pitcher playing ISA, he is usually pretty good on the mound, he wasn't even out of his release "pose" I guess you would call it and took one in the chest. Never had a chance to get a glove on it. He still got the out but then had to take a knee for a bit. scary as hell.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
It takes a special type of dbag to head hunt (intending to injure) in a recreational game. How bad must your life suck that you have to pull that ish.

kingaj99

Got hits?
Pretty cool story. A foot to the left and maybe you end his life, or maybe make him eat through a straw for a few months, maybe financially cripple his family. Oh yeah this is a serious fn game I forgot!!!

For OGP, I apologize if I get real close to him. Other than that, I don't say a word.

It's been a while... I forgot how much sense you make. Damn sure ain't worth all that. It's a sport we pay to play... especially league, no reason to send someone to the hospital.

It takes a special type of dbag to head hunt (intending to injure) in a recreational game. How bad must your life suck that you have to pull that ish.

I had a guy hit at me 3 times, on the 3rd time he got me in the shin. Speedy ****er took second on the ricochet and then told my ss and I that he did it on purpose cause we were going around his pitcher. Ump threatened to call the game cause it escalated to the point that there was going to be a fight. I almost retired after that night cause it isn't worth it.

nkva

Addicted to Softballfans
In our ASA league, if the batter makes any comment that implies intent to hit a pitcher, he is supposed to be automatically ejected. An ejection triggers an automatic 2 game suspension.

I like this rule.

There has been talk off an on for several years about creating a line in front of the pitcher and having balls over that line become automatic outs. Has anyone played under a rule like that? Results?

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
There has been talk off an on for several years about creating a line in front of the pitcher and having balls over that line become automatic outs. Has anyone played under a rule like that? Results?

I've pitched in USSSA leagues with a "halo" rule in which any ball within a certain distance of the pitcher is an out...and I have never once seen it called.

pontiacfb78

Star Player
I've heard a few guys on here talking about a rule like that. Sounds great in theory, but I think it would take away too much of the field. Basically means that your SS and 2B have 30ft less to cover of the infield on line drives. Plus it doesn't help for guys who didn't do it intentionally. It might even make the pitchers too relaxed, and unprepared for the off hits that do come their way.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Now you have pitchers thinking they're safe, but only behind a rule. It's a recipe for disaster. Pitchers get hit because they're not ready for the ball, this just makes that more likely.

We used screens down in So GA, and I didn't like it, but it's light years ahead of these halo rules.

LeftBench

Addicted to Softballfans
i have been hit. it hurts...left a big bruise. i still pitch. intentionally or not.... the ball will always find a pitcher....

alteredzx

Bazinga
Did he say sorry?

nope, he just trotted to first as I was on my back. Next batter up, another B player "Guess that will take care of any more middle shots huh" We hit 2, 97 hoppers, back to their pitcher. I hit one backside over the pitcher, as he was filling a hole, 8 feet off the rubber. Other than that, we had no middle hits. Nothing remotely close to him.

Gives me the heebie jeebies just reading that.

Yeah just reading this scared the **** out of me. We had a pitcher playing ISA, he is usually pretty good on the mound, he wasn't even out of his release "pose" I guess you would call it and took one in the chest. Never had a chance to get a glove on it. He still got the out but then had to take a knee for a bit. scary as hell.

The thing that really got me, was my 9 year old daughter was there. I'm a single father. So she kind of depends on me a lot. I almost quit the game all together cause **** aint worth it. My next pitch almost went over the backstop cause i was so amped up. I get it, "you got a glove use it" but there are some hits that it dont matter how fast you are, the ball is faster.

After I changed my underwear, drank a beer, I was pissed. It was intentional, everyone there knows it was. League ball is serious bizness!

Last edited:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing that really got me, was my 9 year old daughter was there. I'm a single father. So she kind of depends on me a lot. I almost quit the game all together cause **** aint worth it. My next pitch almost went over the backstop cause i was so amped up. I get it, "you got a glove use it" but there are some hits that it dont matter how fast you are, the ball is faster.

After I changed my underwear, drank a beer, I was pissed. It was intentional, everyone there knows it was. League ball is serious bizness!

Even when the ball isn't faster, it simply takes a minor miscalculation or something else to change your life forever. A flash of light behind the backstop, losing it in the sun or background, hitting a rock, knuckling, it's really a long list of things that could cause a pitcher to get hit. I don't think I'll ever pitch without a mask again.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
As a pitcher I never expect an apology or give one. I just make sure that I never get on the bump, even in league without wearing protection.

blakcherry329

nope, he just trotted to first as I was on my back. Next batter up, another B player "Guess that will take care of any more middle shots huh" We hit 2, 97 hoppers, back to their pitcher. I hit one backside over the pitcher, as he was filling a hole, 8 feet off the rubber. Other than that, we had no middle hits. Nothing remotely close to him.
Ump should have stepped in, at this point. That's BS!

I'd rather keep it low. If you're hitting dookie shots to center that's one thing, but I've seen way more liners too low be near the head than ground balls get caught just a little low and come up to head height.

What I meant was if middle is where they hit, naturally, then keep it up. Some guys are afraid to go middle cuz the other team will start hitting our pitcher. My philosophy is...it's part of the field...swing away.

Last edited:

AlwaysGoFor2

Roll Tide
I'm not apologizing for anything. Pitchers wear gloves just like everyone else. If you can't catch it or are not quick enough to get out of the way then play another position.

THESHOE

Starting Player
What burns me is a team that will intentionally get back into a game with an inning of middle shots.... I can handle it just fine and wear a helmet and a huge trapper glove for a reason.

But don't F'n come crying back when I stamp one up the middle and your 55 year old white haired lazy pitcher didn't like it.

If you hit middle, expect it right back.

Dr. Funkenstein

Addicted to Softballfans
I rarely hit anything that threatens a pitcher because I mostly hit popups and grounders to short...but yeah you have to at least make sure they're good if you hit 'em. I even check if it's one of my teammates...since I pitch it's a bit of self-preservation.

Mongo23

Manager
I always let the P know that if I go middle it was my lack of control rather than intent with a simple "my bad." 3 years ago fall ball a kid hit a pissle at me while I was pitching, got the tip of the webbing on the ball and it ricocheted off my face. Broke my orbital bone... I don't pitch any more but I'll never shoot middle on purpose cuz it just isn't worth it.

Cnape123

Star Player
Nope I don't apologize. Why apologize for hitting in through the biggest hole on the field. I don't aim for the pitcher though. One side or the other where ever the bigger hole is. It's part of the game

Cali_4sb

Coach
In league night yea a "my bad or sorry pitch is cool". We all have families to support. In tournies it's different. I don't shoot middle on purpose but I'll aim right Center all day.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
I'm not apologizing for anything. Pitchers wear gloves just like everyone else. If you can't catch it or are not quick enough to get out of the way then play another position.

Ignorant and antiquated. Perhaps the local career center has a class on batted ball speeds and human reflex. Sign up. Take a notepad.

RyanHi5

Addicted to Softballfans
If you pitch outside you should always except to get hit at. I have quit saying I'm sorry. I play a lot of coed and would rather smash the pitcher for throwing outside then smoke some girl playing second. Its slow pitch slow ball. Just feed it up. If your trying to be Johnny Softball up there then you shouldn't be mad when you get lit up. Pitchers need to expect every ball they throw could get hit back at them. Plus when you say your sorry it gives the pitcher a chance to say something not nice back then thing could get out of hand. If your truly sorry then say it after the game. If you hit middle don't bat flip or ooopppp and it should be a given you didn't mean too.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Even when the ball isn't faster, it simply takes a minor miscalculation or something else to change your life forever. A flash of light behind the backstop, losing it in the sun or background, hitting a rock, knuckling, it's really a long list of things that could cause a pitcher to get hit. I don't think I'll ever pitch without a mask again.

I'm back to wearing my mask in everything but coed (dude's hit an Incrediball). Took a shot to the chest this winter that I knew I was going to field clean but I was a little cold and stiff and so was my glove. Nicked the thumb of my glove en route to my chest.

Liners have never been a problem for me, was only ever worried about the low rockets below my knees. I saw it coming off the bat, was ready for it, thought I moved my glove right on it but my body and glove just didn't respond the way I wanted them to and I ate it in the chest.

Worst part was I decided to go ahead and paint my mask the night before making it unavailable, was a benefit tourney and going to be using 52's. 52 got fouled out and a nice hard 44 was thrown in. Happened in the 1st game, was on high alert the rest of the day.