Sponsor question (or a lawyer in the house?)

jahillia

Addicted to Softballfans
Ok, so I've played for 20+years and I've never had this come up before. I had a sponsor lined up for our team. League fees $275 plus jerseys. Super nice guy but a small business owner. Calls me today and says he contacted his insurance company and they tell him there is a HUGE liability with sponsoring a softball team as they can "represent" the company and if they get hurt, they could sue him and take the business? Have you guys had any type of dealing with this? First time I've ever come across this. I suggested we could all sign a waiver releasing him from any and all liability in case someone gets hurt. We sign a waiver to play so I would think that would cover it.

Aguynamedpat

NSA Super World Champion
I dont see how he could legally be involved, all he is doing is writing you a check and you are putting his name on your shirts. I do not see how he could assume any liability for injury by doing this. I would like to hear for sure though, because I have never heard of this either.

Side note: If I get hurt in either coed or mens tonight, I am suing the corresponding sponsoring restaurant.

ZIM

Addicted to Softballfans
Ok, so I've played for 20+years and I've never had this come up before. I had a sponsor lined up for our team. League fees $275 plus jerseys. Super nice guy but a small business owner. Calls me today and says he contacted his insurance company and they tell him there is a HUGE liability with sponsoring a softball team as they can "represent" the company and if they get hurt, they could sue him and take the business? Have you guys had any type of dealing with this? First time I've ever come across this. I suggested we could all sign a waiver releasing him from any and all liability in case someone gets hurt. We sign a waiver to play so I would think that would cover it.

never heard of this.. it not like its on company time... but hell i would sponsor if league was 275... In az cheapest arround is 500 and at Big league dreams upwards of 1100 per league ..

jrockdog

Splittin Gaps
Not a lawyer. Sounds like there is a misunderstanding. Does he think the sponsor is having employees play ad opposed to just the name on a shirt and dome added local business?

AJ22

Super Moderator
Keep in mind that we do live in a very “sue happy” climate throughout this country these days. Even the smallest problem can often turn into a day in court.

Courts all over the Country have recognized that sports are a huge advertising platform for brands, products and services. Those courts have also been consistent in saying that if sponsors cannot limit their liability exposure to suits for injuries then they simply will not continue to sponsor events, arenas, tracks& teams.

The cases involving whether a sponsor is liable by putting their name or brand on a potential sponsorship, facility , or event have looked very closely at the degree of control that the sponsor has. These Courts have looked at how active or passive a sponsor is in the teams, the facilities, or the events management and operation. The greater the degree of control, the more likely the sponsor will be held liable. In cases where Courts have held the sponsor liable the Courts have essentially stated that there was a “partnership”, and “partners” are liable for the others partners mistakes in many instances. (Rationale like this from various Courts may deem the term “marketing partner” to not be used any longer when referring to a sponsor). In this regard THE SPONSOR could be found to be in partnership with THE TEAM if an injured party were to file suit. I trust that major companies have significantly high insurance coverage, but what about a local ballpark team who has a local business as their sponsor? Neither may have substantial insurance coverage, if any insurance at all.

Ownership in a team (even partial ownership) is another area the Courts look to decide if a sponsor can be held liable for the injuries caused by a tea. Some potential sponsors have partial or full ownership in their teams, and that single factor could be used to determine liability in the case of injuries. With bigger sponsorships (money), we seem to be seeing more and more sponsors becoming partners in their teams wanting to have more control how their brand is marketed and how the money is being spent.

If the sponsor has naming rights, contributes funds for the operation, uses its colors and brands, but does not have any input in the decision making for the team or the event operations and management, it is less likely for a Court to hold them liable. In that instance they are a “pure sponsor”. However, as the sponsor makes decisions about management, personnel, and team functions on an operational level, the more likely they are to be held liable. It’s yet to be seen if something such as a sponsor making a decision on what player the team hires is enough of an operational decision to make a sponsor liable. To date, no cases have been decided on that issue.

The degree of control the sponsor has over the team or the event may be the determining factor as to whether they are a “pure sponsor” and not liable, or whether they have become a “partner” or “joint venturer” and therefore liable. The greater the degree of control the sponsor has, the more likely they could be held liable in the case of injuries.

There is no way to know if or when a sponsor is liable; there are too many fact scenarios and too many nuances in each State’s laws to know for sure. There are ways you can protect your sponsor to make it less likely they can be held liable, and you should be frank and candid if asked that question. Here are a few ways to minimize losing the sponsor prospect who may be worried about their liability:

1) Provide for liability issues in your sponsorship agreement outlining that the sponsor has no ownership, control or say in the management, planning, or operation of the team or event.

2) Provide a liability insurance “Rider” that protects the sponsor from suits in case an injury occurs from the team or event. A “Rider” “Excess” or “Umbrella Policy” can usually be added to insurance coverage for a small additional premium.

3) Consult with and receive an opinion letter from your attorney who has researched sponsorship liability in your State(s). This may involve several state’s law research if you are a team in a multi state traveling series, or a promoter who holds events in different states;

4) Know the basic legal principles of the State(s) you are playing events in so that you can discuss these issues with a sponsorship prospect without sounding evasive. ( You don’t have to have law school training, but you should have a basic understanding of the legal concepts ; its part of your background search and due diligence necessary when seeking sponsorship).

5) Have releases that have been provided by the softball park, promoter, or your insurance company on hand so a copy can be provided to the sponsor when the question arises. (This will show the sponsor prospect that you are professional and businesslike)

6) Take the necessary steps to make sure the sponsor does not exercise that degree of control over the team or event necessary to make them a “partner” or “joint venture”. In short, keep them out of management and operational decisions.

7) Run a professional organization with knowledgeable and properly trained employees and staff. The more professionally run your organization is, the less likely a mistake that causes someone an injury is to occur.

This is a little something I found and used in the past.

elicarter

So every little league team sponsor across the world needs to watch out because there might be a 8 year that could be the future owner of the Chiropractor office in your local town.

jahillia

Addicted to Softballfans
$500 - $1,100 for fees? Ouch!! It's a local ASA rec league here in Knoxville so I guess that's why so low. They built a brand new 4-plex a few years back so it's a really nice park too...As far as the guy, he's a friend on mine so I don't think he is the one with the BS story. He's kind of a paranoid guy when it comes to his business so I can see that he called his insurance company. I think the insurance company is the BS in this one.

AJ22

Super Moderator
The only reason why I searched and asked what I posted was about 25 years ago, my dad was playing in a tournament 4 hours away from home. It was a softball team weekend get away. A couple of his teammates were warming up before their game. There was an overthrow ... and BANG. The ball hit the taillight and broke it along with putting a small dent in the back quarter panel.

No one said anything and they went about their business of playing the game.

Weekend goes by and thurday nights league game has arrived. After the league game, the team went to its local sponsor (as they always did after any league game). Waiting for them was a bill from the owner of the car that was hit. The owner of the car had a certified letter from his lawyer stating that the sponsor was liable for the damages. The sponsor paid the $290 bill as he sent a check. There was plenty of witnesses to what TEAM was warming up, but no one admitted or confessed to the overthrow.

The sponsor paid it ... he didn't want to go to court.

Kramit

you're a lucky man, league fees for me are $1000+. you can sue anyone for anything but it doesnt mean that they will win. AJ seems to know more about it than anyone else who had contributed so far i would take his advice

jahillia

Addicted to Softballfans
AJ- is this something from a website I could look up and show him? I agree with the points. This is simply a guy giving me $275 for the fees and buying t-shirts. He probably wouldn't even attend a game.....I also agree that it's to easy to sue for the smallest things

HITTS

Not a lawyer. Sounds like there is a misunderstanding. Does he think the sponsor is having employees play ad opposed to just the name on a shirt and dome added local business?
I think this is the issue. Have recontact insurance company and explain it is an advertizing matter and no employees are playing on the team have players sign waivers. Also provide league rules to demonstrate it is a recreation league.
$500 - $1,100 for fees? Ouch!! It's a local ASA rec league here in Knoxville so I guess that's why so low. They built a brand new 4-plex a few years back so it's a really nice park too...As far as the guy, he's a friend on mine so I don't think he is the one with the BS story. He's kind of a paranoid guy when it comes to his business so I can see that he called his insurance company. I think the insurance company is the BS in this one.

paranoid insurance company

jahillia

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah I had something similar happen growing up with my dad ... He was coaching an all girls team (before fastpitch) and they were warming up, overthrow....BANG Windshield went to pieces. However, the girl that missed the ball actually filed it under her auto insurance....

jahillia

Addicted to Softballfans
$275 plus t-shirts sounds more like ADVERTISEMENT than a sponsorship ???

That's what I was thinking too. I'm not even sure we were going to put the name of the company, just like a slogan....frustrating!!

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
It's probably a BS excuse but I wouldn't press him.

He may have felt pressure to agree to the sponsorship in the first place or maybe busness has slowed down or maybe his wife is giving him giref.

Who knows but, it's only $25 a person so just pony up the dough.

Personally, I wouldn't want my name on most softbal teams. To much idiotic behavior on the fields and no business needs a bad reputation for anything.

CJ8

Addicted to Softballfans
from the insurance side....to be liable for damages you have to be negligent. Don't see how any negligence can be placed on sponsor of a softball team. Not reasonable to think he could cause or prevent any injuries, thus not responsible.

Whitey0817

Addicted to Softballfans
If this were the case id be pissed...id have nowhere to go drinkin, last year my tuesday league had 6 of 8 teams sponsored by a local bar/tavern/saloon lol

RobinMichaels

Addicted to Softballfans
Very informative for those of us shopping for sponsorship. As long as they just pay us as walking billboards and don't try and coach or organize the team, they are clear. That is if I have read that big post correctly.

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter
The answer is no. There is no liability involved with his sponsoring you. The liability is all with the league, and they should get you to sign a waiver at the beginning of the season/tournament.