ASA Strike Zone

Joker

badumpirer.jpg

sjury

The Old Man
You're letting it go probably because you finally realized that you're wrong. I doubt you'd admit it though. The graph I posted was in a book, written by a physicist. But, I'm sure you know more than him, right? :der:

Notice they preface the graph with no spin on the ball? That's because it's based on a formula, not real life. It's an example, not gospel.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Ok NCASAUmp

Lets just forget everything that I originally posted and go from here then.

Can someone show me how a 6' high pitch that lands 1" behind the plate ever be in the "strike zone"

This is really unbelievable. You might be the only guy on this website that would call that pitch a ball and there are some people with some faaarr out opinions on here.

I ask this next question in all seriousness, have you played ball recently? You mentioned you umpire a lot. I can't remember a player ever arguing that pitch either. Why would you? Despite your midget comparison, that pitch is very hittable.

Secondly, and maybe more importantly, have you been to any clinics in the last say ten years? I can't believe you went to an ASA clinic and argued this point and didn't get laughed at, especially if you argued it this hard.

Tell your friend to man up, buy his beer. Maybe you should buy the beer for him since you believe he got screwed by the laws of physics and a conspiracy involving every other softball player and umpire on this sight and maybe in the universe except whatever bizarro town you live in where people believe a legal pitch that lands where you describe is a ball.

Tell your friend there is no shame in admitting he thought it was going to hit the plate and got fooled when it landed past the plate. Did the umpire do the Michael Jackson moonwalk when he rang him up? He should have after the "Death stare"

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Notice they preface the graph with no spin on the ball? That's because it's based on a formula, not real life. It's an example, not gospel.

Sjury, you are really trying to argue strikes and trajectory with a guy named "Illegal Pitcher? ":eek:

Illegal pitcher

The Veteran

The graph is just a typical trajectory for a 12' pitch. Spin can alter the trajectory, but certainly not enough to give it the trajectory of a golf drive.

No spin is real life. I can throw a pitch that only spins once or so, but does not knuckle. That's pretty darn close to no spin, wouldn't you agree? So, if I threw it 12' and there's no wind, the trajectory would be very similar to the graph.

Joker

sjury should point out that the graph you posted shows a release point of 3' for all pitches, which is a better point for showing how its not a real world graph

x25

Addicted to Softballfans
and thats not always the case, so its not accurate for a real world application

It's not accurate, in the sense that it won't replicate any given pitch thrown across the board, but it appears pretty precise as an example of a 'normal' pitch arc. (and not trying to be a **** with the distinction, but it's somewhat important here)

The point of the graph isn't "your pitches look like this" - it's simply "those people who think their pitch hump-backs at 40 feet and drops suddenly are probably not correct, absent crazy spin/wind conditions" ... the highest part of the arc is likely extremely close to the midpoint. That means it's likely it crossed the knees somewhere during its 17" travel across the plate.

Joker

it also shows the distance at 50' where the ball lands. if the ball is crossing the plate its going more than 50', and in a lot of places more then 53' or 55'

x25

Addicted to Softballfans
it also shows the distance at 50' where the ball lands. if the ball is crossing the plate its going more than 50', and in a lot of places more then 53' or 55'

Part of that is handled by the fact the ball starts higher than it lands, but I think we're on the same page mostly: complaining about umping is the dumbest, and the "idiot box"/pseudo-mat isn't right but it isn't bad enough to *****.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Sully - A really flat legal pitch I'm talking about is probably only 12 inches off the ground when it crosses the front of the plate.

When you start out exaggerating, no one reads any further. Draw it on a piece of paper and you can see that this cant happen.

spos21ram

The Legend
A "really flat legal piitch" is an oxymoron. Maybe it's different for ASA, but in USSSA flat means no hump, which means an illigal pitch. In order for a pitch to be legal it has to have a hump....but for arguments sake, a flat 6 foot pitch would have some speed on it. That pitch wouldnt even end up close to the plate.... Unless its against the backstop.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Ok NCASAUmp

Lets just forget everything that I originally posted and go from here then.

Can someone show me how a 6' high pitch that lands 1" behind the plate ever be in the "strike zone"

Show me where it isn't other than your opinion.

Guess what? It really doesn't make a difference does it? If you are an umpire, you know what I mean.

x25

Addicted to Softballfans
Show me where it isn't other than your opinion.

Slow day at work and I should know better, but I did the math for him ... using 30mph out of the hand and average height for a dude, you can estimate that a pitch that lands 1" behind the plate and hits exactly 6' at the top of the arc would have crossed the front of the plate at somewhere between 19" and 20" high.

The average height to the bottom of a guy's knee? Somewhere between 18" and 19" according to Google.

The "rule of thumb" ASA strike zone is pretty damn close - much closer than broscience.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
You can actually do the math on a slow pitched softball?

That is awesome!

It has always been my contention that a proper and accurate mat could be designed to account for 99% of all slow pitches but I couldn't ever find enough info on speed, arc, gravity etc. I think I found one mention of the ball speed (I believe it was more like 15MPH) and I found the graph that was posted earlier in this thread.

My thought is that it would hug the back point of the plate and be rounded/oblonged to allow for balls that come across the zone at a bit of an angle.

I'd love to see an image of different arcs. A 3D image with the potential spread of release points would be interesting also. The variation would only be 3 or 4 feet right or left and I doubt that it would make more than an inch difference in where it landed or crossed the zone.

If you ever come across something, maybe you could post it?

Illegal pitcher

The Veteran
It has always been my contention that a proper and accurate mat could be designed to account for 99% of all slow pitches but I couldn't ever find enough info on speed, arc, gravity etc. I think I found one mention of the ball speed (I believe it was more like 15MPH) and I found the graph that was posted earlier in this thread.

My thought is that it would hug the back point of the plate and be rounded/oblonged to allow for balls that come across the zone at a bit of an angle.

I don't see any reason to have a mat that isn't rectangular. The mat you described would be more accurate for some pitches, and less accurate for others.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Thus the need for the chart.

All strikes will land in a closely defined zone. I just thought the rounded part would take care of the ones that happen to cut across the edge of the plate, in the zone. I can see those missing a mat that went straight back.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
It has always been my contention that a proper and accurate mat could be designed to account for 99% of all slow pitches but I couldn't ever find enough info on speed, arc, gravity etc.

It cannot be done as there are too many variables. And yes, I've call pitches two feet behind the plate strikes if they were legal and passed through the strike zone.