The Do's and Don'ts on how to ship a bat

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans
If you've got a scale around the house or are using Flat Rate packaging, buying postage online is the way to go. I love walking into the post office and bypassing the line of 15 people just to throw my package on the counter, turn around and leave.

You dont nessisarily need a scale if you can do some quick math. 16oz in 1lb, any bat is going to weight in under 2lbs, and figure the box itself, depending on packaging and tape will be about 1lb. So if you set the weight online to 3lbs you will be all set, its NBD if u paid a few extra cents to ship, but if you UNDER PAID by 1 cent, the bat will arrive back at your house.

HouSoftball

Addicted to Softballfans
BTW.....if you use the kiosk or print online at USPS, the delivery confirmation prints on the postage label. The workers will almost always scan these at each location as opposed to having to find the green tracking label.

suthrner

Church League Allstar
Reusing Boxes

This is how I Roll.

05062011003a.JPG

Nothing wrong with reusing a box; just take a second to make it look professional.

comal

Starting Player
Set up a UPS/FEDEX shipping account online and order their free triangle mail tubes. Much better quality than the USPS flimsy ones.

Fold them inside out = ) and you have a really nice, sturdy, brown unmarked triangle mail tube to ship your bats.

Also, if you ship in round tubes w/ caps... buy a can of the 3M Spray Adhesive (Lowes/Home Depot) and use it to seal the caps in place in addition to your tape job. FYI ...if you use this adhesive, there's no way you can get the caps off without cutting them out/tearing the cardboard. I'll always give the buyer a heads up if I use a tube. Better safe than sorry.

And don't EVER go with cheap quality packing tape..... You get what you pay for. I prefer Duck Brand, it's a little more expensive but well worth it. Available at Wal-Mart. Never had an issue.

adunn83

Jesus saves!
How I ship a bat..........
100_0685.jpg

100_0686.jpg

100_0687.jpg

100_0688.jpg

I also attach a label with the address to the bat. I have a pic but it clearly states someone's information.

schlegdog13

Addicted to Softballfans
Ive used the tubes for years with reinforced shipped tape over the ends without issue. I think they actually are more durable than the triangle boxes. Insurance and confirmation are always a must though...

rightsideswine

Banned User
Someone should post a pic of a box they get from me...i've used the same technique since the very first bat I ever shipped....ever see my name on the missing bat bad deal list? ;)

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
The plastic endcaps were never meant to be taped. They are supposed to be stapled. When properly packaged tubes are superior to triangles.

This 10x's over. I can't believe the way people tape these things. The tubes are much more durable than the boxes or triangles. I've recieved both that looked like they were used to beat the dogs off! Big holes and bent boxes..I was affraid to look inside. I will say this though, if you don't secure the ends of the tubes right the bat will come out. I wrap it like the op did with the box, like a christmas present after taping the heck out of the end of the tube. I then tape the ends after wrapping it up...should put staples in there but after wrapping it twice it should be secure.

drburges

OOH KILL EM
Shipped one out today. Triangle box, taped to perfection, wrapped the bat in a towel (don't tell my ol lady) but adds a little more protection. Adds a little weight but still was $12.05 with DC and insurance. Brag post

jbennett13

It's God-gibben...
adding my piece:

As an aside, I would like to provide the following photos of my shipping packaging.

I would like to hear pro/cons, pos/neg of my process. Thanks in advance.

Here's a picture of a triangle that I have turned inside out. I place 9 strips of packing tape on the end, one strip down the open spine, and typically 4 strips around for structural integrity.
IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

I wrap the barrel of the bat with 1/2 of a padded envelope.
IMAG0038.jpg

And it is then placed in the triangle.
IMAG0039.jpg

I use the other 1/2 of the padded envelope on the knob end to prevent any moving and shaking.
IMAG0040.jpg

Here's the other end finished with 9 strips of packing tape + 1 strip around the triangle.
IMAG0041.jpg

Finished Product.
IMAG0042.jpg

This is how I have done it for the last year or so. Any comments?

I don't see how its good advice to ship USPS. I really don't.

i think overall for price and services, usps is pretty cheap and fast. the problems people have come from one person not properly packing or taping the box, not usps. everybody has their preferences, but i think majority ship with this service.

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
Ya, I like the tubes for strength but I ship with boxes or triangles. Key point is tape the sucker up. Don't skimp on that. Wrapping it like a christmas package does wonders. I find that usps is cheaper but any carrier should be good...just package it right.

blov10

Nortadakota
D/C and Insurance

I'll disagree somewhat with needing D/C and Ins. Insurance alone handles both the roles of D/C and Ins. Insurance is used to track the item just like D/C. If people are using USPS.com to ship, D/C is free. If you are going to the Post Office, you're spending the extra money for nothing. Most of the workers won't tell you this due to the fact that it's getting them more money when you buy both.

kcbomb

Addicted to Softballfans
Please ship your bat as described and remember this...ship the bat how you would like it shippped to you. Carefully pack, label, insure, secure tracking #, share tracking #, and drop off timely (once paid of course).

kellyobama340

have kind of been wondering the same thing. I am going to HOF inductions next month and have a bat I would like to take to get signed. I live in GA so I am flying there. Anyone have ideas on taking a bat on the plane? The only thing I can think of is to take my bat bag and do it that way. I doubt there is anyway I can take it as a carry on, in a bag or not. Anybody else had any experience with this?

Last edited: