The most durable softballs

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'm going to have to say Tattoo NX3s. I've had a NX3 C+ in my BP bag for over a year now and it doesn't show any signs of slowing down. It performs as well now as the day I put it in the bag.

Obviously NX3s have an advantage over other balls. They don't have a cover and are basically just a molded polyurethane ball. Usually the first thing to wear out on a normal ball is the cover. I guess I'd put Worth Platinum Dots in the same boat. They're made similarly and are marketed for BP. NX3s cost a little more than other balls, but IMO they're worth it.

2nd place for ball durability are Trump X Rocks. I have 5 C+ X Rocks in the bag, and they still perform great. The covers get nicked up, but the cores hold up well.

Anyone wanting maximum longevity out of a softball should take a hard look at NX3s though.

ETDave

Old School
I totally agree about the NX3’s. I have some that are about three years old and still go as far as some I bought a few weeks ago.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I agree. I bought a dozen going on three years ago and I still have a few I didnt lose. They are still in good shape. Getting wet doesn't destroy them. I had ONE that ended up losing a chunk out of it and that's the only one that's bad. The rest I have still sound the same. The ball doesn't die and there is no cover to get torn or have busted threads. That's usually what happens to other balls. Either they go mushy, the cover tears or the seams bust over time.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I agree. I bought a dozen going on three years ago and I still have a few I didnt lose. They are still in good shape. Getting wet doesn't destroy them. I had ONE that ended up losing a chunk out of it and that's the only one that's bad. The rest I have still sound the same. The ball doesn't die and there is no cover to get torn or have busted threads. That's usually what happens to other balls. Either they go mushy, the cover tears or the seams bust over time.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the manufacturers start making similar balls in the next few years. They will probably become more mainstream. Maybe the only reason NX3 style balls aren't more popular is that the manufacturers know they last forever, so people won't need to buy softballs as often.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I wouldn't be surprised if all the manufacturers start making similar balls in the next few years. They will probably become more mainstream. Maybe the only reason NX3 style balls aren't more popular is that the manufacturers know they last forever, so people won't need to buy softballs as often.

Two other issues I think prevent them from being as popular. One is "what we've always used", people are afraid to try something new and risk it sucking. The second issue is it is such a major change from every other type of softball. Softballs are supposed to have soft covers and stitches. The new ball is "just weird". When the ball is still going strong 3 years later, I can live with different.
Our local league uses Thunder Sy's. Not a bad ball but not nearly as durable as the NX3.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Two other issues I think prevent them from being as popular. One is "what we've always used", people are afraid to try something new and risk it sucking. The second issue is it is such a major change from every other type of softball. Softballs are supposed to have soft covers and stitches. The new ball is "just weird". When the ball is still going strong 3 years later, I can live with different.
Our local league uses Thunder Sy's. Not a bad ball but not nearly as durable as the NX3.

I agree. The first time I ever saw an NX3 I was leery of it. However, the ball plays and feels just about the same as other classic +s. Only real difference is, the ball lasts a heck of a lot longer.

I wondered if NX3s would be like hitting batting cage balls. They aren't. If anything, Platinum Dots feel more like batting cage balls. They're harder and heavier.

In reality, most people don't need NX3s. They often lose balls at league/tournies anyway. NX3s are better for guys who BP a ton and get sick of going through lots of balls.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Softball players are like the most backward hilljacks when it comes to change. Remember how everyone acted about yellow balls?

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
No one else will be making that ball in the near future. I wont be nor will Dudley, and if Worth though it were a good move they would have done it by now. We had Evil versions but chose not to peruse that design.
N79OuNeuYXJpH8_wIbB9mR5CqNw4Sd7JJ6u2vj2UHdHc_9KcQF6B8Os1q80VIe6L6OduLYApGUUep0-NFP3vSKw4o44GmZBAHjSb9QNGEDeF7Gmfum9OiaMjRARtKCPcOzyR2GO2Kuw3HfYZnxkiG60nvi9cxpKxb0klWalEetppVDcNYSWeON1c1M6NrIGpNXKa-rrze4KP8Rn6WrQZa3fysHgM51bUkxZeEs-2KdaAiURm5V1Hu-d40I2utM3MrCVTSimupbTwfzeORzxHSyh7XUsIL5ecPVOU_mdyu_wuYfvbfCH7BYR_ITYIkTjE2-FN89Cq4Y2tUVzSnOT0saHtTvuLQXbGdFSQ8ZkgwPpcrvHSf_Bigc_X9qke0aCoRJj-yOp1-QX085UpFAU975N8d0rpAs_nRqBOHWHeXTA9je0IrabfSQnIQxs4jpk7WpBGyZQSN92S56qBmLaNE2VZ18CnSeH7G2VTJw_Cs7pexlPtchbctsGbUzuBP5glA70bvu6HHMd2593cBxd0kuBpX78cs0-0Q0FCTq-UJnZDDUYcMsC-HfDPLBGKE0aw5YtbQjXZ5xhmXQPDwEPx_6XWuOA5NVdrCtx7XB-M17gQBy3RG5Nc_AtvpV05zSFK23wFYOc0BevWzcpbNStBmcsu8laNnBnUFcxrCQFoDzTSaX0vwtNe05Y3=w668-h889-no

mnballer

Addicted to Softballfans
Buggs why not..??

For asa most of the d and c saction tourneys we play up here in MN, bring your own ball 90% all you see are the nx3's.

I really like evil's too but they start to "peel" to easy.. they seem to stay hard and fly nice.. I just think the nx3 is a notch about anything else.. and that's just my option and only for asa/usa

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
No one else will be making that ball in the near future. I wont be nor will Dudley, and if Worth though it were a good move they would have done it by now. We had Evil versions but chose not to peruse that design.
N79OuNeuYXJpH8_wIbB9mR5CqNw4Sd7JJ6u2vj2UHdHc_9KcQF6B8Os1q80VIe6L6OduLYApGUUep0-NFP3vSKw4o44GmZBAHjSb9QNGEDeF7Gmfum9OiaMjRARtKCPcOzyR2GO2Kuw3HfYZnxkiG60nvi9cxpKxb0klWalEetppVDcNYSWeON1c1M6NrIGpNXKa-rrze4KP8Rn6WrQZa3fysHgM51bUkxZeEs-2KdaAiURm5V1Hu-d40I2utM3MrCVTSimupbTwfzeORzxHSyh7XUsIL5ecPVOU_mdyu_wuYfvbfCH7BYR_ITYIkTjE2-FN89Cq4Y2tUVzSnOT0saHtTvuLQXbGdFSQ8ZkgwPpcrvHSf_Bigc_X9qke0aCoRJj-yOp1-QX085UpFAU975N8d0rpAs_nRqBOHWHeXTA9je0IrabfSQnIQxs4jpk7WpBGyZQSN92S56qBmLaNE2VZ18CnSeH7G2VTJw_Cs7pexlPtchbctsGbUzuBP5glA70bvu6HHMd2593cBxd0kuBpX78cs0-0Q0FCTq-UJnZDDUYcMsC-HfDPLBGKE0aw5YtbQjXZ5xhmXQPDwEPx_6XWuOA5NVdrCtx7XB-M17gQBy3RG5Nc_AtvpV05zSFK23wFYOc0BevWzcpbNStBmcsu8laNnBnUFcxrCQFoDzTSaX0vwtNe05Y3=w668-h889-no

Any insight as to why? I'm not saying that 1 piece balls have to take over the market, but they do seem like a very good alternative for guys who play in wet areas and don't want to deal with waterlogged balls.

From a BP standpoint there isn't a better ball out there. NX3s and Platinum Dots are by far the most durable thing out.

Country469

Manufactures have no interest in bp balls being super great long term. loss of sales.

As a game back, I hated them to pitch, and any chance to get them out of play I would. Knicked ball, paint comes off the stamp, etc. See ya ball.

mcia

Addicted to Softballfans
Are you guys referring to the NX3 spinners? Those are the ones advertised as "washable"...

BruceinGa

always online
I've had 4 dozen NX3's, the orange and yellow ones, for 3 or 4 years. I use them weekly for bp and they perform great. As for wash ability, yup, just scrubbed them a month ago and most look as good as when I got them. Some may get chipped when the hit the fence but still hittable.
I also have 3 or 4 44/375's and they've held up well also.

mcia

Addicted to Softballfans
As far as a softball that can be used to break in bats designed only to hit .52, yet not do damage to the bat, how would Dudley SB12 .47 375 fair if hitting off a tee (I have a bunch brand new)? Would that ball be considered more, the same, or less impact on the bat as opposed to .52 300?

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
As far as a softball that can be used to break in bats designed only to hit .52, yet not do damage to the bat, how would Dudley SB12 .47 375 fair if hitting off a tee (I have a bunch brand new)? Would that ball be considered more, the same, or less impact on the bat as opposed to .52 375?

SB12s start off somewhat hard, but don't stay that way. The cork core breaks down quickly and they turn into lopsided sponges. Honestly, you're probably better off with .52s.

mcia

Addicted to Softballfans
SB12s start off somewhat hard, but don't stay that way. The cork core breaks down quickly and they turn into lopsided sponges. Honestly, you're probably better off with .52s.

The SB12 reputation is that of a horrible one....I believe it may be somewhat dependent on what iteration of SB12 most are referring to....we hit non-association white .47 375 in one league for years and although they do have a tendency to not be "as lively" after being hit more than a game or two, I have yet to see them get lopsided. I had some very old versions of SB12 where your claim was exactly appropriate.

So from the very start, will the .47 375 SB12 be harder on the bat vs. the .52 polycore?

mcia

Addicted to Softballfans
Evil BP 52, proven safe for 5 years

Well the first thing I would like to do is possibly work with the balls I already have before I choose any perspective .52.....if only I can get a definitive answer to my question....

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
You don't need to break in a bat anymore. period.

If you even have a sniff of being tested, stay the **** away from anything but 52s

"game ready" means you took the wrapper off in 2020

This is all true. I don't BP gamers at all. Wrapper comes off, and they immediately get used in games only.

mcia

Addicted to Softballfans
So these balls (Evil BP Rocket and Tattoo Spinner) that aren't .52 300, suggestive they will break in your bat without damaging, or minimal damage, doesn't apply to any composite bat manufactured after what year?

mcia

Addicted to Softballfans
I haven't needed to break in a bat since about 2015.

Bats haven't needed 100s of swings to open up since about 2010.

If that is the general case, and you are a person with reputable insight, then there are plenty of softballers very misinformed...which appears to be quite common across forums, YouTube, etc.I'm simply trying to make an informed decision and I am no expert by any means....

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I haven't needed to break in a bat since about 2015.

Bats haven't needed 100s of swings to open up since about 2010.

Unless you swung Easton or Mizuno.

Pre '17 Eastons and any Mizuno before whatever year the Nighthawk came out still needed work. All other manufacturers; just peel the wrapper.

mcia

Addicted to Softballfans
Well I'm sure you have seen countless accounts relating to newer composites of:

- "This bat wasn't hot out of the wrapper but after "X" amount of swings, it has opened up."

So either the generalization that all newer bats (or most) no longer require any breaking in is incorrect....or, the people insisting that after hits the bat has improved, are just plain crazy or misinformed.........lol