Western Nationals, Who's Going?

denthepitcher

SF Native
Any board members going to be in Sac, Elk Grove, Lincoln, Roseville this weekend?

I'll be helping out Scrap Iron Colorado Home Fitness 55AAA.

Mont 25

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll be there with Michael's AutoGroup, formerly Michael's Toyota. Looking forward to good times! Good luck fellas!

ffdonnie

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm there with JU55 M+.
Trying to get an update on the new ball from my 65 buddies. Nothing yet.

Update from Lincoln: They're not seeing any difference with the new Stote Microcell ball.
It's 100+ deg. up there as usual, and the balls aren't going out. But maybe it's just too hot for these 65 year olds, who knows? We'll see in a couple of days.

Last edited:

ffdonnie

Addicted to Softballfans
The Stote Microcell is a big upgrade to the old Stote. I miss-hit a couple out in 93-94° heat. They fly when you back spin them, but do some real funky stuff when hit square ( just like the Rock). But not stupid like the Rock. Overall big improvement.

phoenix26

<font color="#228B22">SBF Fund Donor</font>
Just got back from Lincoln. Bad Seed 55 Major...finished 4th
D & K, WPI & SoCal Guys were the teams left when I took off.
As far as the new ball goes, ffdonnie description was pretty accurate.
An improvement, yes, but not the dramatic jump like the x-rock.
The reason for that I believe is the cover. The composite cover of the
x-rock is softer..(more squishy)? than the balls this weekend. The synthetic
cover is just not as soft and/or pliable as the x-rock.The bat doesn't get to the poly core
part of the ball as easy as the x-rock.
Bigger guys, not a problem. But if you're smaller,older or have a slower swing speed you
may not notice that big of a difference.

denthepitcher

SF Native
I just got back from Ca, and what I observed with the new ball is what ffdonnie said, it does some funky stuff when hit square and hard.Lots of line drives rattling around in gloves when caught in the outfield. Overall, a good ball. I'll be in Denver in a couple of weeks and curious to see how it does at altitude.

The other thing that stood out at the Sac complex was how soaking wet the fields were every morning this weekend.It was pretty hot all weekend, and combined with the super wet fields,made for really muggy playing conditions. It almost seemed like it was intentional action, given that the fields could have been watered after the tournament on Monday.

Several teams questioned if it was to test the new ball.

Mont 25

Addicted to Softballfans
Congratulations on winning the tournament.
I'll look you guys up in Vegas.
Unfortunately, we lost in the "If Game"... However, it has us motivated for Worlds. I play with the 50's team, our Micheal's 55 team won Nationals in Sacramento. It will be fun to connect in Vegas. Good luck the rest of the Way.

denthepitcher

SF Native
Unfortunately, we lost in the "If Game"... However, it has us motivated for Worlds. I play with the 50's team, our Micheal's 55 team won Nationals in Sacramento. It will be fun to connect in Vegas. Good luck the rest of the Way.

Ahhh, my bad. Thank you for the correction. Good luck the rest of the way also.

dynatone

Addicted to Softballfans
We were in Roseville, just got moved up mid season from 60 M to 60 M+ and got spanked bad. Not in favor of this move as the team is built for M.

On the ball, I didn't see much improvement. At M+, many balls in the outfield had major movement in flight. As an experienced outfielder and consider myself good at tracking balls down, there were one or two per game that ended up not where I thought they would end up when they left the infield.