What has happened to this site!!!

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans
I know I have been gone for a little bit. But came back recently and have had 6-8 people tell me they want to purchase something and guess what!!!!!!!! Nothing, no further communication... nada. Can you hold them until payday..sure.... and guess what nothing. Things have changed here, not for the good.

Rant over!!!!!!!!!

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I don't waste time trying to do deals on here anymore. There isn't any traffic, and those who actually send you messages to buy your stuff are completely flaky. The overall quality of softball related discussions has gone way downhill too.

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
Just curious...what is it that you don't like about the format? I know the first few times when I got on here I didn't like it but I just got use to it and now seems ok.

Dogue

Evil Genius
I wonder what the traffic level is compared to the old format? I know it seems there's less activity and especially from some of the guys that used to post a lot. I still come here (obviously) but not nearly as much as I used to, and I haven't messed with the marketplace for a while either.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i think traffic levels were dwindling before the change. this perhaps was an attempt to grab it back. The issue is web forums are dying. I'm involved in a good number of them and all of them have lower posting numbers. people take it to social media and FB now. its changed.

Stretch19

Grow up
facebook is the reason the traffic id down on this site...it has nothing to do with the new look or function of the site

there are countless facebook groups where people are buying/selling bats, gloves, etc

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
Format change was rough at first but now used to it.
There has always been flakey dudes.
It is the off season for most so they don't visit.
The forums are still a fun place to visit

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
facebook is the reason the traffic id down on this site...it has nothing to do with the new look or function of the site

there are countless facebook groups where people are buying/selling bats, gloves, etc
I don't have a fb account, and if I did I would rather deal here than have them be able to see my private life info. Unless you buy locally there send to be almost no recourse if you get robbed as well.

I think the new format was to try and get new members and I've seen more new members lately than I can remember for awhile. I guess time will tell.

RustyShakleford

I don't have a fb account, and if I did I would rather deal here than have them be able to see my private life info. Unless you buy locally there send to be almost no recourse if you get robbed as well.

I think the new format was to try and get new members and I've seen more new members lately than I can remember for awhile. I guess time will tell.
you can limit who sees your info. also if you're posting it on facebook, it's not exactly private

Stretch19

Grow up

youre probably well aware, but you are in the minority here

what recourse do you have here if you get robbed? uh, nothing? if you pay via paypal on FB then you have the same recourse you have here while having the ability to see who it is that you are actually dealing with.

its just the fact times are changing, message board traffic is decreasing b/c of social media groups and that wont change; the old guys will continue to hang here, the younger generation wont...simple as that

RustyShakleford

the amount of protection is the same here as it is on facebook or instagram or where ever. actually facebook can let you see friends and family where as SBF will not. there is a larger community on facebook now. there are groups dedicated to calling out ngtg sellers/buyers/traders. the problem with facebook is that anyone can start a group with no oversight. there are shady raffles and groups all over the place with people following blindly. its still no different than here, do your research and protect yourself as much as possible.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I've only seen the shadier groups, but I've seen people's deals made right here and never seen that fb. I browse on my wife's if you're wondering how u see it without one.

I know also in the minority here, but I like bsing with people here and not having to see you in real life. I've only lived up here a year and I am already getting mobbed at the park.

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans

I hear ya. I'm not a FB user, as you don't want anyone to know my private life. As far as doing deals on FB...I would be very very cautious. Only would deal with maybe the FH's with a good rep. I like the security of SBF and yes every place has it's bad apples just seems that they get policed here a little better.

RustyShakleford

I hear ya. I'm not a FB user, as you don't want anyone to know my private life. As far as doing deals on FB...I would be very very cautious. Only would deal with maybe the FH's with a good rep. I like the security of SBF and yes every place has it's bad apples just seems that they get policed here a little better.
if you're not a Facebook user how do you know how it's policed? I see the same type of work being put into bad deals on Facebook as on here.

jonah35

Addicted to Softballfans
I was never a huge poster here, but I was on this sight looking multiple times a night because there was that much stuff to look at. Now, like you've all mentioned nothing is happening. you could go to the lounge and have a laugh every night... Now you don't see half of those guys on there. Joker was a ****, but would consistently make me laugh. He hated the "what's the best Asa bat" threads and I always wonder why. Because really, if you don't like it, move on. Now that I'm on Facebook pages and see that every night, I get his frustration. The amount of knowledge this place had when it was busy was fun to be apart of. People knew there stuff on here.
And this is why I never post, I've literally rambled this whole time. Hah

jblock285

easton hater
I just got back on after about 4 years away and it just seems dead. Back when I first joined it was a lot of fun and always seemed like a ton of people on. Hopefully it grows a little because I hate facebook lol

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is definitely down from years ago, but what do you really expect? You guys say, I was gone for a while, I was gone for 4 years, when people leave or don't post, activity goes down.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
Paypal as goods works no matter what site you made contact on. Aside from Paypal's occasional nonsense. And I like all the pretty numbers that show deal ratings here.

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
if you're not a Facebook user how do you know how it's policed? I see the same type of work being put into bad deals on Facebook as on here.

I have buddies that got rip off through facebook and there's no real way to get back what you lost. At least here there's feedback and people sometimes will help you recover what was lost ie: bat, money. Not saying this is foolproof but from what I've heard about facebook I'm not going there to do deals...not saying all are bad but not taking that chance.

Of all the deals I've done here I guess I've been lucky so far and never got taken. I've had people back out...sent money and they sell it when I had a deal with them but that's been the worst of it.

Last edited:

RustyShakleford

I have buddies that got rip off through facebook and there's no real way to get back what you lost. At least here there's feedback and people sometimes will help you recover what was lost ie: bat, money. Not saying this is foolproof but from what I've heard about facebook I'm not going there to do deals...not saying all are bad but not taking that chance.

Of all the deals I've done here I guess I've been lucky so far and never got taken. I've had people back out...sent money and they sell it when I had a deal with them but that's been the worst of it.
the risks here are the same on facebook. there is the same amount of feedback and people willing to help you out. i don't understand what people think is on this site that makes it more protected than anywhere else on the internet.

Stretch19

Grow up
i dont see how you have any more protection on here than you do on FB...if you pay through PP you have that as protection, outside of that its a crap shoot

is the avg member here more upstanding and trustworthy than someone on facebook? probably so...but people on here have been scammed out of bats/money/property just like people have on FB. there is no way to stop someone, whether on here or on FB if they want to screw you, id at least want to know the persons real name and see a circle of friends than just an avatar and a screen name

single wally

Professional Amateur
Site activity has plummeted, now some of the top forums go a day or more without a single post. When it comes to deal-making, I can see how FB has taken over, but when it comes to info on an organized, searchable level, SBF is still much better. Hopefully this place gets a second wind because the slow death has been painful to watch. I blame the millennials.