What is the deal with the Monsta Bats?

RaiderKit

Addicted to Softballfans
I played in a league for years that outlawed all non ASA bats and any of the Miken Freak bats. Any and all of them.

Sbrazel21

BAT W#0RE
"EXCEPTION: Easton bats added to ASA/USA’s Non-Approved List with Certification Marks in 2016 are legal in EMASS WEEKDAY DIVISION ONLY. These are the following models: SCN1, SCN11BH, SCN1B, SCN2B, SCN3, SCN4B, SCN5, SCN5B, SCN6B, SCN7, SCN7B, SCN8, SCN8B, SCN9, SCX14, SCX14B, SCX24B, and SCX3."
Apparently one of the commissioners must have a stockpile of old Synergys.
Hopefully in 12 years when I'm ready for Senior ball, all these Yahoos that create arbitrary rules will be retired.

Country469

I get a kick out of sr anything using better equipment than normal.......if anything you slow the game down for the slower players. Who needs to hit 44 500s and 1.21s when the of'ers all are slower and have knee issues like cray

kratos1981

So they ban a certain bat because it exceeds speeds but don't do any compression testing. So if someone wanted to they could use a shaved bat and nobody would know. A used Demarini is going to be just as hot as anything out there if not considerably better.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Wait. So they banned a bat that is approved by USA Softball, but allowed a bat the Company itself agreed to remove from the approved list?!?

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
Wait. So they banned a bat that is approved by USA Softball, but allowed a bat the Company itself agreed to remove from the approved list?!?
Your right. To make it more senseless is we allow those Easton's during the week but you can't use them on Sat because we use ASA umps on Sat.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Imo it is a sensible move on LD's part as well all know that the only thing that is illegal about those Easton on the list is the fact that Easton themselves ask to have them put on the list cause of lack of sales imo of their recent,current bats, most of those bats are not quite as hot as these bats mentioned unless of course they have 1000's of swings on them..

I found it amusing watching the video on the front page of bat company that we speak of, most if not all the guys on that team have very crappie swings hitting hr's on just about every at bat, so I can see why some leagues /umps would go out and do so (ban/remove)a bat from play (at their discretion) and allow old Easton stuff during leagues but not allow them on Saturdays (sanctioned tourney)..ijs

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Imo it is a sensible move on LD's part as well all know that the only thing that is illegal about those Easton on the list is the fact that Easton themselves ask to have them put on the list cause of lack of sales imo of their recent,current bats, most of those bats are not quite as hot as these bats mentioned unless of course they have 1000's of swings on them..

I found it amusing watching the video on the front page of bat company that we speak of, most if not all the guys on that team have very crappie swings hitting hr's on just about every at bat, so I can see why some leagues /umps would go out and do so (ban/remove)a bat from play (at their discretion) and allow old Easton stuff during leagues but not allow them on Saturdays (sanctioned tourney)..ijs

I get your logic, but that is assuming most LD's have that level of knowledge about bats. Most I've been around don't. It would seem easier to me to just compare the bats to a list that is already published for you rather than ban some bats and allow others that deviate from the list. I'm pretty sure USA Softball does a better job testing bats than whatever league this is. Let them do the work for you. Any of said Eastons that are still around wouldn't even come close to passing compression today. So it makes sense for Easton and USA Softball.

Country469

Most of your actual League Directors are city/county/municipality employees and don't have a whole lot of softball equipment background. They really need to rely on the extensive testing done. I hate monsta, don't get me wrong, but if mosta passes the tests and pays its fee to be a USA licensed and legal product its BS they can't be used.

Joker

Leagues have been banning Mikens for years ever since the days of the ultras. Clearly that has turned into softball fascism in the last 15 years

-Six-

Weiner
some tournaments here ban all mikens. we can swing ANY other bat just no mikens. its such a joke.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I was at a game Saturday and there were 2 monster bats on the fence for anyone to use, I just couldn't do it.

I can't do it either. I see Monstas at games occasionally. Its 300'. I'll use my Eastons. I almost equate Monstas with "cheater bats". They're not even fun to swing and it takes no skill to hit balls hard with it. What's the point?

The leagues I umpire don't ban Monstas, but I still don't see any of them. Besides, local CO rec league guys aren't going to go through all the crap or take the time/money to buy a Monsta. Those types of guys want a bat cheap and they want it now. Not some damn preorder that they might get in 6 months.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

I believe your theory is ridiculous and baseless. Independent Labs found several pre-abi Eastons that exceeded the association standards after enough hits. This is a proven fact, unlike your completely baseless assumption about their Nationwide sales figures.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Most of your actual League Directors are city/county/municipality employees and don't have a whole lot of softball equipment background. They really need to rely on the extensive testing done. I hate monsta, don't get me wrong, but if mosta passes the tests and pays its fee to be a USA licensed and legal product its BS they can't be used.

This is true. Trying to reason with a league director is like speaking to someone in a foreign language they don't understand. These people usually have no softball background and are in charge of any number of adult sports. Softball to them is simply another division. They make their own rules with little regard for common sense or what players actually want in a league.

Any GOOD league director will meet with players and discuss rules from time to time, or better yet, learn about softball enough to keep their rule sets current and fair.

Any person who doesn't play softball will generally not have any idea how to run leagues effectively. Hence, you get these bizarre bat rules. A few leagues here banned Mikens for about 15 years before common sense finally prevailed and now they're allowed. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how things are done by these people. They get ideas in their head, and convincing them to do anything outside the box is nearly impossible.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe your theory is ridiculous and baseless. Independent Labs found several pre-abi Eastons that exceeded the association standards after enough hits. This is a proven fact, unlike your completely baseless assumption about their Nationwide sales figures.
Everyone has their opinion..

Older Easton are/were tanks and while some with thousands of hit may or may not pass comp test imo it is safe to say that not every single one if those bats would not pass and again (imo) it is safe to say Easton just crapped in everyone that had perfectly good bats cause (imo) they can't sell their product at msrp..

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not stating opinion, I'm stating a fact, and I didn't say anything about failing compression. They didn't pass the 98 mph bbs test. That's a little different than failing compression whether you want to "feel" that it is it not.

Easton sells the same number of bats retail now as they did on those models that were banned. Extended were $99 before people figured out what they really were. Easton has never minded flooding the market .

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
For a little perspective, the last University study that I saw that references this showed the scn8 flex exceeding the limit once fully broken in. Do you remember anyone saying that was the hottest Easton out of that group? Ever?

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Understood.. I am saying who knows that all/every single one out there are/were broken in!?

Easton certainly wouldn't know, so what was the reason /purpose to have all of their existing product put on the banned list!?

Joker

doesn't matter if they are broken in now or not. that cannot exceed the standard at any point of their life. it is weird these bats were banned though considered there are a lot of bats from that era which most likely exceed 98mph bbs after being broken in

Country469

I think the ridiculous after market prices on them tipped it off so bad they had to move. The market said theses were better than they really were in reality. Sometimes the hype doesn't help a manuf. But I 100% agree there are other pre abi bats that can break in over the limit too that got ignored for some reason.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
I think the ridiculous after market prices on them tipped it off so bad they had to move. The market said theses were better than they really were in reality. Sometimes the hype doesn't help a manuf. But I 100% agree there are other pre abi bats that can break in over the limit too that got ignored for some reason.
It's the bats being over the limit for so long that made it obvious. No other manufacturer made bats that lasted 10-20,000 swings in that era

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
It's the bats being over the limit for so long that made it obvious. No other manufacturer made bats that lasted 10-20,000 swings in that era

This right here. Most of the bats that would exceed the limit aren't still around. Those bats are 12 years old. There were just a few bats from that time frame that were hot (once you go them broken in) and wouldn't break. That's a unicorn now. Most of the other bats from that era that would exceed the limit broke years ago.

These Eastons wouldn't even be considered awesome today because there are only like 12 people who would take the 1000 swings to break it all the way in before they gave up and sold it or traded it for something hotter out of the wrapper.