What qualities do you look for in a new teammate?

BruceinGa

always online
Ok, it winter and time (if not past time) to look for new players for whatever reasons.
Besides skills, what do you look for in a new team member?

I believe that commitment is one of the most important.

What do you think?:confused:

roy

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey Bruce, a good attributes in my opinion is having comradeship and an positive attitude, skills are nice as well.

BruceinGa

always online
Hi Roy!
This has be eating at me for most of the year. Our 50 team had some very good players but the problem was that several only played about 2/3 of the tournaments scheduled. Sure, most gave plenty of notice but it's tough to compete when our best 10 aren't there.

One excuse from a few years ago was that he had to stay home because his grandaugher's neighbor had a birthday party and he had to attend.
So now when a player can't make a tournament one teammate says he probably had to rearrange his sock drawer!

I've now realize that it's important that all on the team should have the same commitment and dedication. If not, there will only be disappointment at some time.

committing to all tourney's is good thing,but not all players have the money to do so,as myself i had to pick and choose last year.i made sure i was gonna make the major ones(and even they were touch and go),but some of the little ones i had to skip.now for the players that just don't go b/c of not wanting to,that is something else.if i can afford to i go........

for other qualities,need to be a team player and go with what the team says is needed.i guess ya need to be able to play the game...:D

leftyodoul

Addicted to Softballfans
Teammates

This is a subject that really strikes a chord with me. Having just gone through a bad experience this past season.
Of course, it is important to have players that are dedicated and committed to the team. But it is unrealistic to believe that every player will commit to every tournament. Afterall, we all have other lives besides softball. If a player will commit to the 4 major tournaments (Reno, NW Championships, Western Nat'ls and Worlds) as well as the majority of local tournaments I am fine with that.
To me, the most important thing is to surround yourself with players who are unselfish and put the team's goals and welfare ahead of their own personal desires and accomplishments. Also, you want guys who are supportive teammates rather than players who throw their fellow teammates "under the bus". You want guys who are good people. Individuals that you enjoy being around whether you are playing or just hanging out having a beer or two.
Selfish, devisive players are a cancer on the team. They will hurt the team on and off of the field.

Miken54

Addicted to Softballfans
Well said lefty those are much more important than having to commit to everything the team ever does.

ENVY

I agree with lefty as well, I had major hip surgery in 2010 and I am lucky to even be able to still play this game and I have had a tough time getting my leg to cooperate with me getting back in the field defensively so as of this past year I mostly EH'd and hit well .650 or better in every tournament. It is hard to get picked up as an EH only but I have found out that teams want someone that is committed and will show up when asked to, I also try and carry as much of a great attitude and positive re-inforcment as possible. It is hard to find tourny players that actually want to play alot of ball... I do believe with the right attitude and personality anyone on any level can play with anybody. I can honestly say for myself that if I had the money too, I could travel anywhere and pick up with any team and not have any issues with anybody, I want to play hard and I wanna win!!

floo56

Addicted to Softballfans
This is an interesting topic! Looking for dedicated players or better skilled players who only show up when they can......This situation can really divide a team and cause chaos! I try to work on my game, fitness and let my play and dedication speak fot itself. People will respect a player giving their all and enjoying this great game! Aloha, Fabe

I also agree that commitment should come first. When you can or dont show up and say your a starting player your kinda letting everyone down.And what I have seen is that a lot of time the guys can't come to a tourney for whatever reason.Then the guy that show's up for every tourney end's up sitting.But the other main thing that bother's me is complaining about every call and fussing about it.To me thats the coach's job.Another thing that I would look for would be a player that dont give up if your lossing it's never over till it's over.When you play on a team and your footing your own money 400-500 for aweekend you expect that everyone give 110% if not why bother even coming.We all have tourney's when you might not be hitting or playing as well as you should those are the times when you need your teammate to be with you.

jrockdog

Splittin Gaps
All I need to see is how someone reacts when they themselves make an error, and then how they react when someone else makes an error. Telling stuff.

superpimp12

First Batch Illuminati
This is sad...

This is terrible... What I'm reading is that these young flakes just become old flakes? I thought I only had to worry about the young guys on my team... Guess I'll deal with it in Senior when I get there:) Good luck finding your guys I know how tough it can be, and you are right about not being able to win without your complete team. I one had a team that was lacking in skills but played with heart and all were committed and we surprised a few big teams at tourneys:)

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Team

I am not able to travel as I still work. As a result I can not play much Senior ball. I try to play as much regular league ball as I can but not a highly skilled player. Also mainly an OF so it gets hard especially on leagues that have crappy fields and lights. Its hard to put a team together when u never know whos gonna show up. People take there commitment to league softball lightly and I have no show and people who end up playing on better teams even after they commit to play for my team. I get tired of it. I will take commitment and and hard play over skillz and uncertainty always......

BruceinGa

always online
Some may have misinterpreted my meaning of commitment. I understand that some may not be able to play in all the scheduled tournaments. My problem is when they say they can play all scheduled tournaments but then during the year have to back out.
If you can't play in 100% of the tournaments say so in the beginning. If the team can't live with that, look for other players that can play 100%. If the team can live with part time player that's ok also. Just make sure that the team has the same expectations about this as you do.

jammoga

Star Player
Team

I agree with you Bruce commitment is tops. I tryed to be up front with all my players in the beginning,don't waste my time and effort if you can't make most of the tournaments. When you invest the time and money that it takes to run a team players need to show up. I can understand you may miss a couple of dates, Vacations,Family events, Death. Don't tell me you are committed and then miss 3 or 4 trips. I will have a hard time playing guys that miss that many games. Attitudes also is another problem, everyone has to be a team player. I have a problem with guys that sit on the bench and pout or complain during the game. If you have a problem come see the coach and get it off your chest don't be a cancer to the team. It sure would be nice to carry only 12 or 13 guys who were very dependable but they are hard to find.

How many tournament dates does someone miss before you cut and hunt someone else???????? I want players that want to play like I do as much as possible.

I hate having to carry extra players to cover for those that are not dependable. Sometimes it seems that some of the best are the worst at not showing.

Some may have misinterpreted my meaning of commitment. I understand that some may not be able to play in all the scheduled tournaments. My problem is when they say they can play all scheduled tournaments but then during the year have to back out.
If you can't play in 100% of the tournaments say so in the beginning. If the team can't live with that, look for other players that can play 100%. If the team can live with part time player that's ok also. Just make sure that the team has the same expectations about this as you do.

the last couple of years,it has been a drain($) on me sometimes to be able to make all tourney's,but i do let the person in charge know that from the beginning.

I agree with you Bruce commitment is tops. I tryed to be up front with all my players in the beginning,don't waste my time and effort if you can't make most of the tournaments. When you invest the time and money that it takes to run a team players need to show up. I can understand you may miss a couple of dates, Vacations,Family events, Death. Don't tell me you are committed and then miss 3 or 4 trips. I will have a hard time playing guys that miss that many games. Attitudes also is another problem, everyone has to be a team player. I have a problem with guys that sit on the bench and pout or complain during the game. If you have a problem come see the coach and get it off your chest don't be a cancer to the team. It sure would be nice to carry only 12 or 13 guys who were very dependable but they are hard to find.

How many tournament dates does someone miss before you cut and hunt someone else???????? I want players that want to play like I do as much as possible.

I hate having to carry extra players to cover for those that are not dependable. Sometimes it seems that some of the best are the worst at not showing.

well if your not gonna sponsor a team,you will have to always deal with the under funded player(been there myself)not showing.i want to play as much as possible,but will not put my family in the hole because of it.they come first and my recreation comes second.........

KYLE00

Banned User
commitment, communication and comradery. I guess I've been kinda lucky to play with my friends for the last 18 years. We have a core of 5-6 guys and pick up a couple young guys. The only thing we ask is if your not going to make it ,CALL. Oh and just have fun cause NOBODY is ever going win every game.

commitment, communication and comradery. I guess I've been kinda lucky to play with my friends for the last 18 years. We have a core of 5-6 guys and pick up a couple young guys. The only thing we ask is if your not going to make it ,CALL. Oh and just have fun cause NOBODY is ever going win every game.

but not 20 minutes before game time,or friday nite at 10 pm for a saturday tourney...........:mad:

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans

Absolutely agree, Bruce. Make a commitment and then, barring extreme circumstances, keep it. Family emergencies and work issues happen, but it shouldn't just hinge on how you feel that week or deciding you'd rather do something else.

Other than that, team players with positive attitudes, who respect the game, the opposition, and the umpires. No bad actors!

18mike

Addicted to Softballfans
Senior softball

Just met with a new 55 major plus team we are putting together.
The overwhelming response was to winning over playing time.

Olden Slow

Addicted to Softballfans
Speking for myself, I am just glad to still be playing. I'm 63 and just recently got back into softball. My rule is " I'll show up on time everytime..I'll play anywhere needed..Won't whine about batting 8th..9th..1st or anywhere in the lineup despite of my skills...Root for my team mates and congratulate the other team on a good play when made. I am playing in Menifee in January and am so excited I can hardly sleep. I will be playing with a group of guys I haven't met yet and I hope they think the same way as I do. One more thing...Have fun but play hard..I'll give everything I have every time I play. Good luck to all for 2012..

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
I understand the commitment part but being new to senior ball I wuld love to play on a team but with work I cant commit to a full schedule so my options are pretty thin as everyone want a player that will play all or most of the tourneys.
I wish there were more ways for someone like me to play more but I understand the teams need people who can play most or all tourney dates.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Yea same thing I said wish here were more leagues that played at night. I wanna play in Long Beach, turned 53 in September, I think I have to wait till next December. One guy was telling me I can play this January but I dont this that is correct. It is a 55 and older league. Does anyone know for sure?????

BruceinGa

always online
Yea same thing I said wish here were more leagues that played at night. I wanna play in Long Beach, turned 53 in September, I think I have to wait till next December. One guy was telling me I can play this January but I dont this that is correct. It is a 55 and older league. Does anyone know for sure?????

Sounds like a local rule. You'll have to check with the league director or someone locally.

blakcherry329

Commitment, good guy/girl(depending on your team:D), talent.

I would rather have a good guy that's committed to the team, than a great player that thinks he's too good for the team and comes when he wants. Been there, done that, not fun, at all.