Things that drive you crazy

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I play in a lot of 50+ leagues and the thing that irks me are as follows: 1) seems like 2/3 of the team needs a pinch runner. It really slows the game down to a snails pace. 2) People don't hustle out to the field which also slows the game down. 3) catcher's having conversations with the umpire instead of quickly getting the ball back to the pitcher. 4) catchers missing every single pitch and having to go back to the backstop to retrieve the ball. We can't start an inning after 60 minutes and we've wasted at least an inning's worth of play with all of these issues.

I umpire a senior league, and to me it can be maddening at times. Everyone needing a pinch runner and a 0-0 count make the games take forever. Half the guys are there looking to walk too.

I'll also add, as an umpire, a team winning the coin toss, choosing home team, and taking 10 minutes to take the field. If a team dawdles too much I'll tell the other team to take the field instead.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
4) catchers missing every single pitch and having to go back to the backstop to retrieve the ball.

This is the exact reason stealing was installed in the SP game. IMO, with all the allowances/special rules and exception to some rules, senior ball isn't real softball

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
out fielder the constantly throw the ball to the wrong base letting the other runners move up.

blakcherry329

As an umpire, guys on really crappy teams who try to take an extra base on every hit. They get thrown out more often than not and whine that I "blew the call". No, bozo. I got the call right. You should have stayed where you were. They don't slide either.

Oh, and guys who are good players but play lousy/lazy in league. If you're not going to put forth the effort, stay home. I'll agree league isn't as serious as a tourny, but it's still a good place to practice stuff.
This is the friggin worse. I rather play with ok players that hustle than All Stars that act like league is beneath them.

jhitman

I umpire a senior league, and to me it can be maddening at times. Everyone needing a pinch runner and a 0-0 count make the games take forever. Half the guys are there looking to walk too.

I'll also add, as an umpire, a team winning the coin toss, choosing home team, and taking 10 minutes to take the field. If a team dawdles too much I'll tell the other team to take the field instead.

These are all valid points. One senior league I play in let's each team bat 2 innings before changing out. They do that for the first 4 innings. It helps a little, but the game is still too slow for me. Might have to go back playing with the young guys again. Was doing that up to 2 years ago and the game moved more like it should move.

jhitman

All of this ^^^

Add: 5) Umps talking to family/friends/spectators when everyone is ready to play. 6) Guys not knowing when they're up to bat and it's the 3rd time through the order.

These are two good ones too. How do you not know who you follow when it's the 2nd or third time around the batting order????? Also, on most of my senior teams it's usually the same batting order most nights. 7) a player coaching a base when it's his turn to bat. It's nice that people volunteer to coach bases as they should, but ask for a base coach a couple of batter's before your AB.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
it drive me crazy when i bite my fingernail too short and then i gotta go to league bowling and it hurts when i throw the ball and makes me want to cry.

blakcherry329

it drive me crazy when i bite my fingernail too short and then i gotta go to league bowling and it hurts when i throw the ball and makes me want to cry.
LOL. I hate when I bite my nails because I think I'm done with softball for the year, then I'm asked to pitch in a tournament. Hard to throw a knuckleball with no nails. lol

jimrat201

Addicted to Softballfans
People who take 20 practice swings before they get in the box and then get in the box hold their hand up for time, push dirt all around then repeat after a ball or strike haha

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
People who take 20 practice swings before they get in the box and then get in the box hold their hand up for time, push dirt all around then repeat after a ball or strike haha

This is a good one. If I'm umping and see guys doing this I tell them to get in the box. When you get 55 minutes per game crap like this slows things down quite a bit.The batter's boxes in our area suck anyway. Pushing dirt around won't do you any good.

SandyWH

#Delicious
I usually throw a pitch the second they step in the box, whether the hand is up or not. All the ump can do is call it "no pitch". I will repeat the action as many times as they want to "reset" the box.

If the umpire is willing to help him out, I will stand there set to pitch until the batter is ready, then when he's ready, I'll walk off the rubber, play with the ball. Talk to my defense, etc.

Country469

Any umpire worth their weight in dog **** is not gonna let you do that, you should tell us more about how cool you are on the internet.

Beauner

Starting Player
1). It's just league night comments. If it is just league night then WTF are you here! 2). Lack of Hustle.. The first is usually the answer to the second.
I hate the "It's just league" attitude of some of my teammates. I'm not paying 80-90 bucks to deal with your slacker attitude. I get it's not the end of the world but I still like winning more than I like losing. I'm not going to blow up middle to try to win a league game, but I'm gonna hustle to beat out the relay throw on a double play etc.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I usually throw a pitch when the ump has his hand up for time because I'm not paying attention to them at all. This is when the batter is ready but the ump continues to hold his hand up longer due some unknown reason

Rooster210

P-Pumpah #1
utrip "pitchers" who cant fake or fake forever and end up walking 5+ of our batters in an inning. TAKE HIM OUT OF THE GAME!!!!!

Country469

It 100% can effect lower level players. I've gotten so many outs on weak ass once hoppers back to me cuz these guys get all anxious when they see fakes and try to hit me. Bring it on.

blakcherry329

I usually throw a pitch the second they step in the box, whether the hand is up or not. All the ump can do is call it "no pitch". I will repeat the action as many times as they want to "reset" the box.

If the umpire is willing to help him out, I will stand there set to pitch until the batter is ready, then when he's ready, I'll walk off the rubber, play with the ball. Talk to my defense, etc.
I do this all the time, especially if they are being ****s about it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys that show up to Bp with full dyes on and even more softball pants and full dye for random Bp sessions
I don't mind that, because I've been playing for awhile and I have some extras, but what cracks me up is the guys that buy the team sub dyes for teams they'd never have a chance playing for. The dudes with the store shirts that look similar to their conference team jersey, Resmondo full subs, etc. Those guys kill me, but they wear them to play in tournies to normally.