Things that drive you crazy

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I don't mind that, because I've been playing for awhile and I have some extras, but what cracks me up is the guys that buy the team sub dyes for teams they'd never have a chance playing for. The dudes with the store shirts that look similar to their conference team jersey, Resmondo full subs, etc. Those guys kill me, but they wear them to play in tournies to normally.

Hah, I love it. The guy with the Resmondo jersey whom nobody knows and who grounds out to the pitcher on a regular basis. I've seen it.

MaverickAH

Things I hate:

Posers
You know....... The guy who buys the latest & greatest. The $400 glove & bat with all of the latest accessories. The guy who then proceeds to stink up the field & then blame it on his equipment right before he continues on his quest to try to purchase a game.

Talkers
Two types:
  1. The guy who talks crap on the field but can't back it up. Sometimes even the guys who can back it up are a PITA.
  2. The guy who loves to regale you with stories of his latest, greatest exploits on the field but yet somehow every time you see him play, he stinks up the field. "Bad game", he says. "Every time I see you, you have a bad game!", you say........:rolleyes:
A**hole Teams
Self explanatory...........

Random "Bad Teammate" Types
The Deadbeat -
Now I don't mind helping out a teammate who's legitimately going through some tough times but don't make it a permanent occurrence. If your having that much financial problems, maybe playing softball shouldn't be on your list of things to do. Either pay your share of the team fees in a timely fashion or get a job, a better job or a 2nd job to cover.
The Alcoholic/Druggie - No explanation needed.........
The Good Time Guy - Softball is secondary. It's just an excuse to get out of the house & away from the wife & kids. He's just there to "turn up!" He doesn't take the game seriously at all. "It's just a game........", so what if he constantly ****s up?
The Gung Ho Guy - Now I like guys who take the game seriously, but this guy is over the top! Every AB, every play is life or death & will determine how the rest of his week goes. He needs to dial it back several notches..........
The Critic - He's the guy that finds fault in everybody else's play. He's always ready to tell you what you did wrong & how you should've made that play. Of course, whenever he f's up it's dead silent though........

Okay, I feel better now...............:p

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Things I hate:

Posers
You know....... The guy who buys the latest & greatest. The $400 glove & bat with all of the latest accessories. The guy who then proceeds to stink up the field & then blame it on his equipment right before he continues on his quest to try to purchase a game.

Talkers
Two types:
  1. The guy who talks crap on the field but can't back it up. Sometimes even the guys who can back it up are a PITA.
  2. The guy who loves to regale you with stories of his latest, greatest exploits on the field but yet somehow every time you see him play, he stinks up the field. "Bad game", he says. "Every time I see you, you have a bad game!", you say........:rolleyes:
A**hole Teams
Self explanatory...........

Random "Bad Teammate" Types
The Deadbeat -
Now I don't mind helping out a teammate who's legitimately going through some tough times but don't make it a permanent occurrence. If your having that much financial problems, maybe playing softball shouldn't be on your list of things to do. Either pay your share of the team fees in a timely fashion or get a job, a better job or a 2nd job to cover.
The Alcoholic/Druggie - No explanation needed.........
The Good Time Guy - Softball is secondary. It's just an excuse to get out of the house & away from the wife & kids. He's just there to "turn up!" He doesn't take the game seriously at all. "It's just a game........", so what if he constantly ****s up?
The Gung Ho Guy - Now I like guys who take the game seriously, but this guy is over the top! Every AB, every play is life or death & will determine how the rest of his week goes. He needs to dial it back several notches..........
The Critic - He's the guy that finds fault in everybody else's play. He's always ready to tell you what you did wrong & how you should've made that play. Of course, whenever he f's up it's dead silent though........

Okay, I feel better now...............:p
Pretty much covers it all

Space_cadet

Star Player
What drives me nuts is getting a teammates "really good" friend to sub and they show up in their custom shirt, pants and hat. Dude, you don't impress us with your weak ground balls and infield pop ups.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
What drives me nuts is getting a teammates "really good" friend to sub and they show up in their custom shirt, pants and hat. Dude, you don't impress us with your weak ground balls and infield pop ups.

Or the "really good" friend that shows up in jean shorts and running shoes, and doesn't even have a glove

Dan240

Addicted to Softballfans
The just turned 21 last week kid that has to be reminded every game that he can't take a beer or cigarette onto the field.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
The just turned 21 last week kid that has to be reminded every game that he can't take a beer or cigarette onto the field.

Haha I'm the guy roaming left field with a cigarette in my mouth making sure I don't knock over my beer

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The bat moochers. People who have been playing the game a decade or more. These people generally don't stink at softball, but for whatever reason are unable to buy their own bat. They continually use everyone else's. To the point they get upset if these people don't bring the bat(s) the moocher wants to swing.

On the other hand, you have the bat whore. This guy usually DOES stink. He has every new bat out and isn't afraid to brag about it. Every tournament he's bringing new bats out. His performance with all these bats is equally poor. He's also the guy who's critical of the bats everyone else is swinging.

Late all the time. Doesn't matter what time the game is, these people will show up 10 minutes late. They then act like its no big deal and get upset when people call them out for their tardiness.

bbaum17

Starting Player
Dudes that hit stadium balls for BP and think they're hot ****. Hit a 52/275 400+ feet then I'll be impressed

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Dudes that hit stadium balls for BP and think they're hot ****. Hit a 52/275 400+ feet then I'll be impressed

I see this too. Guys hitting ZN classic Ms all the time and wondering why they're going through 10+ bats a year. Hitting rocks in BP doesn't make you a better hitter. I hit almost nothing but .52s.

bbaum17

Starting Player
I see this too. Guys hitting ZN classic Ms all the time and wondering why they're going through 10+ bats a year. Hitting rocks in BP doesn't make you a better hitter. I hit almost nothing but .52s.

I try to hit 52's exclusively as well. All the leagues and sanctions in my area only allow 52's so I feel its pointless to practice with anything else that you wont see in a league or tourney.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
250' fields. Either use full sized fields or only allow singlewalls and wood bats.
People not even three quarters running out ground balls.
Or jogging out pop ups.
Dude (righthanded hitting) hit a pop up behind the first baseman in a tournament Saturday. First baseman backpedaled, second baseman shuffled toward it, and the batter walked back to the dugout. It dropped between them and they had time to recover and get him out. It wouldn't have been close if he'd jogged to first. Guy in our dugout said "I don't blame him for not running that out. It was a routine pop up." I said "I blame him. It doesn't take much effort to jog to first and jog back to the dugout."
We played a 250 with stadium balls and unlimited homeruns last month. It was ridiculous.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a routine Pop up that could've been a rally starter. Those free outs are the difference between champs and not almost every tourney.

Country469

Shaved bats are usually the difference in my experience, cuz the team that won always had them and the teams that lost didnt.

blakcherry329

250' fields. Either use full sized fields or only allow singlewalls and wood bats.
We played a 250 with stadium balls and unlimited homeruns last month. It was ridiculous.
  1. On a 250' field why would you need to use Stadium balls. Clinchers would be fine for that distance. smh
  2. WTF is pitching? That's a death wish unless you have catcher's equipment on.

Country469

I'd pitch in that no questions asked. Everyone will either be hitting a hr or popping up trying to. Zero line drives would be hit.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
  1. On a 250' field why would you need to use Stadium balls. Clinchers would be fine for that distance. smh
  2. WTF is pitching? That's a death wish unless you have catcher's equipment on.
We were told that it was supposed to be a regular 300' fence tournament but the parks department didn't take down the 250' fences and wouldn't allow the tournament staff to do it. They already had the stadium balls ordered. There was a middle rule in effect (anything that hit the pitcher on a line, unless he moved to the side after the pitch, was an out; the second time was an ejection; and the third time a forfeit). I don't recall anybody getting hit or close to hit.

I hate 250s and I refuse to change my swing. If I can't hit 250' on a line or squeak a pop up over, I deserve the out.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
250' fields. Either use full sized fields or only allow singlewalls and wood bats.Or jogging out pop ups.
Dude (righthanded hitting) hit a pop up behind the first baseman in a tournament Saturday. First baseman backpedaled, second baseman shuffled toward it, and the batter walked back to the dugout. It dropped between them and they had time to recover and get him out. It wouldn't have been close if he'd jogged to first. Guy in our dugout said "I don't blame him for not running that out. It was a routine pop up." I said "I blame him. It doesn't take much effort to jog to first and jog back to the dugout."We played a 250 with stadium balls and unlimited homeruns last month. It was ridiculous.
how did you ever get/make an out?

96packers

OG Titletown
I play in a lot of 50+ leagues and the thing that irks me are as follows: 1) seems like 2/3 of the team needs a pinch runner. It really slows the game down to a snails pace. 2) People don't hustle out to the field which also slows the game down. 3) catcher's having conversations with the umpire instead of quickly getting the ball back to the pitcher. 4) catchers missing every single pitch and having to go back to the backstop to retrieve the ball. We can't start an inning after 60 minutes and we've wasted at least an inning's worth of play with all of these issues.

All of this ^^^

Add: 5) Umps talking to family/friends/spectators when everyone is ready to play. 6) Guys not knowing when they're up to bat and it's the 3rd time through the order.

I umpire a senior league, and to me it can be maddening at times. Everyone needing a pinch runner and a 0-0 count make the games take forever. Half the guys are there looking to walk too.

I'll also add, as an umpire, a team winning the coin toss, choosing home team, and taking 10 minutes to take the field. If a team dawdles too much I'll tell the other team to take the field instead.

4-3 COUNT !!!! REALLY IS THAT NECESSARY !!!! (probably been stated all ready but didn't read every post)

blakcherry329

We were told that it was supposed to be a regular 300' fence tournament but the parks department didn't take down the 250' fences and wouldn't allow the tournament staff to do it. They already had the stadium balls ordered. There was a middle rule in effect (anything that hit the pitcher on a line, unless he moved to the side after the pitch, was an out; the second time was an ejection; and the third time a forfeit). I don't recall anybody getting hit or close to hit.

I hate 250s and I refuse to change my swing. If I can't hit 250' on a line or squeak a pop up over, I deserve the out.
Oh, ok. that makes it a little less suicidal to pitch. lol