How are you guys playing during the covid era?

blakcherry329

He probably does if he’s near a base runner and while he’s in the batter’s box.
Not necessarily. I see this all the time in stores from, both, customers and employees.
Personally, I think wearing masks on the field is overkill, so I'm not really calling him out. Just the caption and the picture combination. ;)

arther itis

payin' to get paid
:D I hadn’t even noticed that his nose was uncovered until I read your comment.

Gregorius did have his face mask covering his nose during a recent at bat against the Braves. I remember that he hit a grand slam during this at bat.

For the record, I wear a face mask.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I should clarify that I wear my face mask when I know that I’ll be around people in my workplace and at stores/businesses.
To me, wearing it in the field isn't as important for these guys as in their daily life, but i appreciate the effort. The players are one of the most tested populations in the country, but off the field you never know.

Normy

Last beer league game is tomorrow. Our normal season is a 10 week 10 game with double elimination playoffs following. This year it was 7 games without playoffs.

It's actually been a pleasure coaching this year. Minimal dropouts or no show Joe's. Wish we had another months worth of games.

Last edited:

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Last beer league game is tomorrow. Our normal season is a 10 week 10 game with double elimination playoffs following. This year it was 7 games without playoffs.

It's actually been a pleasure coaching this year. Minimal dropouts or no show Joe's. Wish we had another months worth of games.
Our Wednesday night league will end after this week, we had a game/s postponed (double headers) and were supposed to make it up but probably won't happen as it is vs 1st place team and we are 3rd place it wouldn't make a difference in standings if we were to beat them twice so LD likely will not rescheduled.
Seniors leagues ends in 4 weeks with playoffs too follow.

Regular leagues already accepting registration for fallball to start 1st week of nxt month.. we'll see what happens with that with more cases poping up throughout the country, in schools and what not.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

Umping hasn't been bad either. I think guys were just thankful to play after 3 months off. Way less bitching than usual.

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
We still have 3 weeks of the regular season yet to go. We are playing 10 weeks, with double headers each night; then 1 night of playoffs. We have 11 teams in the league so they are splitting us up into 3 tiers of 4 (one tier will have 3 teams). We will be in the top tier. We are still undefeated at 14-0. They will have the 1v4 and 2v4 seed's play; then the winners play each other and the losers play each other.

No fall ball though since we didn't start until the end of June and not finishing until mid-September. It gets pretty cold here in MN late October...

We did play two tournaments. One was a USA sanctioned tournament. We finished T-7th (25 or 26 teams). We had a fun battle with another team in this tournament. We were up 15-5 going into the bottom of 5 and they hit a solo shot to keep going (15-6). Then we put up 9 to go up 24-6 in top of 6. They then put up 11 in the bottom of 6 to keep going again (24-17), and that is how it ended because neither team scored in the 7th. Just a fun game how they kept battling back. We got beat out by a team where we could have had 8 guys in the outfield and they would have found gaps. Just hitting missiles all over the field.

The other we played was a USSSA/USA dual sanctioned tournament. All USSSA rules, but the team could choose USA or USSSA ball. We finished T-13th (32 teams) in that one. The only complaint about that tournament was that we were playing on little league fields. The first field we played on was '265 all the way around and the second was 290' to the corners but came in to 270' in center. We hit quite a few DBO's. Then we started to change our swings and that was our down fall.

We would normally play different tournaments, but obviously this year has been tough.

blakcherry329

:D I hadn’t even noticed that his nose was uncovered until I read your comment.

Gregorius did have his face mask covering his nose during a recent at bat against the Braves. I remember that he hit a grand slam during this at bat.

For the record, I wear a face mask.
Don't get me wrong. I wear a mask, when required(stores and stuff). I just think on the field is overkill, that's all. But everyone needs to do what makes them feel safe.

Normy

We're in a pandemic and Normy's telling all his buddies he's afflicted with plagues and viruses. No friggin' wonder they won't show up.
It's been a full time job just trying to keep the derby boy's around..

Last edited:

Normy

Your buddies keep tossing them in the trash is a sign, bud.
You didn't get it. Virus, Plague, Derby Boy's..

But yeah, compared to the 2000 hit Demon we have, the ol Combats just don't quite measure up. I give ya that.

dunno

South left coast here.
Our governor has worded that currently only "youth" groups may practice or gather.
We seniors still practice in small groups less than 10, albeit unlawfully until we get chased off.
Only to find another lenient field for our socially distanced BP.

r8dr_rider

No Rona from my last 3 tourneys and a few sandlot games. No mask no social distancing. Been about 2 months playing ball.

r8dr_rider

Don't get me wrong. I wear a mask, when required(stores and stuff). I just think on the field is overkill, that's all. But everyone needs to do what makes them feel safe.

I agree. But too many ppl believe the mask is for others safety, not yours. Since when is it my responsibility for your safety?

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Do you remember Pre-Covid how many people in public would openly cough without covering their mouths at all? Mask. But there aren't that many people dying, it's overblown. You knew this was going to be said. We've had 177,000 people die in six months with most of the country wearing masks, staying distanced and a good majority staying home. That's 350,000 in a year. Can you imagine what that number would be if the government hadn't started restricting things?

But it's just the flu....The 2018-2019 flu season killed 34,200 people without any restrictions. We are on pace to kill 10 times that with most of the country shut down for four of the six months and large gatherings pretty much off limits.

I hate the government being involved in making policies like this. I want them to have as little involvement is possible but we have people with no consideration for others, so they have to order people to be respectful of others. If I thought there was a chance that my wearing a mask could prevent some essential worker from getting sick that can't afford to "just stay home" and lives with his elderly mom or grandmother, I should want to do that because I'm a decent person not because the government has to order me to do it.

basilray

Got notice last night that someone in my Monday night league tested positive for COVID after games last week. It sounds like his symptoms were light, but he had enough viral load to test positive.

They're not saying what team, which feels like important info. You have potentially 3 teams involved.

At the beginning of the season, pitchers held on to balls, instead of both teams using a single ball. They're going back to having pitchers hold the ball between innings, and are asking for the opposition not to chase down balls out of play. The infected player is sitting out this week and next.

I'm still planning to play in that league tonight, but wouldn't mind knowing if I did/did not potentially play against that team last week.

My personal view is that by the off chance I come into proximity w/ an infected player, it's a risk I'm willing to take. The chances of transmission in the batter's box or while I'm running bases feels awfully low. Surface transfer from the ball or a bat seems pretty low.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got notice last night that someone in my Monday night league tested positive for COVID after games last week. It sounds like his symptoms were light, but he had enough viral load to test positive.

They're not saying what team, which feels like important info. You have potentially 3 teams involved.

At the beginning of the season, pitchers held on to balls, instead of both teams using a single ball. They're going back to having pitchers hold the ball between innings, and are asking for the opposition not to chase down balls out of play. The infected player is sitting out this week and next.

I'm still planning to play in that league tonight, but wouldn't mind knowing if I did/did not potentially play against that team last week.

My personal view is that by the off chance I come into proximity w/ an infected player, it's a risk I'm willing to take. The chances of transmission in the batter's box or while I'm running bases feels awfully low. Surface transfer from the ball or a bat seems pretty low.
I agree it seems low, but I'm not taking the chance. That's where I'd draw the line. Even if it's just a 2% chance, I'm not taking that chance that I'll give my 2 kids under 8 reduced lung capacity or myocarditis. Confirmed case, I'm out of league play.

r8dr_rider

I agree it seems low, but I'm not taking the chance. That's where I'd draw the line. Even if it's just a 2% chance, I'm not taking that chance that I'll give my 2 kids under 8 reduced lung capacity or myocarditis. Confirmed case, I'm out of league play.

Why play at all If you’re worried about that? How many guys are “asymptomatic” that you don’t know know about? One guy test positive, means there are probably 10 others that have the Rona too.

r8dr_rider

Since when is looking out for people around you a bad thing?
My health is more important to me then yours, sorry. I bet you fell the same way. Look at all the health issues that arise from wearing a mask? Mind you my work requires me to wear a mask. After 10 hours of suffocating, I will not wear one on a diamond.

basilray

Update:

First game tonight was to be against the team with the infected player.

My buddy from Thursday night team was subbing for me tonight. Guys on my Thursday team were not comfortable with us being around a team that had an infected player. The umpire also backed out, so it would have been an un-umpired game against the "infected" team. I pulled out, and our manager didn't think guys would come just for the 9p game, so we cancelled that too.

Lame, but at the end of the day, the risk wasn't worth the reward for low-level church ball