For Sale 2018 Horween Small Batch Easton Program - End of Thread Has Current Model

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Thanks for explanation GloveCowboy; will the future small batch use the Horween Caramel and Horween Harvest Tan as well? will there be a 12.5,12.75, 13, and 13.5 sizes of the Easton Small batch? So i can start saving for one now.
I would like to know this also.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
What is rainbow leather? I have horween gloves, pro preffereds, pro issue Wilson's, etc. they all mold to my hand the more I use them. What are the characteristics of rainbow leather sandals that make them unique?

I have literally never worn a sandal in my life.

https://www.rainbowsandals.com/rainbow-story/history

They are actually pretty comfortable sandals (on my second pair of Bentleys thanks to my beagle) but it does take a bit to get comfortable with the strap between ones toes.

Jchap

https://www.rainbowsandals.com/rainbow-story/history

They are actually pretty comfortable sandals (on my second pair of Bentleys thanks to my beagle) but it does take a bit to get comfortable with the strap between ones toes.
Thanks. It says that the density of the sponge rubber is what causes the sandal to mold to your foot. Not sure how this relates to a leather baseball glove, but I'll just assume I am reading way too much into this.

Gators21

Manager
What is rainbow leather? I have horween gloves, pro preffereds, pro issue Wilson's, etc. they all mold to my hand the more I use them. What are the characteristics of rainbow leather sandals that make them unique?

I have literally never worn a sandal in my life.

Flip flops, brother...that's all we wear in Florida when not at work! Personally, I prefer Cobian!!

milocoman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for explanation GloveCowboy; will the future small batch use the Horween Caramel and Horween Harvest Tan as well? will there be a 12.5,12.75, 13, and 13.5 sizes of the Easton Small batch? So i can start saving for one now.

All gloves in the 2018 horween small batch line with be harvest tan - as Eric refers to it, and caramel only.

We will not discuss upcoming size releases you will have to stay tuned....

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
All gloves in the 2018 horween small batch line with be harvest tan - as Eric refers to it, and caramel only.

carrot.gif

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
These will not be so stiff you cannot game them. They are being tanned by Horween and are made in the Philippines. The 12.25 looks very close to the horween 12.25 we made up a few months ago. Pic attached.View attachment 40656

This pic makes me think the new Easton will be more NP7-ish and less PRo200-ish. That is, will like to close thumb to index/middle rather than thumb to ring finger. But it could be the angle of the pic. What do you say, SB!!!

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?

The suspense is killing me coach! Ok not Coach, but Milocoman. Standing by to stand by

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Sorry fellas. Been busy with 20 different things (and since these 1225's already sold out before the sample arrived, the urgency to post the review ASAP was waived). I'll try to get a review up hopefully by the weekend. But to those that did preorder, you'll be very satisfied based on the sample.

NYC

Swag on 100.
Sorry fellas. Been busy with 20 different things (and since these 1225's already sold out before the sample arrived, the urgency to post the review ASAP was waived). I'll try to get a review up hopefully by the weekend. But to those that did preorder, you'll be very satisfied based on the sample.

Please compare the thickness of the leather to the recent Horweens from Rawlings, if possible.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
288 gloves total different patterns/webs/colors per month.

January SBF Glove - Caramel 12.25" H-web
January BE Glove - Tan 11.5" I-Web

Was talking with a buddy and we were both wondering if the quality of the tan and caramel are the same (feel, texture, thickness...)

Wally Gator

Starting Player
Glovecowboy posted on IG some time ago that the more yellow tan was the stiffest, then tan, then caramel. Might be comparable to old school Rawlings dry tan Horween usually being stiffer than the TL oil treated Horween leather.

mpk

Extra Hitter
Hey Chad,

Got any pics of the 11.5" next to other similar gloves? Maybe a Rawlings pro204 or an a2000 1786? Just curious how the pattern compares to those. Thinking about picking one up just because :).

Party mafia

Any update on the review of the Easton glove SB?

milocoman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Chad,

Got any pics of the 11.5" next to other similar gloves? Maybe a Rawlings pro204 or an a2000 1786? Just curious how the pattern compares to those. Thinking about picking one up just because :).

I do not have that glove in hand any longer it is at Basebeall Express.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Here we go. First off, this review is only for the 12.25" sample at hand and could vary from the actual retail model (or any of the Small Batch releases). Any deviation at any point in the production process can have different results. And please don't quote this post (or the subsequent post so I can put additional photos) so any updates I make I will directly edit here. Pretty busy but I'll be posting more pics (tape and comparisons) over the weekend. Rather than make you guys wait, I'll just revise and add as needed.

LEATHER:

Just to get it out of the way, this is not like the Horween gloves of old.

However, it is closer to that than any of the most recent Horween releases (by Rawlings). The overall glove is more solid and much stiffer all around than the previous Horween HSW 206/207 SBF exclusives. That said, I was told that both Easton and Rawlings have specified that C55 leather (or similar) was used (and to be honest, the shell feel similar in both texture and thickness). As previously mentioned, these Small Batch exclusives will be either Horween Harvest Tan or Horween Caramel (this 12.25 is caramel). Im not 100% sure but I think SBF and Express will be taking turns on leather colors (each monthly release will be one and the other). And I love the smell.

In case you missed it, this is what Glove Cowboy (the head glove guy at Easton responsible for the Small Batch program) had to say about the leather used:

"I like to refer to the two leather options as Horween Caramel and Horween Harvest Tan. They are as stiff as C55, but have slightly more drag. Also this Horween leather that we developed specifically for this program, has great shape memory, which is probably my favorite aspect of both the Caramel and Harvest Tan.

"Think of it this way, have you ever put on someone else's Rainbow sandals? Right away you can feel all the differences caused by the constant molding to a foot that is different than yours - arch height, heel width, pressure points etc.. and you can tell the sandals were molded to fit someone else. Leather sandals have incredible leather memory due to the constant weight and pressure exerted by walking around, creating a unique/custom leather imprint that is specific to that person's foot.

"This is how I like to describe this Horween Small Batch leather. During your first day of catch or mallet work, you will start to feel the leather seep into your hand grooves and develop a precise cast that is specific to only your hand."

HANDSTALL/FINGERSTALLS:

The handstall opening is a 4 loop and the fingerstalls are a good fit (I wear a size L/XL batting gloves). It feels slightly more snug than the 207.

The major differences I would have to say are the hand and finger stalls (the lining leather matches the rest of the glove). I also suspect that there may be something different with the internals (no squishiness here) that may also contribute (but Chad wouldn't let me gut it). As stated by Glove Cowboy, the leather will better conform to your hand overtime for a better fit (and from what I can tell by feel, I expect it to). What I don't know is how the lining material will hold up over time (especially with hand sweat). I'm not a sweaty palm guy, so I'm personally not as particular about the lining as others.

WEIGHT:

My scale has it at 23.2 oz. In comparison, the 207 is 22.7 oz. This supports my theory that something internal is contributing to the overall stiffness. This isn't an issue for me especially if that is the trade for a more structurally sound and solid glove (if 0.5 oz is a problem, I suggest going to the gym).

PATTERN:

The closest pattern I can think of in similarity is the TF21 (I haven't handled the new TDFTHR yet). With a traditional grip, the glove naturally closes thumb to ring. With 2 in the pinky, it's thumb to pinky. This has a deeper pocket than the NP design.

At 12.25" (the tape measurement is true to stamp), this is a good hybrid for baseball and softball. Many softball players may find it too small but if you're transitioning from baseball to softball, this is a good choice. Personally, I could confidently use this at 3rd base (or anywhere in the infield for softball). The palm is a good proportion to the fingers (unlike many Japan-market glove designs with huge palm surface areas) and it is plenty wide. Although only 12.25", there is mid-finger lacing. I don't think it's necessary since the pocket is plenty wide and a softball can fit without gapping the fingers too much (if at all). The mid-finger lacing and web can be loosened as needed to fit your style. The thumb curves away from the web (like a GMP7/70/700) and I'm unsure if that feature is for all Easton glove designs or just this particular model. This design should allow for a wide opening.

The web starts wide at the top and funnels narrower at the web. Both the top and middle cross bars have a consistent 3/8" taper between the tops of the cross bars to the bottoms (4 7/8" ~ 4 1/2" top bar and 4 1/2" ~ 4 1/8" middle bar). The top of the base of the web is 4 1/8". The hole configuration at the web base is similar to that of the DW5.

CONS:

There are only a pair of cons for me: the mid-finger lacing, and the fingers feel a little softer and thinner than the other shorter Easton sample. Neither are deal-breakers for me.

The mid-finger lacing point of return is at a bad location (the same as Rawlings). I've seen too many Rawlings tear at that location. They should have extended it through the other side of the index finger like Wilson (a much more durable location). Structurally, having the lace extend through the index finger allows the leather and structure of the index finger to provide support and stress distribution. As is, the wear and pull is isolated at a small strip of leather approximately only 3/4" long and 3/16" wide. But anyone that knows a simple relace can easily remedy this.

I can feel some separation when I squeeze the finger shell at the index, middle and ring. The first sample I handled (the shorter 11.5") had stronger fingers. Structurally, this is an expected result from the additional length. They should still retain their shape regardless.

CONCLUSION:

I like it. It feels great. Beautiful glove with awesome leather. I'm a skeptic and I don't chase the Horween name but this is one of the better offerings that can live up to that Horween staple. It's different but not in a bad way. For those that found the older Horween too stiff or hard, this is the glove you want. The only way Easton can screw this up is with aesthetics (some of the samples I've seen posted on IG could use improvement but this one is a beauty and the best looking of them all so far IMO) because no matter how functional a glove is, looks do matter as well. If Chad didn't put a buy limit to one, I would have easily purchased multiple. Everyone on SBF should be anxiously waiting for the upcoming 12.75" and 13" Small Batch models.