Anderson Huers General Discussion: The Sequel

frontagerdmaui

White Samoan
Working on a business plan for a shaved ice/dole whip stand. The old snow cone stand shut down here in town, and I'm starting now to be ready for next year. I still have a lot of work to do, but I need help coming up with a name. There are some creative dudes here, so show me what you've got.

PM sent ....

BanjoDan

<font color="#8B3A3A">Finger Pickin' Good</font>
Dan: for what reason did the old ice cream stand close?

The local high school rented it and the profit went to the senior class. IDK why they don't have one, it was always busy. There is an established frozen custard shop(brick and mortar) up the road, and a Culvers.

BanjoDan

I figure I can get this going for under $10k. Now I have to look into all the permits and stuff. And I have to figure out what format to run it as, leaning toward an LLC.

tumblebug

My name is NEO!
I figure I can get this going for under $10k. Now I have to look into all the permits and stuff. And I have to figure out what format to run it as, leaning toward an LLC.

You use a pass through entity (LLC) for very specific reasons but the main issue with a start-up business as an LLC is that you pay taxes on profit regardless of distributions. That means you personally pay taxes on money you reinvest in the business and the taxes are personal taxes along with a corporate tax for simply existing. Take a look at the book below.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Surprisingly-Simple-S-Corp-C-Corp-Explained/dp/0981454208"]Surprisingly Simple: LLC vs. S-Corp vs. C-Corp Explained in 100 Pages or Less: Mike Piper: 9780981454207: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41y1AJ-p3OL.@@AMEPARAM@@41y1AJ-p3OL[/ame]

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
TB ladies and gentlemen. He knows everything
tumblr_m1rkzpHj1n1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

BanjoDan

You use a pass through entity (LLC) for very specific reasons but the main issue with a start-up business as an LLC is that you pay taxes on profit regardless of distributions. That means you personally pay taxes on money you reinvest in the business and the taxes are personal taxes along with a corporate tax for simply existing. Take a look at the book below.

Surprisingly Simple: LLC vs. S-Corp vs. C-Corp Explained in 100 Pages or Less: Mike Piper: 9780981454207: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks, I'll read that tomorrow after work. What would you suggest personally? I'm going to talk to a friend of the family that does taxes/accounting before I settle on anything.

Last edited:

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Thanks, I'll read that tomorrow after work. What would you suggest personally? I'm going to talk to a friend of the family that does taxes/accounting before I settle on anything.

Read up a lot on how taxes will impact you. My wife and a couple friends started up a business as a LLC without really consulting anyone (me included) and instantly owed $800 in taxes or X% of revenue. It killed me that they didn't even consult me, I HAVE AN ACCOUNTING DEGREE!!!!!!! ARGH

BanjoDan

Read up a lot on how taxes will impact you. My wife and a couple friends started up a business as a LLC without really consulting anyone (me included) and instantly owed $800 in taxes or X% of revenue. It killed me that they didn't even consult me, I HAVE AN ACCOUNTING DEGREE!!!!!!! ARGH

Scented PM sent.

So for the big union tourney, I will be pitching against the store I filled in at for two months. **** talking has commenced. Hopefully we win, because I fill in there for a week right after the tourney.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Show 'em who's boss, Dan.

My coed church league team this season...we managed to have a lot of fun despite a 3-9 record. I probably pitched the team to a couple or three of those losses myself, but I did manage to hit .882 (30 of 34, by far my highest average in any season in any league). Every single one of those hits (and the 10 HRs I hit) were had with my RocketFlex, which found its way into the team picture.

2013HopeCoed_zps64e8053b.jpg

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Scented PM sent.

So for the big union tourney, I will be pitching against the store I filled in at for two months. **** talking has commenced. Hopefully we win, because I fill in there for a week right after the tourney.

How did the big union tourney go?

tumblebug

My name is NEO!
Show 'em who's boss, Dan.

My coed church league team this season...we managed to have a lot of fun despite a 3-9 record. I probably pitched the team to a couple or three of those losses myself, but I did manage to hit .882 (30 of 34, by far my highest average in any season in any league). Every single one of those hits (and the 10 HRs I hit) were had with my RocketFlex, which found its way into the team picture.

2013HopeCoed_zps64e8053b.jpg

None of these people have suntans, IJS

krunchyfrogg

It's all in the reflexes
Very similar to fast pitch, only you have to hold the bag until the ball crosses the front edge of the plate.

Interesting. I wonder if more bases are stolen on speed, or if runners take off when the lazy catcher throws a rainbow back to the pitcher.

Totally unrelated: I won tickets through my job to a Somerset Patriots (independent baseball league) game. My hospital is sponsoring the game (fans get a cap with the hospitals logo upon admission). It's this Saturday.

I just found out today that I won the lottery to throw out the first pitch! I captain the softball team, so it's pretty cool and I'm going to wear our jersey. Now I need to decide if I'm going to throw that first pitch overhand or underhand. :) :p

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Typically steals don't happen unless the ball gets to the backstop. I noticed the catcher and 3B not paying attention, and took off. Later in the game, with me on 3rd, we pulled off the old little league double steal--runner on 1st takes off for 2nd, and once the throw went to 2nd I took off for home. That typically doesn't happen either, but the only guy on the other team capable of a strong accurate throw was their SS.

Krunchy, that first pitch better be good. You should hit at least 60 on the radar gun. Even better if you can throw a curveball or knuckler. Regardless, just get it over the plate.

sleepin4matty

Management Material

just to show you how well it can be done...by a girl :D

To give you something to aim for and make you nervous

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
Typically steals don't happen unless the ball gets to the backstop. I noticed the catcher and 3B not paying attention, and took off. Later in the game, with me on 3rd, we pulled off the old little league double steal--runner on 1st takes off for 2nd, and once the throw went to 2nd I took off for home. That typically doesn't happen either, but the only guy on the other team capable of a strong accurate throw was their SS.

No stealing in our league, but we had something similar happen in our one and done city tourney game. I was at first and we had men on 1st (R1) and 2nd (R2) with one out. Grounder to SS, gets the out at 2nd and gets off a bad throw to me at first. I didn't catch the throw but got enough of it that it barely got past the bag behind me. Batter takes off for 2nd as soon as he saw the ball go past me, so I reach back to pick it up and throw it to 2nd (would have been out by a mile). Our 2B catches it and immediately throws home (great awareness) and throws out R2 on a perfect throw and perfect tag. Most convoluted double play of the year but it made it look like we knew what we were doing.

Ended the year with a 1-9 record, which is a side effect of being a middle of the road low-rec team, and the LD deciding to bump US up to mid-rec because we were the last low-rec team to turn in our paperwork and he had to many low rec teams. Never mind that one of the low-rec teams has gone undefeated for 2 years.... Next year we are going to insist on not getting bumped because it really stopped being fun when we were throttled week in and week out.

Last edited:

BanjoDan

How did the big union tourney go?

We took the 8th, and final wildcard spot with a 3-1 record. Playoffs are Monday. And we lost to the store I filled in at. Tight game, but they had some dumb luck go their way several times. It happens.

At the new job I work with a very pretty lesbian, with a smokin' hot GF. Pretty sure I have no chance. :D Life isn't fair.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
We took the 8th, and final wildcard spot with a 3-1 record. Playoffs are Monday. And we lost to the store I filled in at. Tight game, but they had some dumb luck go their way several times. It happens.

At the new job I work with a very pretty lesbian, with a smokin' hot GF. Pretty sure I have no chance. :D Life isn't fair.

Ask if they've ever been photographed by a professional ;) hahahaha