Bat You Wish They Still Made

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
TPS 2004 SB105 Cytalast. I bought it when it came out and still swing it today. There is no mistaking the sound of that bat, and I still turn my head whenever I hear one. This bat will blister one through the infield or drop a bomb when needed. I've told myself that I will hang up my cleats when this finally gives out. I sure hope it has a few good years left in it.

I'd agree with this. I gamed the Catalyst for several years in USSSA. Still have a couple of them. I like them a lot because they're super durable and you can hit hard balls in any weather without worrying about it. Tons of pop for a stiff bat too.

Easton Synergy.... The red and silver one. First swing out of the wrapper was 400ft easy. Dropping bombs like that left and right till it cracked and was still hitting them 350ft with a crack. Returned it to Easton and it had already been phased out. Got some neutered bat and felt like I was cheated.

kidknapp

Addicted to Softballfans
1sr batch synergy..hands down best bat I ever hit with.
LS Genesis SB34 was really close
Ultras 2 were also great sticks

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd agree with this. I gamed the Catalyst for several years in USSSA. Still have a couple of them. I like them a lot because they're super durable and you can hit hard balls in any weather without worrying about it. Tons of pop for a stiff bat too.

Yup. Got mine NIW for $53 shipped. It was listed as a 30/30 and had no pictures, so I thought I'd take a chance. It was he only composite I purchased prior to the change to the thumbprint. I swung plenty of friends from time to time in BP, and never felt the need to own any other composite than the one that I had. I'm not that impressed with it against today's balls when compared to today's bats, but it is definitely still good. I don't think it's gonna blow for many years to come.

I really wish they'd made a 30oz with a thumbprint on it when they re-issued. Of course it sounds like they had the typical quality control issues that come Chinese manufacture.

ser7643

Every day I'm Shuffilin!
OG Frenzy 14" - once they were hot they would hit or out hit any bat out there
OG CNT+ - once broken in they were tanks and very nasty

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Yup. Got mine NIW for $53 shipped. It was listed as a 30/30 and had no pictures, so I thought I'd take a chance. It was he only composite I purchased prior to the change to the thumbprint. I swung plenty of friends from time to time in BP, and never felt the need to own any other composite than the one that I had. I'm not that impressed with it against today's balls when compared to today's bats, but it is definitely still good. I don't think it's gonna blow for many years to come.

I really wish they'd made a 30oz with a thumbprint on it when they re-issued. Of course it sounds like they had the typical quality control issues that come Chinese manufacture.

The RI Catalysts were TERRIBLE. Not even remotely the same feel or pop. I had the red endloaded Catalyst and it broke within 100 swings. Worst USSSA bat I ever wasted money on.

Hiltz

Built for comfort

The RI Catalysts were TERRIBLE. Not even remotely the same feel or pop. I had the red endloaded Catalyst and it broke within 100 swings. Worst USSSA bat I ever wasted money on.

I honestly think there were good and bad batches of the reissue. I've heard multiple stories of guys breaking them quick, but I used my red RI for two full seasons. I hit hard balls in BP with it, hit it in the cold, nothing would hurt it and it was absolutely lights out.

MPT23

Putting on the foil
ASA RD28. An actual re-issue with exact specs of the original. Not a " reimagining " like we just got.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I honestly think there were good and bad batches of the reissue. I've heard multiple stories of guys breaking them quick, but I used my red RI for two full seasons. I hit hard balls in BP with it, hit it in the cold, nothing would hurt it and it was absolutely lights out.

Yeah. Who knows. My red Catalyst had a broken glass feel to it and lasted MAYBE 70 swings. Shattered badly on a classic M in chilly weather one day. Other guys I know who had that bat had the same experience. I haven't owned or even swung a LS since.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^ It's a real shame they didn't get a better handle on the QC with those Chinese RI's. LS makes a good bat. I absolutely love the Backman. I wish they made a one-piece 29.5-30.5oz bat with the same endload as the Backman. I'm trying my first Combat because the Guilt2 actually has a decent endload in it.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
^^^ It's a real shame they didn't get a better handle on the QC with those Chinese RI's. LS makes a good bat. I absolutely love the Backman. I wish they made a one-piece 29.5-30.5oz bat with the same endload as the Backman. I'm trying my first Combat because the Guilt2 actually has a decent endload in it.

You'll probably shatter the Combat within 100 swings.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
You'll probably shatter the Combat within 100 swings.

Hopefully not, but certainly possible. I'm a firm believer that a gentle break-in increases lifespan. I'll start by hitting infield to my dog, then I'll let my wife put 90-100 on it(she doesn't play softball) after that I'll take it to the indoor batting cage that uses .47/400 cork center balls, and take half swings in the cage with all broken balls. If it's still in one piece then it'll probably be just about half broken-in. I put 1000+ on my Psycho before I started to question how much life it had left. Now it's pretty much game only. The Filby came with 100 and got 400-500 more before it became game only. The Backman has to have 1000+ and it still looks good, feels good and sounds good. I'll hit a few in BP with it every week or two. So far I haven't broken any of my comps.(just Wes21's) Of course if it's cool out I'll only swing tough metal bats or the Catty. We also don't play many cool games. This year has been the exception. Still haven't had a game over 100 degrees. Sunday was our first BP over 90 since early spring if not all year. It was also our first BP with the U-trip bucket since the spring and I had forgotten what socks M's become at 90+ degrees.

There are a few bats to note. There is only one bat that Wes21 gave me permission to finish off that took more than 3-4 rounds. His L2 is still kicking after 260 swings of me trying to do it in. It's had light spider webbing, and now it's spider webbed as #€!! And has a few paint chips. It's also a fire stick, and he obviously no longer wants me to break it. Lol.

On the other end, we destroyed an OG Wrath and a Wrath Extended quite rapidly. The OG Wrath was one of the hottest bats we ever swung for the last 100 or so. The Extended was absolutely terrible. When it snapped we found out why. The endload hadn't made it to the endcap. It was about an inch thick on one side of the barrel.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
LOL at the extended comment. I guess sometimes you really get an anomalous bat. A friend of mine had an OG Psycho (grey and black) that was a log. NOTHING we did ever made that bat hit worth a crap. To this day I have no clue what was wrong with it.

I haven't broken a bat since the endloaded red RI Catalyst a couple years ago. I don't BP my Eastons though, so they aren't going through tons and tons of balls. Also, the leagues and tournies I play in use primarily .52 300 balls. I hardly ever hit .44s or classic Ms anymore.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^ yeah, my guess on the Wrath Extended is that they squirt the endload in with the bat standing on its endcap and lean them in some sort of rack. That one must have fallen over and laid on its side until the endload solidified. The other thing about that endload. It was a sticky messy goo. It wouldn't run, but after touching it, it was on me for weeks. I don't know if Mizuno uses a different chemical for their endloads or if that batch wasn't mixed properly and never cured correctly. Whatever the case, that was the last Mizuno that Wes21 bought.

I'm hoping that a gentle break-in and hitting warm M's or .52's when it's cold will allow the Combat to live long enough to enjoy. I know you guys say M's break bats, but Sunday at 90+ they were definitely softer than the one .44/375 in the bucket (had to add that to get 30 balls). In spite of being over 90 degrees, the M's felt harder and flew at least as far as the pluses. Those pluses really do favor more bat speed even if weight and endload are sacrificed. With M's and .44's I almost can't swing a bat so heavy that the lost bat speed reduces distance. The 36oz Clincher EST does cost me distance, but not a lot, and I've hit plenty out by accident while swinging it. Hitting .52's I have to drop to something as light as 30oz Psycho or 28.5oz Filby to get maximum distance. In fact, one of my favorites against .52's is the 30oz Raw Steel. For other balls I wish it was heavier/more endloaded but for .52's it's just right.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
In temps over 90 classic Ms turn into dead mushy pillows. Anything below about 80 and they're rock hard. I don't notice any dramatic differences in distance hitting .52s with light or heavy bats either. Occasionally I'll pull out my 30 oz '15 Kirby (beastly endload) and it mashes balls every bit as far as any 28 oz bat I have.

You must live in a dry climate. In temps of 90 or above with high humidity (FL) classic Ms are the deadest, mushiest balls I've ever hit. You can pick the ball up and squeeze it with your hand.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
In temps over 90 classic Ms turn into dead mushy pillows. Anything below about 80 and they're rock hard. I don't notice any dramatic differences in distance hitting .52s with light or heavy bats either. Occasionally I'll pull out my 30 oz '15 Kirby (beastly endload) and it mashes balls every bit as far as any 28 oz bat I have.

You must live in a dry climate. In temps of 90 or above with high humidity (FL) classic Ms are the deadest, mushiest balls I've ever hit. You can pick the ball up and squeeze it with your hand.

It's very dry here.

StickCollector

I would have to go with the OG Miken Velocit-e. Of course they needed to be broken in, I had a very webby 26oz that was absolute fire. It is still legal, last I checked.

glend123

Addicted to Softballfans
My two favorites were/are Easton SCX23, and Worth JH120. I never swung an Ultra, but I think it was only legal for a week or so.