Good or DB move?

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
So I picked up on a mid level team tonight. We play the game and time expires so we to one pitch. (ASA) I ask if I can catch. As the batter is getting set in the box I'm in the other batters box even with the batter and as the pitch comes in I quickly move back. Now any good player either wouldn't let it bother them or really simply touch me with their bats. But this completely screws up their batters. The second batter is going crazy yelling at the ump after he grounds out to the pitcher. The ump just laughs as he is a ball player too.
So I know that most everyone here wouldn't let it bother them. But I'll put it to you DB or not

ntm1977

Addicted to Softballfans
I would have switched my hands and hit you directly in the face taking all your teeth out and then stood over you and said oops was he standing to close as your bleeding out from your ears

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
This is funny to me. When I came up playing in the game, this was a very common thing. Never really thought anything about it until tonight when the guy threw a fit about it.
Maybe i can turn my douchbaggery around, pray for me

ntm1977

Addicted to Softballfans
Douche bags often hang with other douche bags just tell your mom to stop having kids with her brother, your dad hahaha. See thats how you acted understand.

Dirty.D

Star Player
This is funny to me. When I came up playing in the game, this was a very common thing. Never really thought anything about it until tonight when the guy threw a fit about it.
Maybe i can turn my douchbaggery around, pray for me

Haha we will pray for you. But if you're good and are nice to teammates I would want you on my team. We play in Allen. PM me if you're looking for a team.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never seen this, but will use it as the textbook example of Busch League / DB from now on for sure. You'd have been ejected here.

MaverickAH

There is a batter's box & there is a catcher's box. The two don't overlap so if you're even with the batter, one of you is not where they're supposed to be. The umpire should instruct either the batter to move up or the catcher to move back.

IMHO, the only DB in the scenario you describe is the umpire for not enforcing the rules!

lilhoff

Coach
I think it's on the umpire to enforce this. We allow catchers in our league to stand close to the plate until the pitchers starts his movement, but they understand it's at their own risk. Never had any serious injuries but one guy likes to crouch right behind the plate and trash talk a bit. He's gotten a few taps to the head this year. If it happens once the ump warns him about ejection and he stops. Umps need to be on top of it.

STLCoach

Nobiscum Deus
So I picked up on a mid level team tonight. We play the game and time expires so we to one pitch. (ASA) I ask if I can catch. As the batter is getting set in the box I'm in the other batters box even with the batter and as the pitch comes in I quickly move back. Now any good player either wouldn't let it bother them or really simply touch me with their bats. But this completely screws up their batters. The second batter is going crazy yelling at the ump after he grounds out to the pitcher. The ump just laughs as he is a ball player too.
So I know that most everyone here wouldn't let it bother them. But I'll put it to you DB or not

Ok guy.. This is slowpitch softball, There's no need to move up to the other batters box if you're catching the ball.. That's a good way to get hit if it's an outside pitch and for some reason you forget to move. Just stand behind the plate and catch the ball like the rest of the world does when they catch in slowpitch softball.

zachd

The Veteran
Those catchers that try and call attention to themselves.. like they yell how many outs there are every two pitches and put on a big show for everyone and try and make jokes with the umpire the whole game and try and stick their glove up in the batter's periphery.. those guys are insufferable.

Maybe you aren't that guy but that you would stand in the batters box on ASA league night, that's a DB move for sure and the ump sounds like he's not just a player too but a db too to allow it or think it's funny.

Now if you said utrip tourney... there are really no bounds to the douchebaggery in that arena of play, so I would have a different answer.

Nacirema85

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd almost wonder if this can be considered obstruction as you're up in the batters visual peripheral. I'm sure that it's not, as you didn't physically do anything to impede his swing/or the pitch, but man that's pretty ****ish.

Joker

There is a batter's box & there is a catcher's box. The two don't overlap so if you're even with the batter, one of you is not where they're supposed to be. The umpire should instruct either the batter to move up or the catcher to move back.

IMHO, the only DB in the scenario you describe is the umpire for not enforcing the rules!

I'd almost wonder if this can be considered obstruction as you're up in the batters visual peripheral. I'm sure that it's not, as you didn't physically do anything to impede his swing/or the pitch, but man that's pretty ****ish.

rule has already been cited. the catcher must be in the catcher box

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans

I thought I started a thread on this a while back but I couldn't find it. We had some jackass doing the same thing to us. I read or was told by an ASA certified umpire that as long as he doesn't interfere with the pitch and doesn't cross the front of the plate he can stand where he wants.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
Has anyone ever asked the question "is this a douchebag move or not"?, and the answer was no?

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
I think this would probably throw me, at least if I were the first person you did it to, because i'm totally confused by it. why in the world would a backcatcher be standing in the batters box is beyond me, haha.

i'm just wondering, since I like to step into outside pitches, if you would actually interfere with my swing or not. the only way to be a bigger DB would be to actually hit you, but I can't even imagine this, or how close you'd be as you 'run behind the plate'.

so, why in the world is it legal for the backcatcher to stand in the batter's box? or are you saying you're behind the plate, but so far over they can see you?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
i'm just wondering, since I like to step into outside pitches, if you would actually interfere with my swing or not.

No, because there isn't going to be a swing, because there isn't going to be a pitch, because no pitch is being thrown until the catcher is where he belongs.

ktown808

The Unknowns
images