Having your own balls used against you.

Lynn

Addicted to Softballfans
We play a local league, and have a team that steals our balls. We go look for our homeruns & foul balls after every game, but there is one team who goes & gets them during the game before we get a chance to go look. We asked them if they found any of our balls, & they lied to us & said they didn't. Then the next game that we played them, they threw in 4 of our balls with our team name marked out. Is this cool or not cool. I'd like to hear your all's thoughts.

milesej05

The Rookie
Why don't you tell your players to stop being lazy and have someone who is on the bench go grab them. And after you are done in the field, have your outfielder(s) jump the fence to grab your HR's.

That would make more sense than coming to the boards to complain about it.

sosa2314

Laser show
I have this alot too. People will go get them before we can get out there to grab them. Balls will go in the parking lot and people will just pick them up and put them in their bag or car. People are just petty and have no respect.

Lynn

Addicted to Softballfans
We send our wives & girlfriends to collect them during the game, & this team hollered at them from the outfield saying that they are their balls now & threatened to take them away from them if they got them. Believe me, we don't waste any time to go look for them. It's real growed up behind the fence, & that other team seems to always have someone back there. I asked their coach/first baseman who marked my team's name out, & he said he did. I said I appreciate you giving my balls back after we asked you if you had found any of our's. Which he responded that he would pick up my brother & beat me with him. Real classy in my opinion.

Stretch19

Grow up
any time they threw in a ball with my team name on it, id take it back...if they continue doing this over and over, say something to the director about it

Lynn

Addicted to Softballfans
We wdid take 3 of the 4 balls back. These were basically brand new balls. I pitch for my team, & I knew he'd be shooting middle his next at bat after confronting him. Sure enough he hit a line shot right at my house glancing off of my glove. As he was running to 1st, he said did you get a good look at that one.

Dan411

Star Player
Switch to some Hammers and keep it in the park. Seriously though, that does sound like a bad situation, and very frustrating.

Lynn

Addicted to Softballfans
Hammers as in players, because 3/4 of our team are hammers? Or is the their a Hammer softball? Fill me in on this Nate G.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've seen this go both ways. Around here USSSA/GSL just started making teams supply their own balls. Before that everything was provided. Teams aren't quite used to having to supply their own balls yet. Some teams are vigilant about retrieving them, while others will leave a dozen balls in the weeds after every tournament. I won't take balls during games, but at the end of a tourny I'll often make a sweep around the park and keep what I find. In a month's time I probably found 6 or 7 dozen nice Baden Fires. And yes, I've seen balls with my team's name on them be thrown into games by opponents.

I have zero pity for people who never retrieve balls and then get upset when they see their balls being used by another team later. Go get them or you cede ownership of them.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
If I can't find one or just don't go get it, fair game. But I'd have something to say if they were snatching HR and foul balls before we could get them. Haven't run into this too much in league, mostly because we pay the kids $1 a ball to bring back HR's.

We were taking BP and noticed a guy collecting an armful of our softballs past the fence (while we were hitting, mind you), I chased him down and he acted all pissy that I wanted them back.

cmo27

Local Celebrity
We send our wives & girlfriends to collect them during the game, & this team hollered at them from the outfield saying that they are their balls now & threatened to take them away from them if they got them. Believe me, we don't waste any time to go look for them. It's real growed up behind the fence, & that other team seems to always have someone back there. I asked their coach/first baseman who marked my team's name out, & he said he did. I said I appreciate you giving my balls back after we asked you if you had found any of our's. Which he responded that he would pick up my brother & beat me with him. Real classy in my opinion.

Man up. There is legitimately no way I'd let someone speak to me like that. If I was threatened in that same manner, that guy would be leaving the field in an ambulance.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
for me you've got a few minutes after the game to grab your own balls. to assume you should get it immediately is kind of absurd. if guys throw in our balls we just used with their names on them they are going into the dugout and i'm asking for a new ball until i get one that isn't mine.

Dan411

Star Player
Hammers as in players, because 3/4 of our team are hammers? Or is the their a Hammer softball? Fill me in on this Nate G.
It's kind of a softball fans inside joke. Hammers, as in an Easton Hammer. A really underwhelming softball bat.

bartxe

1st base coach
There used to be a golf course in the middle of a semi rough neighborhood her in town. The 9th hole was a blind tee shot. more than a few times when we would get over the hill there would be a couple kids standing there trying to sell us our balls back.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like you guys aren't hitting your balls far enough if anybody is able to retrieve them.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
Man up. There is legitimately no way I'd let someone speak to me like that. If I was threatened in that same manner, that guy would be leaving the field in an ambulance.

Completely agree. Let the other team know that it's either cooperate or go outside to settle the problem in the parking lot. Seriously what adult idiot team threatens another team and as a team how the hell would you let them intimidate you guys?

sjury

The Old Man
Where the hell do you play that the other team takes your marked balls and doesn't give them back? We have to supply one brand new ball and a few playables for the games. When someone goes and shags balls, it's not hard to keep the ones you hit and toss the others to the other team. AND if anyone talked to our wives or kids like the other team does to yours, it's game on. That crap don't fly.

You're league commish needs to man up and tell all teams to respect each other or get out.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
I love all the tough guys on here. Be a grown up and report them to whoever is in charge. Have the team booted from participation. You don't have to be a badass moron thug to get your balls back. Just rat them out and demand the LD / staff to fix the situation.

DoubleOhWho

Swing what you bring
One of my guys just retrieves as they are hit. Literally will run from the dugout, coaches box or batter's box (if he hits it) and hops the fence in the OF. Kind of funny to watch.

jftx

Addicted to Softballfans
Yea first off our outfield fence is 10 to 14 feet tall so our guys can't climb it.. But we have luxkily don't really have this problem.. I feel if your team doesn't get it before the next game starts it's fair game after they are gone.. We had a team that commonly didn't get their balls Wed find them a few days later at practice and they would try and pull that crap oh it's ours.. No its not yours after you refused to fetch it that day.. But yea pretty shotty if they don't allow you time to get them by the time your game is over