Is the game actually ruined?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The ball won't attract anybody to the game imo. They don't understand the safety and will be negatively impacted by the increased ability needed to hit the ball well. Getting teams to play against teams of similar ability is the best thing you can do for the sport. A local league that does the best job of this is actually growing.

Tourney ball would be a whole different ball game if teams could get into it without getting rolled up right off the get go. I'm curious to see what happens to tourney ball over the next 10yrs when as the same old guys playing each other get burned out, injured, and move on.

That is all very true, but I also played for close to 8 years before I knew jack about balls. Probably didn't know much more about bats at the same time.

I've just seen a lot of guys come out to play, get eaten up by a hot shot or even almost hit, and never come back. I know everyone wants to hit the long ball, and we all love the crack of the bat, but I don't think forcing them to get buzzed all the time is going to keep them coming back either.

TFS #33

Addicted to Softballfans
You want to know what ruined the game it is very simple, CHEATERS and SANDBAGGERS!! People who where swinging Freaks and thought they had to shave them because hitting a 400' homerun wasn't good enough you had to hit it 500' and funny alot of those same people where afraid to play up where they belonged because they new people would call them out for their dirty bats. I think they should make it a simple rule change, go back to 44/375 balls and old school bats like the Flex and Extended and if you are caught swinging a bat that fails compression you are done for 5 years in all associations and if you are caught swinging shaved you are done for life!!! IF YOU CAN'T HIT WITH THAT BAT AND BALL COMBINATION THEN TRY TAKING MORE BP INSTEAD OF CHEATING!!! As far as sandbaggers go quit letting 3 C players play on a D team and so on, if you are rated at a certain level then that is the lowest level you can play at and there is no pettioning down for 5 years from the day you get that ranking and if you finish top 5 in state, nationals or worlds at any time you are not allowed to petitioning down for 10 years from that date. I know this isn't fair to everyone but something needs to be done to fix this game that is falling apart. I am glad I am old and do not have to worry about it for very much longer.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
See........That's the thing. I'm not even wanting a Steele's Skyhawk or Stadium Ball used.........I just want better. A 44/375 or 44/400 ball and a few more homers at the higher divisions. Not at all divisions. Limiting the lower divisions homers and opening up the higher divisions will let people who want to come up and swing away do that, and let teams that don't like the homer or aren't capable of it. Stay down and compete with teams like them. Without having to keep up with teams with home run power playing low.

I think there's room for everyone, if they put enough thought into doing this right. If they listen to the players who play, not the lawyers who lawyer........But, they're too worried about making the game even for every player, instead of making it a game that players want to play.

Chubby_43

Right.......And pitchers weren't crying or bitching. :)

The truth right here... Never heard a pitcher *****, except to himself for leaving that ball in the wrong spot... Hardly ever saw a ball hit up the middle too. unless that guy normally hit that way and no one got into middle wars.. Technology, HR limits, and younger guys today= more middle wars..

Loved my Black and Gold TPS, OG Demarini and my Demolition(Best Double wall metal bat I ever swung)...

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
The truth right here... Never heard a pitcher *****, except to himself for leaving that ball in the wrong spot... Hardly ever saw a ball hit up the middle too. unless that guy normally hit that way and no one got into middle wars.. Technology, HR limits, and younger guys today= more middle wars..

Loved my Black and Gold TPS, OG Demarini and my Demolition(Best Double wall metal bat I ever swung)...

Well..........Pitchers never stood there like a deer in headlights back then. I played with Duane Figeuroa in Hawaii and he'd pitch the ball.....Take 3 huge steps back and get in a fielding positions by the time the ball got the the plate. If you dared to hit it at him, it was most likely an out.......And with two outs or ......How should I say this? With a runner at first and a "less than impressive physical specimen at the plate", he'd be near enough to second to get the force there or turn the two. Huge, huge, huge advantage to have. Let the shortstop and second baseman play so deep in the hole, that got to many more balls and got the outs. Now dudes release the ball and become a target....Then ***** when they get dotted.

Last edited:

Chubby_43

Well..........Pitchers never stood there like a deer in headlights back then. I played with Duane Figeuroa in Hawaii and he'd pitch the ball.....Take 3 huge steps back and get in a fielding positions by the time the ball got the the plate. If you dared to hit it at him, it was most likely an out.......And with two outs or ......How should I say this? With a runner at first and a "less than impressive physical specimen at the plate", he'd be near enough to second to get the force there or turn the two. Huge, huge, huge advantage to have. Let the shortstop and second baseman play so deep in the hole, that got to many more balls and got the outs. Now dudes release the ball and become a target....Then ***** when they get dotted.

True.. They have the 5th Man behind them.. So they tend not to move...

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans

Is this not common where you play? Very very common move IMO

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
So.......You see that a lot huh Sparky? Then you live in a better ball quality place than I do...................IMO

To be honest, I feel behind throwing a strike when you have too, backing up and setting up is most important. Maybe I read it wrong and didn't comprehend it it the way it was meant. Just caught me off guard when you gave such reverence to a basic move.... Around here anyway

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
The fact that pitchers do more than just pitch is lost on many. And those survival skills are lacking as well.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
That's all anyone has ever wanted. The game should be even for everyone. It shouldn't cater to the people with no morals.

As long as there are 100 associations out there then tere will always be catering for those with less morals.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
To be honest, I feel behind throwing a strike when you have too, backing up and setting up is most important. Maybe I read it wrong and didn't comprehend it it the way it was meant. Just caught me off guard when you gave such reverence to a basic move.... Around here anyway

You see a lot pf pitchers be the turn man on double plays? Or be the receiver on the inning ending force at second?

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
You see a lot pf pitchers be the turn man on double plays? Or be the receiver on the inning ending force at second?

Not so much the pitcher taking it themselves to the bag... Or be the receiver on the force play unless the infield and 5 man are back.

As it relates to what you posted and what I bolded and quoted you on however, yea I see most pitchers at least back up. Most break down as well. I myself break down like a hockey goalie after taking two steps back and generally let my 5 man turn the double play or receive the ball for the out. This all is assuming you know what a 5 man is and how to properly play it

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Not so much the pitcher taking it themselves to the bag... Or be the receiver on the force play unless the infield and 5 man are back.

As it relates to what you posted and what I bolded and quoted you on however, yea I see most pitchers at least back up. Most break down as well. I myself break down like a hockey goalie after taking two steps back and generally let my 5 man turn the double play or receive the ball for the out. This all is assuming you know what a 5 man is and how to properly play it

No... Please explain to me the..... 5 man?... Is that right? 5 man?

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
If you've played with a pitcher that does more than pitch, then you will will truly see. A good pitcher is like a good point guard.

deafie

For me it was the excessive rule changes. USSSA this, ASA that, then the grandfather rule taking out, NSA iSA standards, then the balls being changed out.

don't know if im playing ball again.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
With all the talk of the 5 man I will throw this out.
If you had the choice of playing 5 man on defense or getting 2 more hr on offense, which do you choose?

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I just figured that since you're exposed to such a higher level of ball than I am and vastly more talented.........You'd help a newbie out. Thanks for nothing.

I never once said anything about skill, talent, class I play or being better.