Macenko Weighted Bat Drill

Tearitup

Addicted to Softballfans
The website says there is nothing wrong with doing it more than twice a week. I don't know if there would be that much more benefit though. I plan on starting next week again and I'm going to do mwf because it works with my schedule.

I saw that on the website. I was thinking of doing 3x a week myself. We will see how it goes. Going to start this afternoon with mine.

Alrite guys thanx

EightSeven

Addicted to Softballfans
quick question, and im sure its covered somewhere in the 18 previous pages:D...does a 'set' consist of swinging the bat as hard as possible, 10-12 times consecutively?

khenning

↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
I'm starting this tonight. I plan on doing it MWF until the season starts in late April. I just thought I'd share.

Dustin07

Extra Hitter
I would really aim for at least 3 times per week as this is not a bulking type exercise.

I pushed the limits a little bit, but as long as I can get away with it i'm going to keep doing it. I took a 23oz womens bat and put a 16oz donut on it and went to the batting cage. It forced me to put the ball on the sweet spot to miss the donut, and it gave me 25 good weighted swings. Then I mixed it up. 25 swings with just the 23oz, and 25 swings with my regular 27.5oz. I'm going to try to do this 2-3 x's per week.

Big D

In the Batter's Box
I use a big wood louisville slugger and have gradually added donuts until it weighs in at 168 ounces with all of them on.

isn't the idea behind this to swing a heavier bat with your natural swing. thats why he suggests the % defference from your game bat. I would assume your not able to use proper mechanics swinging a 168 oz bat.

WolfPack52

Addicted to Softballfans
isn't the idea behind this to swing a heavier bat with your natural swing. thats why he suggests the % defference from your game bat. I would assume your not able to use proper mechanics swinging a 168 oz bat.

That post is 4 years old.

Phanatic

Addicted to Softballfans
I think you are right about the heavier part but I have been doing it for years and keep adding weight. I really like the bat control on the outside of the plate you get from being able to control a very heavy bat. It seems it is easier to one hand swings when behind in the count and also to reach out with the normal bat and still make good contact. Of course I was never a powerguy so it would not benefit everyone.

Phanatic

Addicted to Softballfans
Also when the umpire says illegal and I reach out with one hand on the bat and smack one through when the fielders are not expecting it. I credit the wrist strength this drill creates.

Big D

In the Batter's Box
I think you are right about the heavier part but I have been doing it for years and keep adding weight. I really like the bat control on the outside of the plate you get from being able to control a very heavy bat. It seems it is easier to one hand swings when behind in the count and also to reach out with the normal bat and still make good contact. Of course I was never a powerguy so it would not benefit everyone.

gotcha it makes since it will create strength. I was more concerned it would greatly mess up your mechanics trying to swing something that heavy like you would in a game.

Phanatic

Addicted to Softballfans
Mike agrees with you about the mechanics part. But if that were completely true then weight lifting would have the same effect if you use heavier weights mechanics would falter. Really I think this is simply softball targeted weight lifting. So just like a power lifter you can increase weight but you must also pay strict attention to mechanics and only increase weight when you have gained control over the current weight level.

One thing I find helps is to concentrate on holding the bat straight level through the swing start to finish. Many people focus on the hitting zone itself but most of us especially myself cannot start from a bad position correct in the middle and end up awkward unless your name is Sheffield.

Use the old rule of thumb never swing a bat that is so heavy you cannot hold it straight out for both arms extended for at least 60 seconds. I was taught as a youngster this was how you tell what bat weight is right. If you cannot hold it straight out for 60 seconds how do you expect to swing it with proper technique during a game or tournament.

I also started dry swinging dumbbells when weights started getting out of hand. Started with 20 pounders now have worked up to 60's. We have some old codgers (Men in Blue) who yell about doughnuts ASA rules and all especially when you have six 28ozers on the bat.

Last edited:

Quall

Star Player
I generally don't swing hot bats in bp because doing so won't help you in the long run. I favor 3dxs and other bats with small sweetspots that make you concentrate.

Man, I could not agree more with this statement... when I am taking training BP (not right before the game) I use a very unforgiving, heavier end loaded bat, then maybe on my last 10 pitches I use a hot bat... It's like someone takes away your bb gun and hands you rocket launcher. It can be tough on confidence at first, who doesn't want to go to the park or cage and just launch bombs, but in the end it helps you much more then just playing HR derby.

I remember reading an article about Carlos Pena, he was slumping and his batting coach told him to stop taking BP out in the park with fences, to go to the tunnel and concentrate on things while training and not just trying to launch HRs. I think its great advice, wish I learned it earlier when I was still playing baseball.

SlapHappy

Addicted to Softballfans
What's the easiest way to add weight to a crappy crappy bat? I have a 30oz bat that is worth almost nothing and want to make it the 36 or 38oz warmup bat. It's already illegal since the paint is flaked out so much...so it's only a BP/warmup bat now. My gamer is a 28oz. Gonna buy a cheapo bat at Walmart or Target for the 20oz bat.

I have a donut but that adds like a pound. Want to add just 6 or 8oz. I thought about lead tape, but that's too expensive. Drill the end and dump sand in there or something? Problem is I don't own a drill or sand.

Quall

Star Player
What's the easiest way to add weight to a crappy crappy bat? I have a 30oz bat that is worth almost nothing and want to make it the 36 or 38oz warmup bat. It's already illegal since the paint is flaked out so much...so it's only a BP/warmup bat now. My gamer is a 28oz. Gonna buy a cheapo bat at Walmart or Target for the 20oz bat.

I have a donut but that adds like a pound. Want to add just 6 or 8oz. I thought about lead tape, but that's too expensive. Drill the end and dump sand in there or something? Problem is I don't own a drill or sand.

Nah, just go grab an adjustable bat weight from your local Sports store. I think its Skillz brand you can reduce it down to about 8-9oz

khenning

↑↑↓↓←→←→BA

I personally went to walmart and picked up a kids 22oz bat. I swing that for the light bat and then add the 16oz ring to make it a 38oz bat for the heavy swings. It cost something like $10.

leadoffbatter

Addicted to Softballfans
slaphappy you might try one of those SKLZ bat wraps they sell at sports authority... it has 4.. 5oz weights on it..which can be taken out as you please..i use this plus other means of weight transfer...on my bats..in doing the heavy to light...exercise...

puddin'72

Addicted to Softballfans

I duct taped two 4 ounce pyramid fishing weights to my 30 ounce bat. You could also duct tape rocks. Mine has not come off, but I do swing away from my house.

WolfPack52

Addicted to Softballfans
Or stick-on wheel weights. Go to any place that balances tires. They mite think your crazy but they can break it down to a .25 of an oz.

mrl112

Smarter than you're
Is it bad to do this on a daily basis? I know that it's recommended for at least 3 times a week, but is there any downside to daily?

leadoffbatter

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah it will keep you sore...but not a bad thing if you are not actually playing games yet...its up to you really... its one of those.. to each his own..kind of things...i started doing it and became addicted...i will be playing next week..so trying to cut down...so the soreness won't interfere with my swing...

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
Is it bad to do this on a daily basis? I know that it's recommended for at least 3 times a week, but is there any downside to daily?

Just want to make sure you don't create an injury that gets worse over time. Let yourself heal and then come back. Most exercises you do you will need recovery time to let the body build that muscle back up. If you can do it and don't get sore or wear yourself out go for it...

Dustin07

Extra Hitter
I've been taking three bats into the cage with me. heavy, game bat, and light bat. Swinging in the batting cages with all three. Sometimes I'll go a round of 25pitches with each bat, and sometimes I'll try to count and stick with 10 pitches. Either way, i've started this year out crushing the ball.

Permacatch

Relegated to 1B
I picked up a 35oz. Adirondack Big Boomer locally for $5, but I gotta find a budget bat that's 22-24oz. for the light swings & I'll be set to try these out.

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah you can find a light bat either at target or wal-mart...or make something from an old bat you no longer use...?

ya...just take of an endcap of something you no longer need or used. Gut out the bat and it should weigh around 20oz's...perfect for the light bat and it'll be 34"s long.