Macenko Weighted Bat Drill

Huber

Nice I was thinking a wood bat possibly but this works better cause my wife needs a new bat so it's a win win :)

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
Yea that was my thought since swining at nothing does cause some soreness....lol going to get back to these once my chute arrives this week.

Did you ever try the chute with this? I use my Chute in season but I'm going to substitute the Chute for the heavy bat...save my shoulder.

dccoach

Part Time Player
Picked up my broom and swung that 10 times, the broom head provides some resistance...think it might work as my heavy...lol...

RickNutt

Starting Player
Just started with this work out and it seems legit, I guess i gotta keep on going to see if i can hit a bit harder lol

1st Baseman

Addicted to Softballfans
Guys, did this for the second time last night and started getting some pain in my elbow when swinging the heavy bat. Anyone else get this and does it go away in with a few more rounds? Or is it likely that I'm doing something wrong? Also, I take it from the responses that we're supposed to do both sides. Is that on the same day? Or do you switch sides when you switch days? It's probably both on the same day.

Okay guys, any help with this elbow thing is appreciated.

I had some elbow problems in the past after extended BP but I also had elbow pain from lifting, mainly triceps exercises; you may want to back track to how the pain got started. I also advise you take a break from lifting and limit your BP until the elbow pain goes away. Try the best known old man's (joke) joint pain remedy...Naproxen, and icing down the elbow after BP of lifting. One other thing, slow down w/ the heavy bat until you can swing w/o pain. That injury will make you hold your swing back and mess up your form; good luck w/ it.

jshaw

Addicted to Softballfans
Watch eBay....picked up a 33/20 oz fast pitch bat for 15.50 shipped. Just an aluminum but it works.

go to play it again sports, or better yet, go to a tag sale and get a little league bat for $5 or less.

leadoffbatter

Addicted to Softballfans
i picked up one of those hollow aluminum bats...drilled a hole through the knob...poured sand into it...taped up the knob...this is what i use for the heavy bat...bat cost me 5 bucks at a yard sale...sand was free from kids sand box....work for me!

just started tonight.couple of questions. since im not gonna be playing til at least January if not march how often should i do it? and some guys said they increased the weight at what point should i add weight? is it ok to start with more then suggested? it says use your game bat last. i use different bats for different leagues so which ? they all weigh the same but swing different more flex end loaded etc. would adding more reps hurt? would doing the drill with a swing away be helpful
thanks

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
Not sure if this has been asked in the last 24 pages, but I tried to look and don't remember seeing it.

When you start to plateau, should you add more reps, or more sets? I know I can add weight on the heavy side, but what should I do for the light side? Bump to 12+reps, or 4+ sets, or both incrementally?

leadoffbatter

Addicted to Softballfans
i just went to doing more heavy set work outs...and started using my game bat as the light bat instead...but i also still put in the light 18oz...occasionally...its enabled me to hit much harder...

g_lightning

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been doing this for about 3 weeks now... And I gotta say that this has REALLY helped my bat speed. I was hittin balls through the infield with much more pace, and line drives were getting to the outfield quickly. This is a great drill/routine that I plan on continuing.

The Predator

Addicted to Softballfans
It is a good routine. All you have to do is do it. Give it a shot and you won't go wrong. I put the program together with a friend of mine. It's not hard to figure out. If you feel like you are starting to plateau, you can change some things in the routine that you feel is good for you. Good Luck.
The Predator

bluejay1

The Great Wantabe
10 swings heavy bat
10 swings light bat
10 swings heavy bat
10 swings light bat
10 swings heavy bat
10 swings regular bat

J-Crank

Addicted to Softballfans
I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I found this routine to be detrimental to my game. Power increased, yes, but my timing suffered something fierce. I don't think I'll try this again. I did it two years ago and my batting avg was much lower than previous and my HRs were down. I just wasn't getting the sweet spot. Last year I didnt do any training at all and kept my timing consistant and has a career best season. Timing > power. With composite bats these days anyone can smoke a ball through the infield or over a 300' fence if they get the ball on the sweetspot. I guess what I am saying is that if you already have decent power and can hit a ball 300' when you make solid contact, then be weary of this routine because it MAY hurt your timing. Why be greedy? 301' is still as much of a HR as 330'. Flame away.

It is a good routine. All you have to do is do it. Give it a shot and you won't go wrong. I put the program together with a friend of mine. It's not hard to figure out. If you feel like you are starting to plateau, you can change some things in the routine that you feel is good for you. Good Luck.
The Predator

hey mike would you ever used this drill if hitting off a tee,i do it this way all the time.

I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I found this routine to be detrimental to my game. Power increased, yes, but my timing suffered something fierce. I don't think I'll try this again. I did it two years ago and my batting avg was much lower than previous and my HRs were down. I just wasn't getting the sweet spot. Last year I didnt do any training at all and kept my timing consistant and has a career best season. Timing > power. With composite bats these days anyone can smoke a ball through the infield or over a 300' fence if they get the ball on the sweetspot. I guess what I am saying is that if you already have decent power and can hit a ball 300' when you make solid contact, then be weary of this routine because it MAY hurt your timing. Why be greedy? 301' is still as much of a HR as 330'. Flame away.

mmm not sure why this would happen to you,do you take regular live bp also.

J-Crank

Addicted to Softballfans
Good point. I don't really take bp. Hard to find time, available fields, or someone to pitch. So I though doing this drill in my basement would be helpful. I guess if I had supplemented with regular bp I would have kept my timing. I now never practice and only swing in games. Seems to work for me as my batting avg and homeruns went way up this way. Softball is 90% mental, so I just keep my head clear, see the ball, and hit the ball. I also hate bp because I am so afraid of hitting the pitcher I end up stepping in the bucket and pulling everything. Messes up my swing.

RT Addict

\m/NEED MORE COWBELL\m/
Changed parameters on drill

Not sure if this has been asked in the last 24 pages, but I tried to look and don't remember seeing it.

When you start to plateau, should you add more reps, or more sets? I know I can add weight on the heavy side, but what should I do for the light side? Bump to 12+reps, or 4+ sets, or both incrementally?
This drill is done off a tee, hitting into a net.

Changed my heavy bat to a 42oz from a 34oz (modified a 28oz PST to 42oz, but same balance as orig.)
Switched Light bat from a 23oz FP to a 26oz TPS XXL
Use a futsal ball (14.3 oz weight) for part of the drill.

warmup / stretch
10 swings with 42oz + futsal ball
10 swings with 26oz + futsal ball
10 swings with 30oz + futsal ball (game weight bat)
5 minute break
15 swings with 30oz + regular softballs (7 oz weight)
1 minute break
15 swings with 30oz + regular softballs
---- stretching.

Just on week two (3-4 times a week as I have plenty of time here in the jungle) and will see how it works out over 8 weeks.

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter
So this drill is ok to do off a tee? And when you guys say swing both ways...you mean on both sides of the plate? I look like a fool swinging on the other side haha.

Linedrive83

Addicted to Softballfans
I started this this morning!
No bat weight yet so just used my 30oz
Light bat is a fp 23oz
Regular was a 27
Was sweating pretty good! Just need a bat weight now!