Macenko Weighted Bat Drill

The Predator

Addicted to Softballfans
I am getting ready to start this program. I have had some success in the past with power hitting. I would like to increase my bat speed. I am hoping the faster bat speed will = more long balls.
Bill

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
When I use the overlap grip I let go at the top

When using a standard grip I do not let go of the bat.

You just have to find something that is comfortable to you and your swing and don't be afraid to try new grips to find the perfect one.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
both hands

Should you follow through with both hands on the bat or release the top hand on follow through?

Both hands. It helps maintain power longer. I've tried the one hand release and felt like I was losing some pop with it. I know when using the overlap grip the top hand can come off easily, but I keep it on the bat throughout the swing.

silverbullet01

I'm a ginger!!!
Dawg is right...

When I use the overlap grip I let go at the top

When using a standard grip I do not let go of the bat.

You just have to find something that is comfortable to you and your swing and don't be afraid to try new grips to find the perfect one.

Every once in a while, my top hand comes off the bat during games, but not too often. When you find a grip that you are comfortable with, stick with it, and use it in BP. I currently hold the bat like Jeff Hall does. I still get enough leverage w/ that grip and having control over the bat at the same time.

Bullet

salvation

Addicted to Softballfans
And You Swing From Both Sides, Correct? Do You Do All Your Sets From One Side First Then All Your Sets From The Other Side?

bpinkley27

Addicted to Softballfans
results

this routine is no joke, started it in october and have seen an increase of 25-50ft on hrs. off of tee in my yard with distances marked. i am now hitting 44-375s 350+, in oct. the best i could do was around 310. i also started a pretty well rounded heavy weight lifting routine around the first of the year. and i do the routine 2-3 times a week. just try it and you wont be sorry.

atlis2004

Outstanding Bad Dealer
I've done similar routines but never this one. How do you guys incorporate this into your lifting? Use this as a warm up? Do it after lifting (seems strange to me) or on off days?

YardSail

Sleepy but dangerous
I also do the swing training on days that I do upper body lifts. If I miss the upper body workout, I still make sure to do the swing drill at least 2x a week. I used the routine before last Spring season and it made a ton of difference.

bpinkley27

Addicted to Softballfans
did a tee workout yesterday and hit a dudley thunder 44/375 390ft (130yds with nikon rangefinder) with no wind with a 2nd batch og syn. i'm 5'10" 170 and the results have not quit for me.

just do it 2-3 times a week and you will not be disappointed

Last edited:

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Both hands. It helps maintain power longer. I've tried the one hand release and felt like I was losing some pop with it. I know when using the overlap grip the top hand can come off easily, but I keep it on the bat throughout the swing.
If you are losing power from letting go with the top hand you are most likely letting go before contact. I was doing that last year at times and it does hurt your swing by letting go too early.

bpinkley27

Addicted to Softballfans
If you are losing power from letting go with the top hand you are most likely letting go before contact. I was doing that last year at times and it does hurt your swing by letting go too early.

where's high ridge mo located in the state, i live near springfield

Carlot bill

Starting Player
Did this today. felt like a good workout. I wanted more, so I did it 1 more time. Was it bad to do it 2 times in one setting? I've been hitting alot lately, and felt like I could handle it...

One question. He says that you should swing a heavier game bat, to get more distance. Any one have any thoughts about this?

Here's what I used today lmk if it was correct or not:

1. "HEAVY BAT": I used a 28oz with a worth 10oz bat sleeve on it. (12swings)

2. "LIGHT BAT": I cut the end off of a previously shaved and cracked synergy flex 28oz. I don't have a way to weigh it, but I know it was lighter. (12swings)

3. "GAME BAT": I used a 26oz and a 26.5oz for second time around. (12 swings).

I did all these in the order he said to do them in. (heavy,light,heavy,light,heavy,game bat)

Do I need to increase my 'game bat' size to a 27or 28 oz?
Opinions are appreciated...lmk

Last edited:

Carlot bill

Starting Player
Did this today. felt like a good workout. I wanted more, so I did it 1 more time. Was it bad to do it 2 times in one setting? I've been hitting alot lately, and felt like I could handle it...

One question. He says that you should swing a heavier game bat, to get more distance. Any one have any thoughts about this?

Here's what I used today lmk if it was correct or not:

1. "HEAVY BAT": I used a 28oz with a worth 10oz bat sleeve on it. (12swings)

2. "LIGHT BAT": I cut the end off of a previously shaved and cracked synergy flex 28oz. I don't have a way to weigh it, but I know it was lighter. (12swings)

3. "GAME BAT": I used a 26oz and a 26.5oz for second time around. (12 swings).

I did all these in the order he said to do them in. (heavy,light,heavy,light,heavy,game bat)

Do I need to increase my 'game bat' size to a 27or 28 oz?
Opinions are appreciated...lmk

light bat was a 23oz, I found out...

Del3030

Addicted to Softballfans
I hit for power anyway, but I started doing this drill a few weeks ago.

FYI - I'm 6'5'', 310 lbs, and can dunk a basketball.

It's still too cold to hit here, but we've been in the cages. Last year, my avg HR was going probably 360-370, not trying to kill it.

Since I've started doing this exercise, 3x a week, I feel so much stronger. I'm hitting the ball in the cages with so much pop- it sounds like a shotgun when the ball hits the wall on the other end of the building!

FYI - I took the endcap out of an old Black Magic, stuffed newspaper upto the barrel, then filled with wet drywall mud. Little more newspaper, and then glued the cap back on. It weighs 4.8 lbs, and is extremely endloaded.

My light bat is a 26oz NRG that's busted, I cut 5 inches off the end. I may start swinging a lighter bat for this, we just picked up a 21 ozer for my wife's co-ed team.

And my gamer is 27oz Freak+. I can't wait to get outside and play and see if I'm hitting it 400+. I really feel like I can now, just want to get out and play.

Carlot bill

Starting Player
I hit for power anyway, but I started doing this drill a few weeks ago.

FYI - I'm 6'5'', 310 lbs, and can dunk a basketball.

It's still too cold to hit here, but we've been in the cages. Last year, my avg HR was going probably 360-370, not trying to kill it.

Since I've started doing this exercise, 3x a week, I feel so much stronger. I'm hitting the ball in the cages with so much pop- it sounds like a shotgun when the ball hits the wall on the other end of the building!

FYI - I took the endcap out of an old Black Magic, stuffed newspaper upto the barrel, then filled with wet drywall mud. Little more newspaper, and then glued the cap back on. It weighs 4.8 lbs, and is extremely endloaded.

My light bat is a 26oz NRG that's busted, I cut 5 inches off the end. I may start swinging a lighter bat for this, we just picked up a 21 ozer for my wife's co-ed team.

And my gamer is 27oz Freak+. I can't wait to get outside and play and see if I'm hitting it 400+. I really feel like I can now, just want to get out and play.

Nice! I would like to see your bombs this year!:eek:

I just got a 27 freak+, also. I like how the 27 is feeling, better than the 26ozers... Last year, my home runs were going only about 305-310...:( But hey, at least I could hit them!

Now I've moved up to 'c', and it is important that I hit harder. I'm hitting at least 4-5 times a week (in the cages too, unfortunately to cold for outside), and doing this drill as well. I guess time will tell. I sure do feel it in my arms and legs!

ohioballer

Addicted to Softballfans
I started this this week and hit for the first time last night I could tell a difference I cant wait to see what 5-6 weeks will do.
I will repost then.

Techwarrior

<font color="#4F94CD">SBF Fund Donor</font>
Just got back from trying this drill today. I only have three bats; a 27oz EL Anti Virus, a 27oz OG Flex, and a 26oz Juggernaut. I also own, what I think is a 8oz or 16oz bat weight (donut) but I'm really not sure which it is. Anyways I put the donut on the 27oz EL AV and used that as my heavy bat. I then used the 27oz flex as the light bat and then my 26oz Juggernaut, which is my gamer. To me the Flex feels lighter than the Juggernaut. I'll keep trying it this way and hope to see results. I worked up a little bit of a sweat doing this drill! I like!

rgm381

<font color="#EE0000">growing older not up</font>
me & my 12 y/o started doing this 2day. me swinging 26 og syn+ with an added 10 oz weight sleeve, sons old tball bat for the light. I need this bad as I hit like **** 2day & felt tired after about 40 swings in bp :eek:

Carlot bill

Starting Player
me & my 12 y/o started doing this 2day. me swinging 26 og syn+ with an added 10 oz weight sleeve, sons old tball bat for the light. I need this bad as I hit like **** 2day & felt tired after about 40 swings in bp :eek:

If u stay with this, it will definitely help, as well as give u confidence at the plate.

Carlot bill

Starting Player
Just by doing the drill? It is a start, but it takes MUCH more. And if you hit it through someone, i.e. right at them and they miss it, find better competition.

agreed.
I use this drill, while in bp. Perhaps this is why I think it gives one more confidence at the plate.

Wayne_Static

I Am Canadian
anyone hurt their lead shoulder doing this? well it's right behind my left shoulder that hurts and when I swing I can feel alittle click, I stopped doing this a week ago and I am going to rest it for a week and half.(if this helps I power lift/weight train 5 days a week and do the speed drills 3 times a week and before I hurt my shoulder I was 3 weeks into it) any info would help on what can I do to take care of it?

BigDude

anyone hurt their lead shoulder doing this? well it's right behind my left shoulder that hurts and when I swing I can feel alittle click, I stopped doing this a week ago and I am going to rest it for a week and half.(if this helps I power lift/weight train 5 days a week and do the speed drills 3 times a week and before I hurt my shoulder I was 3 weeks into it) any info would help on what can I do to take care of it?

Rest, if it continues see a doctor. Do NOT listen to anyone on here who neither has medical training or first-hand knowledge of your condition.