Minnesota Thread

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
I'm pretty disappointed in two things about the USSSA director appointment and people's reactions.

1) There were more qualified candidates, clearly, that are in touch with the game and that's just sad.

2) People's responses making references to how she resembles Einhorn from Ace Ventura or Malcom in the Middles mom comes off really tacky to me.

I hope there is a good resolution so USSSA doesn't take a big hit this year. We plan to participate in both USSSA and USA Softball this year so we really hope we can keep a full tournament schedule and burn ourselves out by Mid June and hate each other until Worlds when we are in Florida and everyone parties with everyone and the olive branches are extended for 2019 roster shaping.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
I'm pretty disappointed in two things about the USSSA director appointment and people's reactions.

1) There were more qualified candidates, clearly, that are in touch with the game and that's just sad.

2) People's responses making references to how she resembles Einhorn from Ace Ventura or Malcom in the Middles mom comes off really tacky to me.

I hope there is a good resolution so USSSA doesn't take a big hit this year. We plan to participate in both USSSA and USA Softball this year so we really hope we can keep a full tournament schedule and burn ourselves out by Mid June and hate each other until Worlds when we are in Florida and everyone parties with everyone and the olive branches are extended for 2019 roster shaping.
I agree with you 100 percent on both things. The second one is a bad look for a lot of people on that post.

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
I agree with you 100 percent on both things. The second one is a bad look for a lot of people on that post.

Right? I don't understand people. If you want to be concerned about her glaring lack of experience in the softball community go for it but everything else makes our state look like whiners. Damn millennials!

If I had any true experience I'd do it. How do you get those jobs? She makes more than I do so I'm interested now. Plus only 30% of the softball community would probably hate me versus near 100% that seems ready to storm her house with pitch forks and torches.

Kenny Powers

Addicted to Softballfans
Right? I don't understand people. If you want to be concerned about her glaring lack of experience in the softball community go for it but everything else makes our state look like whiners. Damn millennials!

If I had any true experience I'd do it. How do you get those jobs? She makes more than I do so I'm interested now. Plus only 30% of the softball community would probably hate me versus near 100% that seems ready to storm her house with pitch forks and torches.

My thoughts on USSSA:
-This appears more like a business decision than anything else.
-Does MNRPA (or whatever the acronym is) even make enough money on Adult slow pitch to even care? This appointment shows me that they do not generate enough ROI to be concerned. Hence, she doesn't need experience in a division that they don't care if it stays or goes.
-If that isn't the case, then those in charge of this appointment are seriously out of touch with reality.
-Either way, I'd love to hear her plans for the next season and beyond in a town hall forum.
-Couldn't the USSSA teams create a paper league in say, Hudson, WI (or another border town) so they can continue playing in national and world events and not give MNRPA any funding? I'm sure USSSA WI would oblige and welcome the funds from a 50 team paper league.
-Otherwise I'd be interested to see what the USSSA contract is with MNRPA (duration, buy-out, etc).

StinkyCheeks

Addicted to Softballfans
Pfeff proposal was that he would kick back to MRPA $5 per team, and $5 per umpire that registered. Also it was a proposal that Scott Brown with be the state director

Right now when you register you pay a fee to the league, say $20 and that goes to the state office. " MRPA, so this is a job that could make some decent money

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
Pfeff proposal was that he would kick back to MRPA $5 per team, and $5 per umpire that registered. Also it was a proposal that Scott Brown with be the state director

I hope Pfeff's proposal doesn't fall on deaf ears. Pfeff has still been the best thing to happen to MN softball since I began playing in 2002. Assuming Brownie wants the role it almost seems like a no brainer. I'm sure nationally it would be well received.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
My understanding is that she pretty much appointed herself to the position. The decision was rubber stamped by the board but she made the choice. I don't know how it is going to work out, but right now I'm not impressed. I've heard nothing about tournaments for the year, other than the Pete Strand Memorial. Nothing about the MN Conference, and considering leagues are going to start in about six weeks it would be nice to know when and where umpire clinics are going to be.

I'd be very interested to know what the contract is, as well as the contract the MRPA has with the City of Brooklyn Park. I know a lot of good umpires that got screwed when D state got moved there and all control of the tournament was given to the City.

There is no USSSA program to speak of in WI. There may be one league in the state, the biggest city that ran USSSA just changed this year to USA. The only sanctioned teams I am aware of are along the IL border and play there.

Beauner

Starting Player
They set it up as unlimited homers because like the HOF Dual tourney the mens Major WS is unlimited as well but unlike those events this event is being played on the huge fields with 52 300's. I think you will see a lot of fly outs unless guys adjust their swings. Also which 52 300's are they using exactly? There are some 52 300's that are stadium like in hardness are they using those or true 52 300 mush....
If I remember right, they used the 52/300 for the Border Battle in Ohio on a baseball field (kinda like the St. Paul Saints stadium) a couple years ago and guys had no issue getting it up and out to left and right field. Obviously the power alley HRs and straight away CF were dead zones for the most part but it'll be interesting to see how they handle hitting the 52s on a full field. Obviously the Border Battle team was the best of the best for the most part, but I'd have to think at least a handful of those guys are on SIS. And as we all know, the 52 will fly just fine if you square it up right.
I'm hardly a bomber and I had no issues lastlast se getting it up and over on 290 and 300 foot fences (last year was the first year I played more ASA than USSSA and I still prefer USSSA).
And those guys on SIS are approximately 50000 times better than me, as those who have seen me play can attest.

Beauner

Starting Player
As for the new director: I don't really know what to say or expect at this point. I love playing USSSA and hope it can continue it's come back in MN. I think Troy had it on the right track, for as much crap as he took (some of it well deserved, some not so much). I think some people are just so adamant that it's gotta be somebody they know (Brownie or Pfeffer) that no matter who else got the job they were going to write them off as a terrible hire.
How do we know this new director isn't actually going to listen to player concerns and take advice from the more respected members in the community? Maybe her coming in with no preconceived notions could be a good thing?

I'm not psyched with the hire either, don't get me wrong, but to immediately trash the decision before she even outlines a plan to the public is relatively foolish too. I'll wait and see and hope like hell that she listens to people giving her good advice about the direction of the program.

thelastsamurai

Addicted to Softballfans
When is everyone getting started this year?

Our first one is Hanover.
We have hit indoors 7 or 8 Friday nights a row maybe? I have never been part of a group so die hard, that seems to be half the battle in Slowpitch.

Hanover is our first as well, maybe play an sro or stadium March early April if weather gets nice?

We have thought about Mound, I like that you get to pick your spot. But three weekends in a row is a lot of ball, don’t want to burn guys out.

mnballer

Addicted to Softballfans
Sioux city for us.. we took out mound and added Mankato in june..

We have been snowed on to many times to keep playing mound

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
I'd like to hit more often, but we've been at every other week since the end of December. Some nights get more guys than others.

I'm hoping we can start hitting outside at the end of March, but who knows. I'd like to see some fly balls before the first tourney.

sjoquist43

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd say its lucky if our squad hits twice inside and once outside before our first tourney. Too busy and nearest places to hit are 45 minutes to an hour away

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
I'd say its lucky if our squad hits twice inside and once outside before our first tourney. Too busy and nearest places to hit are 45 minutes to an hour away
Sometimes that's probably for the best. When I hit too much, I start to fiddle with my swing too much and it goes to ****.

I should stop doing that.

Beauner

Starting Player
I've been going to the cages at least once a week basically since December. Hitting is all I'm at least mediocre at so I gotta keep my swing in shape.

b_u_c_k

Addicted to Softballfans
Any info on hitting at phd? Cost? Do they have 52's to hit, or bring your own? Is it tunnels? Thanks!

Not sure on prices but PHD has two small tunnels and one big one (25-30’ wide). You can easily hit two at a time in the bigger one. I’ve been hitting at least once a week and playing dome ball and I’m not even on a team!

Last edited:

JMac612

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like Flugee got ousted as the UIC and that Pete Strand is the new UIC. Also sounds like the guy from Rosemount will be running the USSSA MN Conference next year.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
I wonder if part of that is Pat being busy with the Chanticlear conference team, and that's why he's not in charge of the MN Conference?

Why would you change the UIC? Seems like everything was fine with that, but I'm not in the know for umping.