Minnesota Thread

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
I would give you my OG mercy, but I will be leaving for the airport in about 30 minutes. I don't think that is going to break...
Recoils are tanks, and this one is pretty well broken in.

Might even have to use it if I hit the tunnels before December (when I hopefully get a new USA bat).

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
Was the idea of giving a fake name that you'd give the fake name, and only the captain you wanted to play with would know it?

I think it was some people being overly worried about winning. There are a few people who tend to brag about their coaching abilities and I believe the guilty party was one of them... whatever gets your rocks off, I guess.

Beauner

Starting Player
We still have league this week. I will be in Dallas on business so my season is over, but we are still playing...
We played our last league night last night. Despite all the rain all day, the Apple Valley infields were in basically pristine condition (the city of AV has a park maintenance guy there from 4ish until games are done so I'm sure he worked his butt off to get them ready). And we got done before the rain started up again. Ended up not being too bad of a night for ball.

I'm flying to Vegas tomorrow for GSL Worlds.
We start Friday morning against a team from Arizona. We'll see how it goes. We play at BLD Vegas so I'm looking forward to that. I'm just hoping my teammates go down there with the intention of winning a couple games not just partying.

Here is the bracket link if anyone wants to follow along. Not sure if these will be streamed or not. We're The Unknown

https://www.usssa.com/slowpitch/eve...=111&divisionID=1977303&bnp=1&bf=1&isWinner=1

EA Sports

Addicted to Softballfans
We played our last league night last night. Despite all the rain all day, the Apple Valley infields were in basically pristine condition (the city of AV has a park maintenance guy there from 4ish until games are done so I'm sure he worked his butt off to get them ready). And we got done before the rain started up again. Ended up not being too bad of a night for ball.

I'm flying to Vegas tomorrow for GSL Worlds.
We start Friday morning against a team from Arizona. We'll see how it goes. We play at BLD Vegas so I'm looking forward to that. I'm just hoping my teammates go down there with the intention of winning a couple games not just partying.

Here is the bracket link if anyone wants to follow along. Not sure if these will be streamed or not. We're The Unknown

https://www.usssa.com/slowpitch/event_gameCenter/?eventID=324139&age=Men's&ageClass=D&option=111&divisionID=1977303&bnp=1&bf=1&isWinner=1
I’m always hesitant about going to Vegas for ball. Too many distractions for some people to be able to ignore. Nothing worse than having hungover people trying to play.

Beauner

Starting Player
How'd the tourney go?
Not well.
We had wayyyyy too many nerves in game one. Gave a very winnable game away with early errors and didn't start hitting until the 5th when our defense had already spotted them a 10 run lead. Once we settled in we outplayed them badly but it was too little too late.

The second game we were mashing the ball but they made every play and then some. And they hit the crap out of it the first couple innings which kinda took the wind out of us.

Definitely would go back again and have a bit better idea of how to approach things now. Those fields play very short.

mnballer

Addicted to Softballfans
Any asa tourneys some where warm in march , April time.?? Texas , vegas, Arizona not really interested in myrtle beach because of the crazy expensive flights there..

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Not well.
We had wayyyyy too many nerves in game one. Gave a very winnable game away with early errors and didn't start hitting until the 5th when our defense had already spotted them a 10 run lead. Once we settled in we outplayed them badly but it was too little too late.

The second game we were mashing the ball but they made every play and then some. And they hit the crap out of it the first couple innings which kinda took the wind out of us.

Definitely would go back again and have a bit better idea of how to approach things now. Those fields play very short.
Lots of good teams there? If you're going to go 0-2, might as well go 0-2 somewhere fun. Next time should go a lot better.

Any asa tourneys some where warm in march , April time.?? Texas , vegas, Arizona not really interested in myrtle beach because of the crazy expensive flights there..
Texas would be my bet. I've seen some advertised for there.

EA Sports

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA isn’t very big down south. There are a few places that have it, but WSL and GSL/Utrip are more popular.

basilray

Best bet for local glove relacing?

I shipped my S2N out to be relaced last year, and once again, didn't snug things up enough so the laces have stretched more than I would like. Also, I'm way too lazy and unskilled to do it myself.

Figure it's a great time to get it done, since I won't touch it until Jan when indoor play starts.

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans

Could fly into Charleston and rent a car. Flights are much cheaper. The drive is only a few hours. My wife and I do that quite a bit when traveling. Can save quite a bit of money, even with the cost of the rental car, if you are willing to drive a few hours.

Beauner

Starting Player
Lots of good teams there? If you're going to go 0-2, might as well go 0-2 somewhere fun. Next time should go a lot better.

Yes there were some really good teams down there. Also some flat out garbage teams that would lose to my league team.

We didn't get much help in our draw by having essentially 0 GSL points for seeding. I believe Lacelle said our standing for USSSA state and USSSA nationals counted toward GSL points but we only won 4-ish games in those two tournaments so we were like the 55th seed out of 64 teams. Hopefully next year she can figure out a way to slap a GSL tag on a couple tournaments too.

It is definitely nice having a DHH but I still hate the inning ending out HR rule with a passion.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Best bet for local glove relacing?

I shipped my S2N out to be relaced last year, and once again, didn't snug things up enough so the laces have stretched more than I would like. Also, I'm way too lazy and unskilled to do it myself.

Figure it's a great time to get it done, since I won't touch it until Jan when indoor play starts.
There's a guy at P5 that does a great job, but I don't know when he's there. He did my glove at Firemen's, and it felt like a whole new glove. Actually took a couple weeks to break back in again. I was pumped about that.

Yes there were some really good teams down there. Also some flat out garbage teams that would lose to my league team.

We didn't get much help in our draw by having essentially 0 GSL points for seeding. I believe Lacelle said our standing for USSSA state and USSSA nationals counted toward GSL points but we only won 4-ish games in those two tournaments so we were like the 55th seed out of 64 teams. Hopefully next year she can figure out a way to slap a GSL tag on a couple tournaments too.

It is definitely nice having a DHH but I still hate the inning ending out HR rule with a passion.
That'd be fun to go do sometime. I've only played outside of Minnesota once, and that was one of the first years I was on a tourney team, and we went to nationals in Missouri. Maybe in the next couple years I'll get out of state to play again.

The IEO home run rule sucks. ISA used to have it up here, and that was brutal. The only time I liked it is if I was going to get burned as an OF, and it just happened to go over the fence. Really set me on the roller coaster of emotions, from "oh ****!" to "oh good!".

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Some of you guys might know...

What's a Monsta that's either balanced or mid-load, but takes some swings to break in?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans

My understanding is that all points for USSSA and GSL are pooled. At least that is how I've been told it is supposed to work. I saw GSL for the first time in Cincinnati, looks like it plays almost the same. The nearest GSL tournaments I know of are in Northern Illinois, they do a whole series that is dual sanctioned using USSSA rules at one and GSL the next.

Beauner

Starting Player
My understanding is that all points for USSSA and GSL are pooled. At least that is how I've been told it is supposed to work. I saw GSL for the first time in Cincinnati, looks like it plays almost the same. The nearest GSL tournaments I know of are in Northern Illinois, they do a whole series that is dual sanctioned using USSSA rules at one and GSL the next.
Lacelle told us at fall state that they weren't counting Pan o Prog (our best finish) or the Burnsville blowout toward the GSL points.
Maybe POP was because MRPA was involved? I can't remember what it was.

GSL is fun. Basically the same as USSSA except the pitching is just 5-10' instead of 3' from release so its probably easier for umpires to call. Same balls (40/325). Same HR rules with the added bonus of DHH which is big when it comes to IEO.

I'd definitely want to go back and play it.

I know Ohio has a massive GSL tournament called the Mojo at the end of March. They get like 280 teams between E D C and open. All turf fields. Games start Friday, 3GG. Would be fun to go play in that.

basilray

Some of you guys might know...

What's a Monsta that's either balanced or mid-load, but takes some swings to break in?

I'd guess a heavier weighted Torch

I have a '16 stiff handled 28oz Torch that I picked up 2nd hand, because, reasons. Was told it had a couple hundred cuts on it, but as much as I do like swinging it, I'm pretty sure after a season of league and a few tournaments, it's still not fully broken in.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
I'll probably get a 26 in something. I've been swinging 27 for a few years, but this Monsta I've been swinging is a 25 and I've had good results. I think it actually weights 26 though.

For games it won't really matter, I can swing any weight and it doesn't bother me too much, but maybe a lighter bat during BP will help with my bat speed.

I swung a 35oz bat our last week of league. Pretty happy I hit it off the sweet spot, or my hands would still be stinging three weeks later.

Beauner

Starting Player
I'll probably get a 26 in something. I've been swinging 27 for a few years, but this Monsta I've been swinging is a 25 and I've had good results. I think it actually weights 26 though.

For games it won't really matter, I can swing any weight and it doesn't bother me too much, but maybe a lighter bat during BP will help with my bat speed.

I swung a 35oz bat our last week of league. Pretty happy I hit it off the sweet spot, or my hands would still be stinging three weeks later.
Buy a Jimmer Stick. Comes in weights between like 2lbs and 20lbs. Can take live BP with it. Builds forearm and wrist strength and will help improve bat speed.

I've got the 5lb one and love it.

wildthing81

Lacelle told us at fall state that they weren't counting Pan o Prog (our best finish) or the Burnsville blowout toward the GSL points.
Maybe POP was because MRPA was involved? I can't remember what it was.

GSL is fun. Basically the same as USSSA except the pitching is just 5-10' instead of 3' from release so its probably easier for umpires to call. Same balls (40/325). Same HR rules with the added bonus of DHH which is big when it comes to IEO.

I'd definitely want to go back and play it.

I know Ohio has a massive GSL tournament called the Mojo at the end of March. They get like 280 teams between E D C and open. All turf fields. Games start Friday, 3GG. Would be fun to go play in that.
I've played in a few times, its at the Berliner complex in Columbus Ohio where the Last chance conference event is played. All turf infields for 32 fields, one of the better complexes in the county. It was brutally cold both times I played lower 30's and high 20's playing against conference teams like Precision, Premier, La famiilga, Mariodi, ect ect. AA and A guys hitting rock hard frozen balls at you....at least in the open..made me question my life decisions playing 3rd and pitching

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
You go play in it, I'll try to figure out a way to make it down to umpire it. I think I know enough of the Ohio guys to get an invite.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
That'd be fun, if it wasn't 30 degrees. I wouldn't go to Albertville to play if it was 30, and I live in St. Michael.

Would like to play out of state sometime in the next couple of years. Could never get enough guys to go to nationals when I was in charge. I haven't played out of state in ages (Utrip nationals in Lee's Summitt).