Minnesota Thread

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
Watched the little "Purcell " blow up..
He got hit in the thigh or middle section pretty good then yelling.. next batter hits a ball on the ground and he fld it and threw the guy out at 2nd.
Looked like reyna kinda put his shoulder down for a little cheap shot..

Purcell always seems to be Involved it something

Purcell fell into the hole and got hit pretty good. Looked like it hurt. The guy just stood on first and didn't say a thing when Purcell was chirping at him. The whole shoulder thing was pretty senseless. Reyna waited for him to get to 2nd as it wasn't a bang bang play. There must have been some sort of history there that wasn't seen or we aren't aware of.

Purcell hit Vitz a few years ago at the Chicago major. Vitz's dad started chirping at Purcell. Purcell started walking at Vitz's dad and Vitz charged at Purcell causing benches to clear. In that case, I believe Vitz was hit a few times already or quite a few balls were very close. I believe what set Vitz off was the way Purcell was talking and walking toward his dad, even though he was yelling at his dad to stop chirping at Purcell.

Beauner

Starting Player
I just happened to be standing there when the guy was running his mouth. Their game was supposed to start at like 6:30. Geno had been telling everyone to be there and ready to play an hour before game time. The game started shortly after 5:30. I noticed a guy walking up the path from one of the teams and he was obviously unhappy about the game starting before he got there. They lost and the manager walked over to HQ and was heated. He did a good job reeling it back in and shook Geno's hand. But a couple guys ran their mouths. Geno walked over and one guy who yelled that Geno should "learn how to run a tournament" turned his back to Geno. Geno approached him and the guy yelled for Geno to get away from his wife and kid... whom he stepped behind when he saw Geno coming. Overall, pretty comical. The manager ended up agreeing that they weren't there at the time they were told.
Well the post on the Facebook page for 6s said to be there 30 minutes before scheduled game time.
I got to TI for our first game Saturday at 2:01pm for our 3pm game and missed the top of the first inning because we had enough to start the game show up a few minutes before I got there.

If things are running way ahead of schedule like that, especially when you have teams that don't start until late afternoon, you gotta keep updating the time.

dunkky

Purcell is trashy. Dont matter how good he is. The guy makes other players and umpire feel very uncomfortable time to time. Time for him to retire.

Bell44

Addicted to Softballfans
Well the post on the Facebook page for 6s said to be there 30 minutes before scheduled game time.
I got to TI for our first game Saturday at 2:01pm for our 3pm game and missed the top of the first inning because we had enough to start the game show up a few minutes before I got there.

If things are running way ahead of schedule like that, especially when you have teams that don't start until late afternoon, you gotta keep updating the time.

I completely agree. Our first game was supposed to be at 11:30 then with the rain they pushed it back and hour and said to be there 30 minutes prior. We hit BP and were driving to the fields to get there between 11:30/11:40. On our way to the field Geno called and said that our game was starting at 11:30 and if we weren't there we would forfeit. We got there at 11:33. Thankfully the game in front of us was just finishing.

The game being talked about above was an evening game. The manager even accepted fault that their guys weren't all there when the Geno told them.

thelastsamurai

Addicted to Softballfans

I agree the communication could have been better. Was there over an hour before our game was suppose to start and had no time to warm up. I much prefer Dakota days, not nearly as spread out with game times and cheaper entry fee/ better payouts

thelastsamurai

Addicted to Softballfans
I do think TI is a nice complex, big fields and seemed in great shape. The sub place is my new favorite restaurant, prime rib sandwich was really good

StinkyCheeks

Addicted to Softballfans
Watched the little "Purcell " blow up..
He got hit in the thigh or middle section pretty good then yelling.. next batter hits a ball on the ground and he fld it and threw the guy out at 2nd.
Looked like reyna kinda put his shoulder down for a little cheap shot..

Purcell always seems to be Involved it something

Purcell blowing up at the dude, for hitting him was uncalled for, he did fall into that hole. You can be pissed all you want, but screaming at the guy for it should have got him tossed. However after that you knew John was hitting middle. Hell he didnt even wait a pitch. Very next pitch was right over the mound, andy fielded it threw to second, it wasnt even close. Kyle Olsen slid in late and dirty. He deserved exactly what he got for that.

My favorite reaction of the whole thing when you go back and watch it is Bryson Baker's, he literally just strolls into the mix about 10-15 second after and just stands there.

dunkky

Kyle Olsen slid in late and dirty

you need to watch it again. it was a normal slide, no hard slide. The guy was running in full speed. Slide was necessary in order to avoid collision with reyna who might attempt to throw 1st for a potential double play. Reyna gave that guy shoulder push for no reason. He needs to have Wegmen visit him again at 2nd base. HIM and Goat.. two mr. attitude. it's known fact.

Beauner

Starting Player
you need to watch it again. it was a normal slide, no hard slide. The guy was running in full speed. Slide was necessary in order to avoid collision with reyna who might attempt to throw 1st for a potential double play. Reyna gave that guy shoulder push for no reason. He needs to have Wegmen visit him again at 2nd base. HIM and Goat.. two mr. attitude. it's known fact.
This is the only post/comment I've seen defending that slide. He slid late and right into Reyna. He had plenty of time to peel out of the base line or slide early. Instead he barreled right into him like a Chase Utley wanna-be.

milesej05

The Rookie
Here is the response from Brian Zirkle who plays on TBD Racks (copy/pasted from John Kings post on FB):

Man some of ya'll sound crazy...We compete week in week out. We all go middle, EVERYONE at some point, not with intent to hurt but to get on base...All pitchers know this at the conference level especially the best USSSA pitcher EVER.

That being said it was 2am, foggy out, the field was sloppy soup and you had to tip-toe thru it the entire game and the lights sucked. KO smoked Andy, Andy said a few choice words cuz it hurt like a mo-fo out of frustration (kinda like when you stub your toe) Then he walked over towards KO and said "Try that again tomorrow that will be an out...."

That squashed it, then the late slide at 2b next play. Luis was not turning 2, KO slide hard n late (****ty field conditions) and tried to pop up from underneath Luis and Luis didn't let him...Then we all hugged each other at 2b...I was about to go top ropes onto Greinert 's back for a ride but opted out...

As far as Andy goes he's the best pitcher in the game hands down and he definitely doesn't care if want to go after him, dudes try every weekend to be the guy who roaches Purcell. He has the best Middle IF and CF in the country . Go middle and it'll be the quickest way to the dugout more times than not...

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
This is the only post/comment I've seen defending that slide. He slid late and right into Reyna. He had plenty of time to peel out of the base line or slide early. Instead he barreled right into him like a Chase Utley wanna-be.

Agree with everything you said. Watch the video again. He did slide late, but he was peeling off and for some reason decided to change his mind, slide late, and go in hard at 2. Who knows why...

dunkky

i don't see it that way at all. not only it wasn't even a dirty slide, it wasn't even a full slide trying to take out Reyna's leg. it was a soft/shy/half slide just enough to impact the play if Reyna attempt to throw 1st for a possible double play. Reyna's reaction wasn't even about slide cuz there's nothing dirty about it. He got pissed because his big brother got hurt.

mnballer

Addicted to Softballfans
I see it as a goodish slide and reyna put his shoulder down.

The slide looked a little like he kinda jump slid into the base.. but nothing to malicious..

mnballer

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone want to play Zimmerman this wknd.. team I am filling in with needs a guy.. pretty much any spot If your decent..

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
hey guys, where can i find the stats? softballcenter only has last year's and the past.

I think this is it: http://web.usssa.com/sports/ConferenceUSSSA.asp?WTD=5&SeasonID=23

Anyone want to play Zimmerman this wknd.. team I am filling in with needs a guy.. pretty much any spot If your decent..

That’s a fun tourney. I haven’t played in it since they split it into upper and lower (that’s not why, just a coincidence). Wish I was available.