Minnesota Thread

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Where is everyone playing this weekend?

I'm hoping to fill in for someone in Hanover, but we'll see how that goes. Might just hit BP instead, since we're going to Moorhead for state next weekend.

Beauner

Starting Player
USA Open State: Ts 13
USA D South: Express
Hanover C: Stagecoach
Hanover D: Heat
USSSA C State: Blueline (if this is actually happening)
Conference: Resmondo

Last edited:

Beauner

Starting Player
Where is everyone playing this weekend?

I'm hoping to fill in for someone in Hanover, but we'll see how that goes. Might just hit BP instead, since we're going to Moorhead for state next weekend.
I got picked up for ASA State in Rochester

wildthing81

After this weekend and this season combined with last season I can say, personally, I don't ever really care if I played USSSA again. It's deader than dead. 6 Gold teams? 37 Silver teams? Are players afraid or getting worse? Both? Really makes not playing incredibly appealing.
Utrip in died the second the USSSA or MRPA named the women who didnt know a thing about softball in charge of its product in MN. You have to be visible, you have to be approachable and you have to be knowledgeable and lastly you need to put on a good product. USSSA does not of that with the current leader. Dan does a fantastic job for ASA, promoting it, being visible, answering questions. Dan was at B nationals last year checking bats, came over to our field to help the umps sort out a 10 minute session to make a call, heck he even stopped in the dugout and we chatted for a bit. It makes all the different. The effort ASA/Dan and organizers but into the events for ASA is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more then done for UTRIP other then the dudley....maybe frolics....Brownie should have been the choice for USSSA in my opinion or some sort of joint venture with PHEFF.

----The Beef I have always had with the frolics is this, they govern by their own set of rules, your approved by USSSA great, your not approved for the frolics. Case and point, anyone who knows my brother (beaver) knows hes not a conference player, my conference team a few years back needed a cheap back up outfielder for a couple tournys. He played ASA with the Key Guys and they were playing in the frolics, USSSA Mn director approved my bro to play on his normal team for the frolics, they were playing C or Open, Frolics and who ever was in charge of roster management ( Kenny, Wanda, Whoever) denied him citing their own rules over utrip. I also had approval to play from the MN utrip director at the time and was turned away by the frolics. This is just one example, there are plenty out there. Just too many examples where UTrip has put on a bad product, put off the customer or just doesnt even give the appearance they care. Fine I've played UTRIP all my adult life basically, Conference USSSA for 4 years and Id rather play ASA at this point in Minnesota.

Beauner

Starting Player
Utrip in died the second the USSSA or MRPA named the women who didnt know a thing about softball in charge of its product in MN. You have to be visible, you have to be approachable and you have to be knowledgeable and lastly you need to put on a good product. USSSA does not of that with the current leader. Dan does a fantastic job for ASA, promoting it, being visible, answering questions. Dan was at B nationals last year checking bats, came over to our field to help the umps sort out a 10 minute session to make a call, heck he even stopped in the dugout and we chatted for a bit. It makes all the different. The effort ASA/Dan and organizers but into the events for ASA is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more then done for UTRIP other then the dudley....maybe frolics....Brownie should have been the choice for USSSA in my opinion or some sort of joint venture with PHEFF.

----The Beef I have always had with the frolics is this, they govern by their own set of rules, your approved by USSSA great, your not approved for the frolics. Case and point, anyone who knows my brother (beaver) knows hes not a conference player, my conference team a few years back needed a cheap back up outfielder for a couple tournys. He played ASA with the Key Guys and they were playing in the frolics, USSSA Mn director approved my bro to play on his normal team for the frolics, they were playing C or Open, Frolics and who ever was in charge of roster management ( Kenny, Wanda, Whoever) denied him citing their own rules over utrip. I also had approval to play from the MN utrip director at the time and was turned away by the frolics. This is just one example, there are plenty out there. Just too many examples where UTrip has put on a bad product, put off the customer or just doesnt even give the appearance they care. Fine I've played UTRIP all my adult life basically, Conference USSSA for 4 years and Id rather play ASA at this point in Minnesota.

In defense of Lacelle, she's been at every single UTrip tournament I've played at and has been actively involved and is super easy to find and talk to and resolve things with.

The Frolics thing isn't something MNRPA/USSSA can control as far as I know so it seems a little unfair to blame Lacelle for something she can't control.

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
What does everyone think of the Twins move picking up Dyson? I think it's a solid move. Personally I wish we would have added another starter. Houston now has Verlander, Cole, and Greinke...probably the best 1,2,3 in baseball and they picked up Aaron Sanchez as well. They are going to be tough to beat.

Maximus Decimus

Slap Hands!
I stopped spending money on the Twins 3 years ago. I wish more people would. It's a scam, they have no intentions of winning. Payroll keeps getting lower.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
What does everyone think of the Twins move picking up Dyson? I think it's a solid move. Personally I wish we would have added another starter. Houston now has Verlander, Cole, and Greinke...probably the best 1,2,3 in baseball and they picked up Aaron Sanchez as well. They are going to be tough to beat.
I wish they would have gotten a starter, but I like this Dyson trade.

Astros are going to win it all. Twins have asked about Grienke, I read, but he wouldn’t waive his no trade to come here. Would have been expensive, but worth it.

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
The Stroman deal is what pissed me off. All of the media said it was joke that we couldn't beat the Mets offer.

That pissed me off as well. According to LaVelle the Toronto said any trade for Stroman would have to include Lewis and Kirilloff, both in baseball’s top 100 prospects, then traded him to the Mets for two prospects not in baseball’s top 100? Wtf...not even in the Mets top 10 prospects. We could have hands down beat the Mets offer. Just a question whether we were willing to part with what they were asking.

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
I wish they would have gotten a starter, but I like this Dyson trade.

Astros are going to win it all. Twins have asked about Grienke, I read, but he wouldn’t waive his no trade to come here. Would have been expensive, but worth it.

The Dyson deal was a very good trade. Especially with what we have up. I just don’t think it was enough to get out of the ALDS, if we make it there. We know the Twins pushed hard for Thor and MadBum. Asking price was ridiculously high for Thor. They wanted Buxton plus Lewis or Kirilloff.

Beauner

Starting Player
I like the Dyson move. Biggest weakness for the Twins was the bullpen. They added two guys who are very good relievers and have been extremely tough in right handed hitters. The Yankees and Astros are loaded with right handed hitters.

The Astros rotation looks incredible, obviously. But the 2014 Tigers had Verlander, Max Scherzer, and David Price. Everyone thought that rotation would win them a World Series. They got swept out of the ALDS. The playoffs are a different animal. Never know what's going to happen.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
The Dyson deal was a very good trade. Especially with what we have up. I just don’t think it was enough to get out of the ALDS, if we make it there. We know the Twins pushed hard for Thor and MadBum. Asking price was ridiculously high for Thor. They wanted Buxton plus Lewis or Kirilloff.
I would have been alright with Lewis and other parts, but not Buxton at all. Kirilloff is going to rake, too. They have a lot of depth in the minors that could have been traded, but teams like the Mets and Cincinnati are pretending like they're still in it, and are screwing everything up.

Like Beauner said, once you get into the playoffs, who knows what's going to happen. The Dyson trade is good because we'll have him next year, too.

Bell44

Addicted to Softballfans
In defense of Lacelle, she's been at every single UTrip tournament I've played at and has been actively involved and is super easy to find and talk to and resolve things with.

The Frolics thing isn't something MNRPA/USSSA can control as far as I know so it seems a little unfair to blame Lacelle for something she can't control.

I think he was talking the State Director, not Lacelle. It seems like Lacelle is trying.

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
I like the Dyson move. Biggest weakness for the Twins was the bullpen. They added two guys who are very good relievers and have been extremely tough in right handed hitters. The Yankees and Astros are loaded with right handed hitters.

The Astros rotation looks incredible, obviously. But the 2014 Tigers had Verlander, Max Scherzer, and David Price. Everyone thought that rotation would win them a World Series. They got swept out of the ALDS. The playoffs are a different animal. Never know what's going to happen.

The Dyson move was great! Only time will tell if it was enough.

I would have been alright with Lewis and other parts, but not Buxton at all. Kirilloff is going to rake, too. They have a lot of depth in the minors that could have been traded, but teams like the Mets and Cincinnati are pretending like they're still in it, and are screwing everything up.

Like Beauner said, once you get into the playoffs, who knows what's going to happen. The Dyson trade is good because we'll have him next year, too.

The Mets definitely screwed up this years deadline. From what I have watched, they think they will contend next year which is why they traded for Stroman. They stole him! Two mid-level prospects for a number 1/2 starter... Wish people would stop complaining that we didn't get Greinke. We never would. The Twins and 14 other teams were on his no trade list. Thankfully Cleveland didn't get him because they weren't on his list. All we can do now is let the season play out.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Looks like there is no C bracket for Harvest Fest. I'm guessing all the C teams just did open state instead.

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw Ziegler, Evan Knutson, Timeout Tavern, D**k raimann, Gringos, Stagecoach, and Pearson are all in the open state bracket

Bell44

Addicted to Softballfans
Looks like there is no C bracket for Harvest Fest. I'm guessing all the C teams just did open state instead.

From what I heard, they were having the C teams play Open State then doing a "C" only bracket on Sunday. So basically two tournaments in one for the "C" teams. Not sure if that's what they went with, but it was talked about last week when we were exploring playing in it.

Bell44

Addicted to Softballfans
USA D South: Willy McCoy's
Hanover D: Skol Marketing
USSSA C State:

Last edited:

wildthing81

I think he was talking the State Director, not Lacelle. It seems like Lacelle is trying.
The Frolic's beef was a response to selfie high five and the lack of open teams in the frolics. My gripes with the Frolics are pretty common with open teams/players. The tourney has been run sub-par for a few years, anything that has Kenny involved is take at your own risk. The our rules over USSSA is a joke and now Becker fields are gone. Is what it is, wasnt a swipe at the MN State Director for utrip. As for Utrip C and above its non-existent, I dont think you can compare where ASA C above is vs Utrip C and above, just my .02

Bell44

Addicted to Softballfans
The Frolic's beef was a response to selfie high five and the lack of open teams in the frolics. My gripes with the Frolics are pretty common with open teams/players. The tourney has been run sub-par for a few years, anything that has Kenny involved is take at your own risk. The our rules over USSSA is a joke and now Becker fields are gone. Is what it is, wasnt a swipe at the MN State Director for utrip. As for Utrip C and above its non-existent, I dont think you can compare where ASA C above is vs Utrip C and above, just my .02

I agree. It sucks that Frolics open was ruined. Kenny doesn't do the tournament any favors.

I mentioned the state director because your comment about hiring someone with little softball experience/knowledge (too lazy to look back for wording). Beauner mentioned Lacelle. I just wanted to point out you were referencing the director, not Lacelle.

I'll shut up now. Good day.

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
USA D South: Brew Crew
Hanover D: Skol Marketing
USSSA C State:

thelastsamurai

Addicted to Softballfans
The bigger issue, if I remember right from that fiasco, was that De was trying to squeeze an ASA C team into the D bracket. She nixed that idea. He threw a ***** fit on social media about it. So then he tried to throw in a team with some of you guys. When she read De's name she said "Nope" and kicked you guys too. My guess is if De's name hadn't been brought up to her from whoever was running your team, you guys would have been fine. As soon as she saw his name she figured "Oh he's just changing names and trying to sandbag a C team in so now they are gone."

I can see where she was coming from. It wasn't handled well but it is what it is.

MN Duct Pros is a USSSA league team. They have Gavin (ASA B) but other than that most of those guys are D players.

Yeah last years panoprog was understandable for sure. I was talking about maybe 5 years ago. We were eagle trace an asa c team that had never really played usssa, we were bumped to asa c the year before with a top 5 finish at state. Seemed to be a combo of Bloomington’s league director had just left and Bloomington is a dual sanctioned league. And then Lucero and others complained about us because we were asa c, then Fenske’s and Whitney’s team were kicked out then they bitched about us still in. I think they had a usssa b player though? Anyway it was a little bit of a sh$t show, and we were disappointed.

StinkyCheeks

Addicted to Softballfans
Hanover C is a Sunday Only. 8 teams were in. Really wish Harvest would just go back to an open tourney. 1 big bracket like 30 teams. That was always fun to watch.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
That was always fun to do. Seems like a lot of those open type tourneys are going away.

They've always had that consolation bracket, too.

bl19

Addicted to Softballfans
USA Open State: T's 13
USA D South: Express
Hanover C: Stagecoach
Hanover D: MN Heat
USSSA C State:

Last edited: