Pitching Gear and Safety

kaerey

Addicted to Softballfans
So in a funny turn of events, wife was pitching, got drilled in the shin, she laughed at me when I got my helmet, now I laugh at her when she limps across the room.

jbandtimtom

I started a separate thread before I found this one. I have been looking into kevlar padding from Unequal Exo, but haven't found any reviews yet. I will probably pick some up and see how they work. They have shirts with padding for chest, shin guards or you can buy the padding in 18" square sheets and form it to whatever you need - shins, knees, chest, whatever in custom sizes. Seems a little expensive ($50 - $90 depending on impact level) but light, breathable, and thin (1/4 inch to 1/2 inch).

If anyone has tried any of this, let me know. I will be getting some soon for my chest and probably shins.

http://www.unequal.com

Waggs14

Star Player
old but ball is about to start.. to bringing this back to light for pitchers to look at. :) good luck everyone and be safe on the mound.

Thomas94587

Addicted to Softballfans
In one tournament, one team was finished and i saw a pitcher took his shirt off... one thing that caught me wondering: hockey shoulder pads (chest too). I havent chance to ask him if its bothersome wearing during pitching or not.

So, wondering if one of you pitcher wore hockey shoulder pads under the shirt, do that bother you during pitching or no?

garzachi

Addicted to Softballfans
hey now...
46877_283244538476786_1248951622_n_zps62c598dc.jpg

155730_283244521810121_752448719_n_zps6d18d018.jpg

521969_283244565143450_217627044_n_zps3f8f369d.jpg

blakcherry329

In one tournament, one team was finished and i saw a pitcher took his shirt off... one thing that caught me wondering: hockey shoulder pads (chest too). I havent chance to ask him if its bothersome wearing during pitching or not.

So, wondering if one of you pitcher wore hockey shoulder pads under the shirt, do that bother you during pitching or no?

Seems like overkill, unless he was protecting an injury.

rocketman98

Starting Player
I have a lacrosse helmet I use. I was excited about it and showed it to some friends of mine and my wifess. The wife of the other couple laughed at me for having it. She pitches some during womens leagues. I told her to pitch coed she thinks it is stupid. She said she was not crazy, so I told her to keep her comments to herself. Has not made fun of me since.

The only problem is finding room in my bag for my helmet. I have a prototype bag and it doesn't fit.

Luda1468

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a lacrosse helmet I use. I was excited about it and showed it to some friends of mine and my wifess. The wife of the other couple laughed at me for having it. She pitches some during womens leagues. I told her to pitch coed she thinks it is stupid. She said she was not crazy, so I told her to keep her comments to herself. Has not made fun of me since.

The only problem is finding room in my bag for my helmet. I have a prototype bag and it doesn't fit.

I wear my combat face off and actually had a few guys during league ask me about it said it was smart. I wear it anytime I pitch not worth taking a shot to the face for a hobby.

garzachi

Addicted to Softballfans

i used a 'd' hook one season and just hooked it on my bat bag...now i just haul mine around with a cold drink inside of it. it also makes a handy pocket at times! :)

Cwhite

Extra Hitter
Great thread! I went to a catchers helmet this year. I can hear a lot of talk behind my back about it. As stated earlier who gives a sh** if others think its a joke! Luckily I caught one right next to the head. The guys I play with now defend my choice when the other guys clown on me. The pictures are what hit home!
I feel it's only going to get worse! Technoligies with bat companies and guys working out just to hit the ball harder and farther.

If you pitch it's only a matter of time until you will get hit!!!

Be safe boys!

SBSWAT24

Manager
Just ordered a pair of motor cross shin guards from six six one they are awesome......hands down cover the knee and just about go to the foot. Evo shield chest protector and reebok catchers helmet. Pitched in the Major this weekend and felt 100% safe. I got hit in vegas with a pair of field hockey guards on and thought I had a broken shin, had to go to ER and have an X Ray. They did not fair well with a direct hit. If you wanna see a helmet in action google the Baugh Ford teams pitcher getting drilled with the Easton Catchers helmet on. Dude shakes it off like nothing.Good luck and be safe on the hill. Brad from Kansas what up kid, you coming to Va Beach to Terrys Tourney ????

kaerey

Addicted to Softballfans
Great thread! I went to a catchers helmet this year. I can hear a lot of talk behind my back about it. As stated earlier who gives a sh** if others think its a joke! Luckily I caught one right next to the head. The guys I play with now defend my choice when the other guys clown on me. The pictures are what hit home!
I feel it's only going to get worse! Technoligies with bat companies and guys working out just to hit the ball harder and farther.

If you pitch it's only a matter of time until you will get hit!!!

Be safe boys!

The league I play in most is very casual city league but there's some old baseball players who can't really control their swing and just drill middle cause they can't really place it. Those are the worse kind of batters for me.

newram05

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^^^ with the guards on? Ouch!

I'm only pitcher in my REC league wearing a helmet. Had a guy last week say from the dugout "hahah I thought only catchers wear helmets! Hahahaha" douch bag! Then they hit middle on me all night. I got more than they got by me!

rejones28

Phat Daddy!
After taking a shot off each shin, I decided to invest in some shin guards. I purchased the lizard skins shin guard body armor and they feel great. They are very comfortable and I forget that I have them on, absolutely no problem running in them. They start just below the knee and go to the top of my high top UA cleats. I was the first in my church league to wear a mask (Rip-It) and now there is a couple of pitchers and fielders that have started wearing them. I will not pitch without protection, PERIOD! I started just wearing the mask straight on my head but know I wear a fitted hat turned backwards, It just makes the mask sit better and a little more comfortable than just straight on the noggin. The lizard skins also make a set of shin and knee guards all in 1 also just didn't feel that I needed knee protection. I will get a picture of the shin guards on and update.

bodyarmor-shin.png

bodyarmor-kneeshin.png

Here are the pics of the shin guards, got some of them off and then on.

F80557C4-E88A-46CE-9CAE-7CE83CD95845-5296-00000655C4C85713.jpg

7E04503D-7DF6-4F0E-A768-437D6DED33ED-5296-00000655BB86015A.jpg

blakcherry329

I have the Broomball ones and I love them took one off the shin friday night and not even a bruise.
Yeah, I was looking at those cuz they are light. I don't wear shorts when I play, so these are a good choice.
Here are the pics of the shin guards, got some of them off and then on.

F80557C4-E88A-46CE-9CAE-7CE83CD95845-5296-00000655C4C85713.jpg

7E04503D-7DF6-4F0E-A768-437D6DED33ED-5296-00000655BB86015A.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I would suggest using the knee pads, also.(no homo:D)

speaking of which, take your hand off your hip for the next pic.:D

Legend 94

Addicted to Softballfans
Seems about time this got back to the top again... Great thread with a ton of info!

Personally I wear field hockey shin guards, a lacrosse goalie chest protector and the Worth Pitchers Mask. Have taken a few rockets off the shin guards and what I've noticed is the field hockey pads tend to deaden the ball as opposed to the ball "ricocheting" off...

rejones28

Phat Daddy!
Yeah, I was looking at those cuz they are light. I don't wear shorts when I play, so these are a good choice.

Thanks for the pic. I would suggest using the knee pads, also.(no homo:D)

speaking of which, take your hand off your hip for the next pic.:D

Just a bad habit, my wife clowns me also about hand on the hip and how I hold my hands when they are dirty.