Pitching Gear and Safety

Bolusu

Addicted to Softballfans
Great info here guys, just got my Worth mask and now I'm thinking about shin guards, I have some cheap soccer ones that I don't even wear. I think I need to get some good ones but with so many options I'm a little lost.

Bolusu

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a pair of motocross shin guards, and then I purchased the D55 Broomball shin guards and I LOVE THEM.

My issue is I never wear pants so I would need something I can take off in the middle of the game if need be, the Broomball's look like something you put on before the game and take off after.

Justice2318

Addicted to Softballfans
My issue is I never wear pants so I would need something I can take off in the middle of the game if need be, the Broomball's look like something you put on before the game and take off after.

Yeah I wear pants so not an issue for me and I leave them on the entire time even if not pitching.

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
Yeah I wear pants so not an issue for me and I leave them on the entire time even if not pitching.

Have you taken any direct hits to the shins? If so, how did they hold up?

A line drive will surely put them to the test vs. getting hit with a broomball/stick.

I'm interested on how they perform under fire.

Justice2318

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes I have taken some off the shin and no problems at all didn't do anything to them or my shin. In fact they do better than my motocross shinguards did as far as shots off the shins go. I do wear some soccer shinguards over top of them to protect the ankle area as the pads on t hem is a little higher and doesn't go down to the top of my shoes.

Justice2318

Addicted to Softballfans
They have a hard plastic shell (kind of like a soccer shinguard) but have a pretty thick foam/rubber underneath the shell and its all covered in fabric.

OldguyinHavasu

Addicted to Softballfans
our pitcher...we just can't talk him into a mask, he says he doesn't have any teeth left anyway, so what's the point?

Gump-Worsley.jpg

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans

I wear my Broomball guards with my pants on and NEVER have had any issues with them even when running and etc, they are GTG.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
I used to think guys who wore leg guards are dumb... Not anymore. Gear up boys and go home to your kids afterwards

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
For heavens sake gear up guys....I've been lucky - only twice did I feel like I was vunerable...one time years ago @ Twin Creeks (CA) was pitching and had one hit that was above my left shoulder - hit my glove hard but kept going and was caught on a fly in the outfield....could have been a head shot - one time this year (all ages - college players included use senior bats and Baden Fire balls....was playing third and the ball was past me before I threw the glove up - I don't know whether I was glancing away from the field or looking away from the hitter but I do know that if it clocked me that might have been it for me).......

I know some guys that pitch use some sort of a heart protector/plate/absorber so if hit there the heart won't stop - might be something else to think about.....

Last edited:

1st Baseman

Addicted to Softballfans
Heartguard

For heavens sake gear up guys....I've been lucky - only twice did I feel like I was vunerable...one time years ago @ Twin Creeks (CA) was pitching and had one hit that was above my left shoulder - hit my glove hard but kept going and was caught on a fly in the outfield....could have been a head shot - one time this year (all ages - college players included use senior bats and Baden Fire balls....was playing third and the ball was past me before I threw the glove up - I don't know whether I was glancing away from the field or looking away from the hitter but I do know that if it clocked me that might have been it for me).......

I know some guys that pitch use some sort of a heart protector/plate/absorber so if hit there the heart won't stop - might be something else to think about.....

I wear one, won't pitch w/o it... The one I have goes in a stretch t-shirt (it has a pocket, sort of like he compression shorts w/ cups), u don't even notice you got it on...

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
I used to think guys who wore leg guards are dumb... Not anymore. Gear up boys and go home to your kids afterwards

I started this after the dude that replaced me when my youngest was born, got busted in one of his shins and was on crutches for a few weeks.

crdawg2521

I love these things...very, very light and full shin/knee protection. I've taken a direct hit to the knee cap...didn't feel it. And a couple shots to the shins and again never felt it.

I wouldn't be walking today if I didn't have those on when I got drilled.

bodyarmor-kneeshin_1024x1024.png

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was going to get those, but I still wear my brace from my ACL repair and that didn't work with the knee coverage. I just have to hope I can avoid a direct shot to my right kneecap.

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey guys, if you are looking for a mask. I have a few combat face off masks. Still in the box, only worn in one round of bp. Looking to get $40 after shipped, $80 sticker value. Shoot me a pm..

crdawg2521

how is the mobility in the lizard skins?

They are very lightweight and I wear them under my pants with zero issues. I move around with ease and more confidence when fielding those ankle burner back up the middle. If I miss it...it's just a kick save away and deflected to any other infielder :biggthumpup:

On that note, I'm no burner on the bases but they didn't affect my speed (if you can call it that) on the bases.

BigWish#9

Star Player
How about sliding with the Lizard Skins shin guards on? I'm also not a burner on the base paths, but I take pride in breaking up a double play ball any time I'm on first & a ground ball is hit. Any issues doing a typical pop-slide?

crdawg2521

How about sliding with the Lizard Skins shin guards on? I'm also not a burner on the base paths, but I take pride in breaking up a double play ball any time I'm on first & a ground ball is hit. Any issues doing a typical pop-slide?

None....as you can see by the pics they have several straps from top to bottom and they don't move when you slide. I adjust them from time to time during the game but that's no different from me adjusting my junk 100 times a game either

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
Been looking at the Lizard Skins since I started reading this post. I don't play till spring, but I think I going to pick up a pair. Reviews are great to read from other players.

ANY DOWN FALLS TO THEM??

mrl112

Smarter than you're

I'm 6', 195, and got the L/XL Lizard Skins. I wish I could get them a little bit tighter. I've only slid in them once, and it wasn't particularly comfortable. Every time I wear them< I contemplate sliding headfirst, but end up not sliding. It actually hurt some, because on my bottom leg, it started to twist around to the side of my leg on the slide.

brocstar

Addicted to Softballfans
I love these things...very, very light and full shin/knee protection. I've taken a direct hit to the knee cap...didn't feel it. And a couple shots to the shins and again never felt it.

I wouldn't be walking today if I didn't have those on when I got drilled.

bodyarmor-kneeshin_1024x1024.png

How is it to run in these? Or are they taken off in between inings?

crdawg2521

I've slid in these several times with no issues and if they are sliding around on your leg you don't have them on correctly. Sure, they move around a little hear and there due to you running/jumping/sweating/etc but all guards in this category move a little. I'm 6 ft 250 lbs as a fyi and have avg sized calves/legs to give some perspective.

I keep them on the entire game under my pants

Straps are velcro with a d ring loop to tighten them up

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
How is it to run in these? Or are they taken off in between inings?

I emailed them to ask them how long the straps were before ordering, and they offered to put custom straps on them to make sure they reached around my calves. If I hadn't been too lazy to return the others I bought I'd have definitely gotten the Lizard skins. If money is no object I'd recommend.

brocstar

Addicted to Softballfans
I've slid in these several times with no issues and if they are sliding around on your leg you don't have them on correctly. Sure, they move around a little hear and there due to you running/jumping/sweating/etc but all guards in this category move a little. I'm 6 ft 250 lbs as a fyi and have avg sized calves/legs to give some perspective.

I keep them on the entire game under my pants

Straps are velcro with a d ring loop to tighten them up

What size did you get? I'm 6 feet. 200 lbs. Debating on what size to get.

aurum

Starting Player
very informative thread. picked up a worth helmet/mask today. previously had a worth face first but it's made out of plastic...