Pitching Gear and Safety

Strawberry

Shin Killer
An older thread that I haven't bumped or sold yet but I highly recommend the bmx style guards. I wear mine (other pair) whenever I feel the need and they have no issues sliding or running- ever! Point blank.

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1314738

Edit for any questions... I have been drilled wearing these! Not this pair but a pair similar. They do work and I kept playing. Ask Jbishop for proof. This was with them on! I didn't know my shin was busted until after the game. Imagine what woulda happened had I not had them on.

After the game

After playing the rest of the day

Last edited:

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
I emailed them to ask them how long the straps were before ordering, and they offered to put custom straps on them to make sure they reached around my calves. If I hadn't been too lazy to return the others I bought I'd have definitely gotten the Lizard skins. If money is no object I'd recommend.

How big are your calves? Good lord man I have plenty of extra strap on mine and I even fell they are a little long. They are elastic straps as well so they stretch plenty.

I ordered the L/XL size as a fyi

chev17

Addicted to Softballfans
That pic of the compartment syndrome was my leg. That brings back some bad memories. Three years ago KC conference tourney, 50 degrees, midnight and Dudley zn's I never had a chance. Lol I was wearing some thin soccer shin guards that obviously didn't help much

SoxFan81

Addicted to Softballfans
The first pic of the split open forehead made me sick to my stomach.if I ever take the hill I will certainly be wearing a full lacrosse style mask or some other one with full coverage

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
How big are your calves? Good lord man I have plenty of extra strap on mine and I even fell they are a little long. They are elastic straps as well so they stretch plenty.

I ordered the L/XL size as a fyi

Around 17-18, but I bought a different brand. When they came in too short, I emailed Lizard Skins to check on what they had. I just bought some two sided velcro and used the ones I have already.

crdawg2521

I love my pair...I took a direct shot to my knee cap and didn't feel a thing and the ball bounced back to the dugout. Without them guards I probably would still be limping around today.

Last edited:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got the Pro-Tecs because they were half the price, but if the game stays where it is and I continue to play at a high enough level to need them I'm definitely going to get the Lizard skins next time. I can't see these wearing out before I'm playing Senior ball though. :D

Cool_E

Star Player
Well, I have to say I am one of those people that looked at protective gear and said, 'I caught and I can use my glove or get out of the way if need be' well I now know after a full year of softball, that I was wrong. It is a different animal altogether. Balls slice and spin and hop with such exaggeration it is eye openning for sure. I was playing the outfield and having a hard enough time reading the slice on the ball when my team decided I should play infield. After taking a few ridiculous hops off of various body parts and almost killing someone with a hard throw, I am not gonna buy any more rocket launching bats, and I am going to invest in protective gear. I refuse to go middle, and believe if you have no control you shouldn't be able to use the hot bats. Second to last game I tried to backhand a low rocket that kicked up about 2.5 feet and I managed to place my wrist on it... Immediately lost all feeling in my hand and only felt pain. A few minutes and A couple bags of ice (and beers) later I regained feeling and I somehow avoided a broken wrist. The technology in bats has improved dramatically and it only makes sense that the protective gear as well as procedures should evolve at the same rate. I for one will be lobbying for mandates in our local leagues. Currently we have some stacked tourney teams playing against us Rec teams blowing people up and I'm a firm believer in competetive balance, if that cannot be achieved then we should atleast make protection our main priority.

In regard to the wrist shot, I had one of those deep bone bruises for a few weeks, still feel it if I press on the bone, and was wondering if anyone has run into any protective gear that covers the entire wrist as opposed to leaving one side vulnerable? I figure if I have to play third so we can make throws across the diamond, then I should gear up. I'm definitely getting some knee/shin guards, a cup, and A wrist guard. Havent made a decision on the helmet just yet. If I do end up pitching for my team however...

No mask, no mound!

Be safe guys.

kumslivo

Addicted to Softballfans
I use the XPROTEX Reaktr Inner Mitt Glove while I'm pitching. It has a built in wrist guard and helps protect your palm when fielding linedrives. I can't tell you how many times this glove has saved my wrist when fielding a bad hop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cool_E

Star Player
I was looking at some protek d-gel pvc leg guards, not sure if there is a significant difference between them and the lizard skins, both look awesome. I will definitely be getting the Reaktr glove and the evoshield wrist protector. Thinking about the thigh padding pants, and might do the chest protector, not sure just yet. Has anyone had any experience with the leg guards and can tell which performs best?

mrl112

Smarter than you're
Anybody wear shoulder pads? I was looking at Play It Again at some lacrosse pads, thinking about cutting off the shoulder pads, just to use the chest protector part. They have straps that go under your arms, so they should stay somewhat still. Lots of them have hard plastic pads right over the sternum area.

Anybody wear shoulder pads? I was looking at Play It Again at some lacrosse pads, thinking about cutting off the shoulder pads, just to use the chest protector part. They have straps that go under your arms, so they should stay somewhat still. Lots of them have hard plastic pads right over the sternum area.

I'm going to try the EvoShield shirt chest protector thing.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, props to all you pitchers out there. Without you we wouldn't have a sport, and you're all certifiably nuts :la: for taking on the challenge with the odds so stacked against you.

I tried to pitch this year, went about 4 innings. Got a few shots up the middle (which I was pissed I didn't get a glove on), but it wasn't for me. I didn't realize going from baseball to softball what would bother me most, and that was watching people get hits off of me. I wanted to start throwing fastballs from 50 feet and see how people would deal with that, but then I just realized softball pitching isn't my bag.

So I'll stay over here on the easy side of the rubber with a gentleman's agreement that I won't intentionally kill anyone standing out there floating me grapefruits. Keep protecting your neck boys.

Buckeye20

Addicted to Softballfans
Not to jack your thread or anything but I have a champro face mask for any pitcher or infielder in need of one , it's free just pay shipping and it's yours ! Pm Me if interested .

Cool_E

Star Player
pitching...

Well, looks like it's a good thing I got the mask from Buckeye. Just got a message asking if I was willing to pitch for our team this coming year... Looks like it's time to start practicing and acquiring a couple more pieces of battle armor. Probably going with the D-Gel Proteks. And getting a chest piece and the padded glove and the wrist guard... Probably tape a pillow or two to my body as well...

djcs1204

King Jackie!!!
One thing that I don't remember being mentioned here is, you have to PRACTICE fielding your position. Play pepper, have guys hit at you in BP with metal or wood and .52's. Just like any other fielder, you have to sharpen your skills. Gear up in BP, and take some shots. It will help.

crdawg2521

One thing that I don't remember being mentioned here is, you have to PRACTICE fielding your position. Play pepper, have guys hit at you in BP with metal or wood and .52's. Just like any other fielder, you have to sharpen your skills. Gear up in BP, and take some shots. It will help.

I agree 100% with this...That's why I really don't like pitching BP behind a net as I just let them go and then usually the very first live game a one hopper gets on me a little fast and I forgot I need to field it now.

mrl112

Smarter than you're

I'm planning on armoring up for BP over the winter in the cages to do this.

Cool_E

Star Player
Aww dude... I'm pretty sure they still transmit the same overwhelming pain throughout the body even if your shooting blanks... Sorry to hear that...

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
I love these things...very, very light and full shin/knee protection. I've taken a direct hit to the knee cap...didn't feel it. And a couple shots to the shins and again never felt it.

I wouldn't be walking today if I didn't have those on when I got drilled.

bodyarmor-kneeshin_1024x1024.png

Just ordered mine, my "update" for the 2014 seasons. Found them for $38 and change at a Construction Supply website. Seeing $60 and up at the Motocross/ Biking websites.

ALo4

Grit-Grind-Grizz
the nuttybuddy has actually been around for a while. i have been wearing a shock doctor and love it. the two piece design seems to really absorb impact. i have taken a couple of solid thumps from our not so favorable fields around here.