Pitching Gear and Safety

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I may have to invest in the Lizard skins. Where I had to make my own strap extensions they dug into my ankle around the achilles this past weekend. I ended up going back to my soccer style for the last game.

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
So I was between the Lizard skins and the broom ball pads. I ordered the Lizard Skins today....

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
Vertical-Updated-Protek.jpg

Psycho those do look nice, appears to be a lower "profile" than the Skins. If mine don't work out or I don't like them, I'll snag a pair of these.

Any place to find these broom ball pads at a better price like the lizard skins ones at geotech.

World B Free

Addicted to Softballfans
Here is a question... I am toting around a LAX helmet, O2 shin guards, 2 gloves and the rest of the quintessential softball gear... I have been through 2 roller bags, 2 Bat Packs all of different brand and size. I can't seem to find a bag that will a)fit all my gear b)stand up to a year of travel and use or c) combines style and reasonable pricing with functionality...

What is everyone rolling around with these days and where can i get it?

Old JB

Addicted to Softballfans
Here is a question... I am toting around a LAX helmet, O2 shin guards, 2 gloves and the rest of the quintessential softball gear... I have been through 2 roller bags, 2 Bat Packs all of different brand and size. I can't seem to find a bag that will a)fit all my gear b)stand up to a year of travel and use or c) combines style and reasonable pricing with functionality...

Interested in for an answer as well.

brocstar

Addicted to Softballfans

The tanel 360 was an awesome bag I used however I now have the Louisville series 7 ton bag

mrl112

Smarter than you're

I've been using a Boombah Superpack and it works well. I hang my helmet on a pair of the bats on one side, and have my shin guards upside down, spooning, laying across the top of the bag between the bats on each side.

Sixes

K C C O
Hey guys, I roll around with two bats, a lacrosse helmet, cleats, shins and a few balls in an Easton WalkOff II bat pack. It works like a charm.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Combat Derby Roller and have room to spare. I have a Faceoff, two pair of shinguards, two gloves, and some balls in mine. I only have 4 bats though, so that takes some of the stress off the bag. I've found the bigger the bag, the more crap I don't need I try and put in it. The Combat is very big, but I haven't filled it up yet.

I could get it all in a backpack, but I'd have to pack my mask with something else and I didn't want to damage that on something else in my bag. Don't want to find out you knocked a piece off when a ball is hitting it. :D

mrl112

Smarter than you're
What kind of chest protector/heart guards are you all wearing? I think that's my next purchase. Evoshield? Motocross? Hockey? Lacrosse shoulder pads with the shoulders removed.

knuckleball14

Addicted to Softballfans
I have used the Rip-It Defense face mask for the past 4 years. Visibility is great. The only problem I had with it was the chin pad didn't want to stay attached after the first year. That was a simple fix though. I bought some sticky-back Velcro and stuck the fuzzy side on the chin pad; the prickly side you can just throw in the trash. I have been considering getting the Worth Softball Pitchers Helmet for the past few years and think that this is the year that I will finally make the upgrade to the helmet.

Legend 94

Addicted to Softballfans
What kind of chest protector/heart guards are you all wearing? I think that's my next purchase. Evoshield? Motocross? Hockey? Lacrosse shoulder pads with the shoulders removed.

I picked up one of the Reebok padded hockey shirts and it works great. Comfort level is good and hitting with it on is no issue...

RBK%207K%20Padded%20shirt%20image1.jpg

leftcenter01

on the down slope
Ordered a pair of lizard skins with the knee pad included this weekend. I wear a worth helmet, cup, and soccer shin guards but always worry about my knees. I just think that the knee is the hardest part of the body to stop a liner if its hit right at me so Im going to eliminate that worry.:thumb:

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
I got a pair of lizard skins. Think I am going to order the ones from the broomball site. Just not a fan how bulky the skins are.. Lmk if anyone is interested.

Dirtbags79

Addicted to Softballfans
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I have had them and liked them but I like these MUCH better. I've had these for 3yrs now with no issues and taken a few nasty shots off the knee's and shins and no bruising at all. I swear by them.

http://www.midwestbroomball.com/D-Gel-PROTEK-BR-PVC-Leg-Guards-Pads-P56C9.aspx

Purchased these on Tuesday, they arrived on Friday. Used them in tournament on Saturday. Well worth the money!!! Put them on under pants and they were hardly noticeable. Very light and easy to run with.

newram05

Addicted to Softballfans
Purchased these on Tuesday, they arrived on Friday. Used them in tournament on Saturday. Well worth the money!!! Put them on under pants and they were hardly noticeable. Very light and easy to run with.

These seem to becoming quite popular! Might have to invest...

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got a pair of lizard skins. Think I am going to order the ones from the broomball site. Just not a fan how bulky the skins are.. Lmk if anyone is interested.

I was till you said they were bulky. LOL

I'd like to see these in person. I'm not concerned about my knees though. I'm just not sure those broomball ones would fit well on my calves.

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans

Glad I could help you out with them and glad that you like them!

I was till you said they were bulky. LOL
I'm just not sure those broomball ones would fit well on my calves.

Bro, just how big are your calves?:eek:

newram05

Addicted to Softballfans
Gonna bring this back to life... Took a shot this week with el cheapo's shin guards on and thought it broke my leg! Bruised, lower leg swollen, and bruising on my ankle now... Not going to happen anymore! Been pitching for 10+ yrs and my first shin shot. Just orders the Midwest broomball guards... Hope the come by Wednesday!

Pitching safety is so overlooked, be safe in a game we play for fun.

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
Gonna bring this back to life... Took a shot this week with el cheapo's shin guards on and thought it broke my leg! Bruised, lower leg swollen, and bruising on my ankle now... Not going to happen anymore! Been pitching for 10+ yrs and my first shin shot. Just orders the Midwest broomball guards... Hope the come by Wednesday!

Pitching safety is so overlooked, be safe in a game we play for fun.

Smart man right here, mine have never failed me. I have taken a few nasty shots over the last 2yrs and they deff saved my shins and knees for sure. I love mine, had mine for at least 4yrs and they are holding up very well.

Legend 94

Addicted to Softballfans
Has anyone used these shin guards and been hit in the shin with them on? Just wanted to see if they can take the impact of a line drive. Also how's their mobility while batting and running?

http://www.midwestbroomball.com/D-Gel-Deluxe-555-Broomball-BR-Knee-and-Shin-Pads-Guards-P34.aspx

I've been hit a few times now but the most memorable was at the TOC in Florida in February. I took and absolute rocket off the cap that covers the knee! I bought these as an upgrade to my previous broomball shin guards that simply covered the shin just before that tournament and it was the best $$ I ever spent. I have no doubt that shot would have shattered my knee cap but I didn't even have a bruise wearing the D-Gels! They give great protection, fir well under my pants and are no issue to run in. I'd highly recommend them to anyone who pitches.

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
So I am now almost two full seasons into this year and am a little discouraged with my Lizard Skins Shin Guards. I am 47 and have had NO knee problems in the 30+ years I've been playing (outside of the high school football injury I think most of us have) and have a lot of problems this year with my knees after wearing these. I'm playing two nights a week at this point.

Anyone else seeing anything like this with this brand or the others being talked about?

Last edited:

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Anyone playing with those broomball guards having issues with the strap behind the knee rubbing their knee raw on a long day?

Jammer

Coach
Just read through this thread again. I've been thinking seriously about doing some pitching, lifetime outfielder that's getting older and slower. One question: what's the best helmet option for wearing glasses? I wear prescription sunglasses or regular glasses in the field and would need something that I can still wear them but also have them be protected.