Pitching Gear and Safety

Cool_E

Star Player
gearing up...

Ok so I got the mask, the nutty buddy, ( which I have to say fits better than traditional cups.) If your short with thick legs go by the weight scale for sizing not the height... I'm torn between those lizardskins and the d-gels but now that I saw that deal I might just be smart and cost effective. Gonna grab the evoshield and the padded glove with added wrist pad. Gotta look into a glove now. I have a cheapy Wilson outfield mit. Thinking of picking up a thicker mit for pitching. Bad idea to go shorter like 12.75 or stay with a 14? Any recommendations on a good mit for pitching that isn't as pricy as a new bat?

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm using a 13" right now (I think). 14 could be too big, but it's more of what's comfortable for you to move around. Definitely would NOT got with the shorter infielder gloves as you want more leather on you than less. IMHO

denthepitcher

SF Native
One thing that I don't remember being mentioned here is, you have to PRACTICE fielding your position. Play pepper, have guys hit at you in BP with metal or wood and .52's. Just like any other fielder, you have to sharpen your skills. Gear up in BP, and take some shots. It will help.

This is so true.

I used to have a drill where I would simulate* a pitch then have a team mate hit grounders to me as I was backing up. This forced me to have quick feet, get set and focus on the ball. Do 5 in a row and catch your breath, then 5 more with a little more velocity and so on.

* We simulate a pitch instead of real pitching because of how often the pitched ball and batted ball would hit each other.

SliderXC

Addicted to Softballfans

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
Do these fit well under baseball pants? I have field hockey shin guards that you can't even tell are being worn, but don't cover my knee.

Here are the pics of the shin guards, got some of them off and then on.

F80557C4-E88A-46CE-9CAE-7CE83CD95845-5296-00000655C4C85713.jpg

7E04503D-7DF6-4F0E-A768-437D6DED33ED-5296-00000655BB86015A.jpg

This is NOT me, but the first guy I saw on here with them that gave me the idea to get them. It appears if you have the "Pro-Style" pants they should fit well. I'm pretty sure they should fit under my pants. (Worth Wiked's).

I haven't received notification they've shipped (ordered two days ago) but when I do get them I'll suit up (if I can still fit into my pants due to winter midmass augmentation :eek:) and take a pic as to how they fit. :pics:

JStout863

Softball is Dumb
I haven't received notification they've shipped (ordered two days ago) but when I do get them I'll suit up (if I can still fit into my pants due to winter midmass augmentation :eek:) and take a pic as to how they fit. :pics:

Same here. I have my Tyja's from last year I can throw on over them when I get them to show you guys

mrl112

Smarter than you're
I have 3 different style Boombahs that I wear my Lizard Skins with the knee pads underneath of. One of the pairs is a little bit tighter, but they're still not really noticable. My baggiest ones, you can't even tell. 6', 195, L/XL shin guards.

Cool_E

Star Player
lizard skins.

I ordered my shin/knee guards from the site you mentioned. Geo supply. Got them and they are sweet. You should check them out if you are interested in them guys. Just waiting for my new wrist protector and protek glove. Just got a Vinci from a board bro and it should arrive this week. Only thing left to grab is a chest protector.

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
Cool E - when did you order them? I ordered mine last week and haven't got a shipping update that they have left the facility.

*EDIT* Mine showed during the lunch hour...GTS forgot to update the status for my acct.

Will try them on tonight and get pics of how they fit under my Softball pants.

Last edited:

Cool_E

Star Player
Yeah I was concerned that they didn't offer the different sizes so I assumed LG/XL. Thought the S/M would be better for a midget like myself, 5'9" 195. Good thing they were LG. Finding out that the weight scale for sizing is more accurate than height. The straps fit well with a bit of excess. The pads run almost all the way down to my foot which I am happy about. I'm gonna snap some pics shortly. Have to see how running goes to decide weather I'm keeping them on all game or taking them off...

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
Ok, got my Lizard Skins in today at lunch and put them on tonight when I got home and took some pics in my Uniform Pants. Here ya go...me in all my glory (well...not THAT glory! :D )

I am wearing the Worth Wiked pants and they show a bit more than I expected, but do feel comfortable under. Movement didn't feel restricted at all, but I haven't tried running yet. I will say this tho...if you get these...make sure you center the velcro straps on themselves when you secure them on the back, otherwise the rough part will snag your pants from the inside. Discovered that when I was pulling the leg up in the pic below.:yell::arg: Legs were a bit sweaty when I took them off, had them on for maybe 15 minutes. Really won't be a big deal for me, so not gonna worry about that right now.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'10" 208# (and decreasing...)

Last edited:
Ok so 5'9"- 5'10" need to go after the large? Thinking about picking some up now.

Guess a calf measurement couldn't hurt either. Maybe right above the knee, right below the knee, and the largest part of the calf.

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
Would say go with the LG, Altho it was the only size available. There is tons of room left with the straps.

I have less than avg calves...unless you have sprinter calves, you should be ok

Would say go with the LG, Altho it was the only size available. There is tons of room left with the straps.

I have less than avg calves...unless you have sprinter calves, you should be ok

Thanks.

I've been called chicken leg, just ran a tape. Standing around largest part of calf just over 15". Damn that's a small number for a calf. 17" above knee, and 14" below. Just above ankle 9 1/2" With those measurements I may just go with a medium...lol

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
Do these fit well under baseball pants? I have field hockey shin guards that you can't even tell are being worn, but don't cover my knee.

I have the Lizard Skins on in this pic and it's the full knee/shin combo set. These are the absolute best knee/shin guard combo on the market today.

1382847_657408800947535_1305770498_n.jpg

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
I have the Lizard Skins on in this pic and it's the full knee/shin combo set. These are the absolute best knee/shin guard combo on the market today.

1382847_657408800947535_1305770498_n.jpg

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I have had them and liked them but I like these MUCH better. I've had these for 3yrs now with no issues and taken a few nasty shots off the knee's and shins and no bruising at all. I swear by them.

http://www.midwestbroomball.com/D-Gel-PROTEK-BR-PVC-Leg-Guards-Pads-P56C9.aspx

JStout863

Softball is Dumb
Just got mine in. They drop shipped direct from Lizard Skins. Had me worried since I didn't get any sort of ship notification. I'll try to get a pic of them on later tonight

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
Just got mine in. They drop shipped direct from Lizard Skins. Had me worried since I didn't get any sort of ship notification. I'll try to get a pic of them on later tonight

Same thing happened with me, I shot them an email Monday morning and they were on my desk by LUNCH! Talk about Customer Service! :D Guy replied and said they'd had forgot to update the shipping info.

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans

ddd

Addicted to Softballfans
Now I am going back and forth. I was set on the Lizard Skins. Now seeing how low pro the broom ball pads are I am liking those. I know in broom ball they are doing tons of running around.

Cool_E

Star Player
I got to do some BP and shag some balls with the skins on. I was tracking balls down with them, they didn't slip or spin. I let a few balls hit me in the shin and they work great. No rockets off them yet, but I'm sure that will happen soon enough... Took a second to not walk like a cowboy, then I rocked them for at least 2 hrs. Got my new Protek glove with the wrist padding, it helped with those liners in the outfield. The new Vinci is breaking in nicely, almost broken in and feels great. Only thing to report was my first swing of BP jacked something up in my hand. The fat part of the hand below the thumb decided not to play... Felt like I was hitting the worst handle or end cap shots ever... Few swings and all the same result... Ended up swinging and letting go with my top hand and basically swinging one handed... Hopefully it's just a one time thing cus I really like using my top hand when swinging... Anyway, the guards work well, hadn't intended on using them in the outfield, if they work there, they will work infield.

cwr117

Fun in fundamental.
Any of you guys have a faceoff lying around you want to part with?

Looking for a large, don't really care about color.